Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/15/2011 4:33:32 PM EDT
Who posted that rear paracord through the grip sling. I just got a mini. I will not have interweb till next Tuesday and the iPhone is not an optimal search tool on Arfcom. So far I've cut the muzzle nut off and browned my bun(stained the hotdog bun grip). I think I'm the only one who likes the bun. I also bought an allen head stainless bolt which I cut long enough to allow for a lockwasher. I actually got it to thread in further than the stock bolt. I blue loctighted it in and hope it works. I need to go to my parents ranch and pull my metal/checkered wood grip off another ak and stain it to match. I think it will look cool. Anyway I remember you cut a slot in the rear of the grip and used heatshrink to wrap the paracord. What knot did you use? Did you put the heatshrink around the paracord by the grip screw? A hopeful thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I am the one who posted pictures of my single point sling attachment. I don't really know what you call the knot that I tied. I cut a piece of paracord, formed a loop, tied one end around one looped side, tied the other end around the other looped side and pulled on the ends of the loop so the knots slid together. Kind of like a double slip knot. I then cut a piece of heat shrink tubing just large enough to cover the knot. The tubing is only there to form two seperate loops on both ends of sling attachment and to hold the center section in place. The tubing as no structural integrity. You then take the grip off, slip one looped end over the grip stud and tighten the grip back down. The grip stud is what takes all the weight of the gun hanging from the sling. I cut a channel in the rubber of the top grip surface so the loop would sit flush with the receiver. If you don't then your grip is going to have a gap between the upper grip surface and the receiver.

Thehellbringer:  Where do you live in CO?  I am up in Longmont and shoot at Front Range in Loveland quite often.  If you are ever in the area let me know and you can check it out first hand.

Hope this makes sense,

MadDog

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 2:23:06 AM EDT
[#2]
You can also use a grommet kit and strap found in the camping section at Walmart, works great and cheap. Cut out length of strap and add grommets, no need to cut out anything.

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy165/liquidtrip420/DSCN0607-2.jpg
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#3]
you can also just weld a ring or heavy washer to the rear trunnion, and try to put it on axis to line up with the bore.

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am the one who posted pictures of my single point sling attachment. I don't really know what you call the knot that I tied. I cut a piece of paracord, formed a loop, tied one end around one looped side, tied the other end around the other looped side and pulled on the ends of the loop so the knots slid together. Kind of like a double slip knot. I then cut a piece of heat shrink tubing just large enough to cover the knot. The tubing is only there to form two seperate loops on both ends of sling attachment and to hold the center section in place. The tubing as no structural integrity. You then take the grip off, slip one looped end over the grip stud and tighten the grip back down. The grip stud is what takes all the weight of the gun hanging from the sling. I cut a channel in the rubber of the top grip surface so the loop would sit flush with the receiver. If you don't then your grip is going to have a gap between the upper grip surface and the receiver.

Thehellbringer:  Where do you live in CO?  I am up in Longmont and shoot at Front Range in Loveland quite often.  If you are ever in the area let me know and you can check it out first hand.

Hope this makes sense,

MadDog

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/LittleAce1/DSC00110-1.jpg

I just moved back to Kansas after 17 years in Denver. I'll be back if the current economic meltdown reverses. I own a house here and my parents are getting up there, so I decided to come back for a year or two. I'm renting my house in Denver out to a friend for the time being. Pretty sure I'll be back. If I do we'll shoot sometime. Thanks for the info. I frally want to try this on an extra Polytech wood grip I have. I'll post pics when its done.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#5]
This.

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top