Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/24/2011 1:51:37 PM EDT
I have decided to make my Mini Draco into a twin of my 7.5" Spike's Tactical AR-15 SBR. In addition to the modified MI rail and an ACE AR style folding mechanism, I am also adding to the Mini the following parts already on my AR-15 SBR: BCM buffer tube, Noveske end plate with QD hole and sling swivel, Magpul CTR stock,  KAC VFG, and a KAC handstop w/ QD sling swivel. The Noveske end plate with the QD hole will be better than the holes in the stock so it will not matter if the stock is folded or not. Also, the KAC handstop will give me a front sling attachment point.

I know there is a debate about whether 922r applies, but i am assuming it does and adding a Tapco G2 FCG. The slant brake is US made, plus the rail and stock, which cobined are enough. The pistol grip is Russian.

I just finished the Form 1 and length with the stock extended and no brake is 28 3/8". With the stock folded (18") or no stock (17"), the Mini is almost exactly the same length as the 7.5" AR upper with a Troy Claymore. All the parts are in except the handstop and buffer tube. I get my Sheriff's signature and prints on Tuesday and the form will go out that day. In the next few weeks I will send it out for engraving. I will drill and tap the back for the Ace folder the day my stamp comes back and will update this thread. Let the wait begin.

In the meantime, it was easy to mock up by laying it on top of the AR and next to the parts.

I know some purists do not like the AR meets AK concept. I was in that camp and still am for the most part. However, it seems okay to me since this one started out with a hotdog bun anyway. Ever since I saw Gardner's post in here, I knew I wanted a CTR stock and rail on a Draco. I think I might get another Mini and add a modified MI rail and handstop, but keep it as a pistol because I like it so much.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice stick.  Does the VFG get in the way of mag changes?
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nice stick.  Does the VFG get in the way of mag changes?

I haven't used the VFG on the Mini because I can't put it on yet.  I do use the VFG on my SBR AR and on my 16" Colt. I have used the KAC VFG on full size AKs too with the MI rail. I tend to keep them  in close like I have it on the AR. AK mags do need more room than AR mags to get in an out due to the angle. It looks like it is a bit too tight for the Mini in some of the pics- one for sure, but it would still work pretty close to the mag. In the pic with the stock in the position it would be when folded - 4th pic- there would be enough clearance.  Also, when actually attached on the rail, the VFG will be up some. As far as quick reloads, a VFG in close may slow you down a bit on mag changes, but it is just a semi.

I used to hate the look of ARs with VFG and made fun of them, until I used one. Now I prefer them.

Link Posted: 7/24/2011 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice twins you've got there. I'd put a Claymore-style brake on the AK too, personally. I'm sure someone (maybe even Troy?) makes one in 14mm LH. That would be sweet.

As for the VFG, you'll definitely want a shorty-style. The shorter the better. It's easily workable if you're not in a hurry but during matches and such my VFGs always got in the way during quick mag changes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 4:05:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Does the claymore work pretty well?
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 5:22:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice twins you've got there. I'd put a Claymore-style brake on the AK too, personally. I'm sure someone (maybe even Troy?) makes one in 14mm LH. That would be sweet.

As for the VFG, you'll definitely want a shorty-style. The shorter the better. It's easily workable if you're not in a hurry but during matches and such my VFGs always got in the way during quick mag changes.

You are probably right- I am going to try a shorter VFG. I am also going to look into the Claymore for the Mini too.

In response to the next post- Yes the Troy does a good job for its size of moving the concussion effect away from the shooter. From the shooter's perspective, it is a huge step up from the A2 birdcage I had on it at first. The Flaming Pig and the PWS CQB may do a bit better, but the trade off in size is an issue.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are probably right- I am going to try a shorter VFG. I am also going to look into the Claymore for the Mini too.

In response to the next post- Yes the Troy does a good job for its size of moving the concussion effect away from the shooter. From the shooter's perspective, it is a huge step up from the A2 birdcage I had on it at first. The Flaming Pig and the PWS CQB may do a bit better, but the trade off in size is an issue.

I've been trying to decide on a brake, but don't have experience with anything other than the birdcage. I'm looking at battlecomp, pws and the claymore. Huge price differences between them...
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Any linear brake does essentially the same thing, which is directing the muzzle blast downrange away from the shooter. That includes the Noveske, Levang, Kies, Troy, and Com-Bloc bell shaped and 4-piece brakes.

The PWS and Battlecomp brakes don't function on the same principles. They will be louder to the shooter and those immediately around him, and (depending on the model) suppress flash also. These will reduce felt recoil and muzzle climb more effectively. Overall, they are significantly better designs, but they will not send the blast downrange like the linear brakes will.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:08:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any linear brake does essentially the same thing, which is directing the muzzle blast downrange away from the shooter. That includes the Noveske, Levang, Kies, Troy, and Com-Bloc bell shaped and 4-piece brakes.

The PWS and Battlecomp brakes don't function on the same principles. They will be louder to the shooter and those immediately around him, and (depending on the model) suppress flash also. These will reduce felt recoil and muzzle climb more effectively. Overall, they are significantly better designs, but they will not send the blast downrange like the linear brakes will.

I would add that the J-Tac from PWS does as good a job at reducing muzzle climb as the PWS FSC....but for almost half the price ($55).....it doesn't reduce flash at all though.

Just another option for ya.

Sean
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would add that the J-Tac from PWS does as good a job at reducing muzzle climb as the PWS FSC....but for almost half the price ($55).....it doesn't reduce flash at all though.

Just another option for ya.

Sean

Cool, thanks. My wallet's telling me PWS, but my mind's telling me Battlecomp!
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#10]
My Battlecomp is coming in this week. Will post pictures and a report after I have had a chance to run a few hundred rounds through it.

ETA: I love the Battlecomp on my Bullpup and I am sure the AK version will perform the same. The avitar picture has my suppressed barrel on it, not my 5.56 Battlecomped barrel.

MadDog
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I put my Form 1 in the mail just now. I am looking for a stubby VFG. I cut my KAC down and it looks okay, but I am considering a Tango Down stubby.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#12]
loving it.  i'm going to do the same thing, except i'll add automatic parts as well.  glad to hear about the jtac vs the other pws units, that'll help.

this is pretty much the same build i'd like to mock up and try, so i'm glad i was turned onto the thread.  thanks!
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top