Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/16/2012 11:13:40 AM EDT

I am going to have an old school Milled Bulgarian Ak built pretty soon. I have the plastic stock and bakelite handguards and a kit from Whatacountry. The stock shows signs of being used in the Balkans War. What would be the correct markings to use on the receiver (i.e. trunion area). Did the older ones have the Circle ten or other markings on them. Anyone have a pic?

Also, am going to go with a Milled receiver from CNC Warrior. Any opinions on them? Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The Bulgarian selector marks are a letter different from the Russian, be sure to double check that. Everything else depends on how detailed you want to get ie proof marks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am going to have an old school Milled Bulgarian Ak built pretty soon. I have the plastic stock and bakelite handguards and a kit from Whatacountry. The stock shows signs of being used in the Balkans War. What would be the correct markings to use on the receiver (i.e. trunion area). Did the older ones have the Circle ten or other markings on them. Anyone have a pic?

Also, am going to go with a Milled receiver from CNC Warrior. Any opinions on them? Thanks.

It's cool that you're building a Bulgarian Type 3 clone (AKK), but what specific kind of signs are you referring to on the stock?

I've heard the term "battle field pickup" in reference to AK's a number of times, which I understand, but never really understood the Balkan reference to AK's. I'm no history buff, but to my understanding, there were two Balkan Wars, and they both took place in 1912 and 1913, which is about 35 years before the Soviet AK-47, and about 45 years before Arsenal of Bulgaria's Factory 10 started production of the Type 3 AK-47 (AKK) back in 1956. And with specific regard to your Bulgarian AG-4 bakelite/plastic stock set, Arsenal did not start producing those until even later.....maybe the mid 1970's.

With regard to factory markings, an early Bulgarian AK-47 might actually have Bulgarian and Soviet (Izhmash) markings on the reciever. This is because for some time, the parts were difficult for Arsenal to produce, so parts were initially imported from the Soviet Union (Izhevsk) and assemled in-house. The two picture below show close-up shots of the left and right side of such an early Bulgarian AK-47. The left side shows the Soviet Izhmash logo and Bulgarian Factory 10 logo, while the right side shows Soviet selector markings. The above picture would, of course, be a later model with bakelite/plastic stock set. It clearly shows only Bulgarian markings.

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Owen and TT for your responses. I'm aware that the selector markings are different. I'm most curious about any other markings on the receiver, such as the pics that TT posted. I just wasn't sure what the markings were on the older Type 3 Bulgarian Ak's, not sure that Factory 10 existed back then, and if they used the Circle 10 stamp.

Sorry TT, I stand corrected on the use of the Balkan War term. I meant to say the Yugoslavian Wars of the nineties, not sure what the offical name is. The pics posted above are exactly what I am going to have built. I originally bought the kit to make a Russian Type 3 clone (which I bought another kit for), but thought the stock was cool and different that I decided to build a Milled Bulgarian as well. It has a large round sticker on the right side that was obtained from a Hotel in Salzburg Austria and says "Hotel-Pension Hanneshof G'Sund Bleib'm, Filzmoos Salzburger Land Telefon (06453) 275/276. There is also a small heart shaped sticker that says "verliebt Unterhof Alm Filzmoos" next to the large sticker. There are the letters "APE" and a Serbian Cross scratched into the plastic next to the heart sticker, as well as a shield or coat of arms of some sort with "HVO" scratched directly above it..

The left side of the stock has "HVO" lightly scratched in bubble letters. I couldn't resist making the kit into a rifle knowing that it was most likely used in a conflict and looks to have been there and done that. I have everything I need for the build except for the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Found a pic of it.

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The historical aspect of the stock is definately cool.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
... as well as a shield or coat of arms of some sort with "HVO" scratched directly above it..

The left side of the stock has "HVO" lightly scratched in bubble letters. I couldn't resist making the kit into a rifle knowing that it was most likely used in a conflict and looks to have been there and done that. I have everything I need for the build except for the receiver.

The abbreviation "HVO" signifies the Croatian Defence Council ("Hrvatsko vijeće obrane"), one of the many para-military forces formed during the various Yugo wars of the 90s.

Does the shield  have a checkerboard pattern on it?  If so, it's meant to represent the Croatian coat-of-arms.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... as well as a shield or coat of arms of some sort with "HVO" scratched directly above it..

The abbreviation "HVO" signifies the Croatian Defence Council ("Hrvatsko vijeće obrane"), one of the many para-military forces formed during the various Yugo wars of the 90s.

Does the shield have a checkerboard pattern on it? If so, it's meant to represent the Croatian coat-of-arms.

Thanks for the info Richard. Yes, the shield does have a checkerboard on it. I definitely want to build this rifle now.

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top