Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/16/2012 9:12:10 AM EDT
The goal of this project is to educate those who would want a historically accurate possible clone of the Russian AKS-74N.  This is my first build gun that I have ever attempted on getting made. I will update the project as parts come in.  Comments are welcomed, I would like to know if I am headed in the right direction or there are some improvements I could make in parts.  
Parts of the project:

• AK-74 Plum Parts Kit: Year 1988

• 74U LLC AKS-74 Receiver

• Russian Triangle Side Folding Stock from K-VAR

• RMP-3 Optics Rails from Collectors Source

• Bulgarian 5.45 Barrel from Atlantic Firearms

• Red Star Arms Trigger (the trigger pull is to be set between 4.5-5lbs)

• Krebs Custom Trigger Pin Retaining Plate

922R parts: Receiver, Red Star Arms FCG, Mag follower and Mag plate. (Wanted to limit 922R on actual rifle).

Total investment minus building cost: $1,120

Pictures of the AK-74 Parts Kit:

Pictures of the Bulgarian Barrel:

RMP-3 Optics Rail completely historically accurate.

All the parts minus the RSA FCG.

Pictures for inspiration:

Something to notice on the above rifle is that it is using a later style optics rail that was used when the AK-74M introduced.  In addition, it is wearing the matte plum pistol grip that was introduced in 1988, I am using the shiny version due to that was what used on the AKS-74 Plum.

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#1]
akbuilder pistol grip reinforcement plate
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
akbuilder pistol grip reinforcement plate

The receiver will already have a reinforcement plate installed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
well even better!
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 4:45:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
well even better!

The only down side I am looking at is that I am using the new generation 5.5mm pin side folding butt stock instead of the correct one.  Unless anyone knows where I can find one?
This what I am using:

Here is a side folding stock from a 1986 Plum AKS-74.  This is what I should be using:
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 5:18:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the 5.5 will work just fine. Very few people will be concerned about the small details like you are. Go to theakforum if you want someone to criticize. I think it will be a fine example when done.
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 5:48:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think the 5.5 will work just fine. Very few people will be concerned about the small details like you are. Go to theakforum if you want someone to criticize. I think it will be a fine example when done.

True and the newer design does have less recoil and better ergonomics (holy crap I am sounding like a AR15 guy to justify a part).
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Got rid of the the FA sear and rate reducer.  Something I am wonder with the FA selector switch is it possible to use a retaining plate with it?  Also are there some certain FCGs that are not completable?
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Got rid of the the FA sear and rate reducer.  Something I am wonder with the FA selector switch is it possible to use a retaining plate with it?  Also are there some certain FCGs that are not completable?

OP stated he's using a Red Star trigger. That being said, yes, you can use a retaining plate with an FA trigger w/ rate reducer, it's just a PITA.

Link Posted: 1/20/2012 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Update.  Got my folding stock and possible trade for the proper stock in the works.  Receiver is going to be a few weeks off due to orders.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 7:03:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Update: Contacted Mario at POHF for a work request for the following:
•Goal: Make a Russian late 80s AKS-74N clone.
•Install the RMP-3 Optics Rail.
•Repaint SN’s white on the bolt, bolt carrier & front trunnion in the proper Russian fashion.
•Don’t refinish rear sight or silver FCG pins, want to keep the same.
•Try to use Russian or Bulgarian rivets if possible.
•Install Red Star 2 stage trigger, set to a 4.5-5lbs trigger pull then use red Loctite to keep adjustments in place
•Install Krebs Custom Trigger Pin Retaining Plate if possible.
•Refinish the rifle in Norrells Moly Resin over Parka.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Here are some pics of the stock I am getting thanks to sdrake100:
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 4:06:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm glad you got a 4.5mm stock, I wouldn't want you to go to all the time and trouble (especially on a Mario build) and not have the correct folder.

This project is on my radar too but I keep waffling. I had an 88 kit myself but sold it last year because I didn't think I was going to get around to another professional build, but I've been thinking about it again. I really want a plum AKS74 to round out the collection.

Z
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm glad you got a 4.5mm stock, I wouldn't want you to go to all the time and trouble (especially on a Mario build) and not have the correct folder.

This project is on my radar too but I keep waffling. I had an 88 kit myself but sold it last year because I didn't think I was going to get around to another professional build, but I've been thinking about it again. I really want a plum AKS74 to round out the collection.

Z

Z,
Thanks for the interest.  I just got my quote from Mario of $655 to build it.  Right now I am just waiting on getting my stock and the RSA FCG.  I never knew that building a rifle like this was going to be so expensive.  But on the up side of things I should be getting my Krink back from Rifle Dynamics in a few weeks, I just got my CLEO to sign off on the SBR and that will be going to the ATF for approval.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#14]
To have a good builder work some magic...it's not cheap thats for sure. I'm really happy with my SGL31-44 that I sent to Mario last year, only thing is like a doof I forgot to ask him to add a PG plate

The quality of the work is top notch and worth the cost to me, particularly since I already overpaid $300 for the -44 model because it was the initial batch of SGL31's that KVar said they would never get again. I just need to figure out how to get the GB and FSB dimples on it and I'll be really happy

Can't wait to see your 88 come back from Mario, I know it will be the hotness. Also good luck with the ATF, I'm at 5 months and counting for my AK105 paperwork. Shouldn't be too much longer though

Z
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 1:25:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
To have a good builder work some magic...it's not cheap thats for sure. I'm really happy with my SGL31-44 that I sent to Mario last year, only thing is like a doof I forgot to ask him to add a PG plate

The quality of the work is top notch and worth the cost to me, particularly since I already overpaid $300 for the -44 model because it was the initial batch of SGL31's that KVar said they would never get again. I just need to figure out how to get the GB and FSB dimples on it and I'll be really happy

Can't wait to see your 88 come back from Mario, I know it will be the hotness. Also good luck with the ATF, I'm at 5 months and counting for my AK105 paperwork. Shouldn't be too much longer though

Z

Well its going to get mailed off sometime this week.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 5:12:09 AM EDT
[#16]
can't wait to see it when it gets back! Glad you got the right folder also. Going to make it that much better!
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey! Those are my hands in those pictures!

Glad I could help you out. Keep us updated on the build. I'm in the process of building an AK105 and I'm waiting on the right parts as well. It's always worth the patience to wait.

Zen, are you building from scratch or using an SGL31-94 as a base?
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll get one of the 88 Izzy kits like Stiz (if they're still around in a few months) and see if I work a dope deal with a friend for the 4.5mm folder hardware. Already have an 83 pattern laminate AKS74 and the 74M (SGL31-44 and -61 converted to folders) so this is the one I'm missing, along with RPK74.

I think it's a great project and look forward to his finished rifle.

Z
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 1:40:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'll get one of the 88 Izzy kits like Stiz (if they're still around in a few months) and see if I work a dope deal with a friend for the 4.5mm folder hardware. Already have an 83 pattern laminate AKS74 and the 74M (SGL31-44 and -61 converted to folders) so this is the one I'm missing, along with RPK74.

I think it's a great project and look forward to his finished rifle.

Z

Oh, I meant the AK-105. Sorry.

If you need a sidefolder in 4.5mm I have more.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Z

Z,
Need to keep track also I am getting my SGL-31 done up with the AK-74M stock, getting the PG plate installed and having the dimples added on the GB and FSB.  Just had to try to make you jealous since you have a 1P29 that I want .
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Can't wait to see this rifle when she's completed!
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Z

Z,
Need to keep track also I am getting my SGL-31 done up with the AK-74M stock, getting the PG plate installed and having the dimples added on the GB and FSB.  Just had to try to make you jealous since you have a 1P29 that I want .

The 1P29 is an awesome scope. I have one in my collection as well. Highly recommended. The E.G. Zeiss ZFK is also an awesome scope.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
 Just had to try to make you jealous since you have a 1P29 that I want .

Oh I'll be plenty jealous when that 88 is done
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:17:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Update: building a 1969 Soviet AKM Project

If you missed the picture, here is all the parts before I shipped:
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Update: building a 1969 Soviet AKM Project

If you missed the picture, here is all the parts before I shipped:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/402095_10150560170683682_510918681_9282678_854638131_n.jpg

Nice.  Looks like someone paid a visit to rguns with these two projects.  I'm on the same boat.  My 74U LLC receivers will be done in about a week I was told :)

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:19:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Well heck, I went ahead and bought NinerRider's 88 Izzy and a 4.5 triangle from TW4

This thread is costing me a lot of money

Z
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:19:25 AM EDT
[#27]
DT

Z
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:37:41 AM EDT
[#28]
well that looks familiar.......

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well heck, I went ahead and bought NinerRider's 88 Izzy and a 4.5 triangle from TW4

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/FS/TULA-IZZY/88IZZY01.JPG

This thread is costing me a lot of money

Z

Very nice!
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 3:27:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Update, Mario has received my receivers and it should be done within a month.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top