Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2009 12:44:08 PM EDT
So I'm waiting on my CCH permit to arrive and I'm looking at options for storing my gun in my vehicle when I happen to go some place that doesn't allow me to carry. (For instance, I can't carry at work, but it's okay to have the gun locked up in the car.)

I haven't really had much luck locating something that seems appropriate. I've found a few pistol safes that claim they work for vehicles, but they're just the "bedside" style safe with pressure switches or biometrics and they don't seem to have a convenient method for fastening someplace in a car.

Further complicating matters, I drive an RX-8 and there's really not a ton of interior space for securing something like a pistol safe. Anyone out there have any suggestions or opinions on this? What do you use? Am I overthinking this?
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I use one of the Security Packs From Beretta
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
That might not be a bad option. Thanks, KaProw.

BTW, how long is the cable on that? Looks like maybe a foot or so?
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Center of mass safe, fits right behind or under most seats.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n256/fourcats714/P1050001.jpg
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Excellent, that looks just like what I had in mind!
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That might not be a bad option. Thanks, KaProw.

BTW, how long is the cable on that? Looks like maybe a foot or so?

I have two of the center mass boxes. they work, but I prefer the Security pack. I can put my pistol with the holster inside the pack. I've carried it around in plain sight and so far no one has ID it as firearm related. one of my non-firearm owning friends instantly knew what the box with a cable was for. also there is no moisture absorbing foam.

the cable is 24" when the bag is closed

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The site says it's slash proof. What's it made of? Can you cut it? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 5:23:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a very heavy canvas that has steel mesh laced through it. you could probably cut the canvas with a really sharp knife. all you would do is expose the Steel mesh though.

Link Posted: 3/18/2009 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a safe box with 4 button combo and bolted it to the frame of my xterra. Its pretty accessible in a hurry but not while driving. It costs about $50
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a very heavy canvas that has steel mesh laced through it. you could probably cut the canvas with a really sharp knife. all you would do is expose the Steel mesh though.

I was wondering about that, too. Thanks for the added info. I think I'm leaning towards the Security Pack now, since it would be really easy to stowe away.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Funny...I was just coming here to post this same question.  I have a truck so there is no trunk to lock it in.  That Beretta bag looks interesting.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been battling over this same issue for the past few months.  I decided on this one to store my CCW when I am away from the car.

Console Vault
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I really liked the idea of those vaults initially when I found them early on in my search. Unfortunately neither my car nor the wife's car are on the list of available models.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#13]
http://n-case.org/

It's an aluminum briefcase with a cable.  Pretty slick.  Big enough for laptops or multiple handguns.  Blends in nicely in public.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the utility of the Security Pack.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://n-case.org/

It's an aluminum briefcase with a cable.  Pretty slick.  Big enough for laptops or multiple handguns.  Blends in nicely in public.

that just screams expensive shit inside. i would imagine that would attract the attention of wandering eyes in a parking lot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 4:45:39 AM EDT
[#16]
"Secure It", gun safe, thats what I'm gonna be getting for myself!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Just got my beretta gun bag today.  Very good quality.  I like!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:08:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I just had a "Center of Mass" fail to unlock yesterday.

Luckily it was empty while locked and I just grabbed another one to use (I have 3). I was able to get it to unlock after about 5 or 10 minutes of fiddling. Seems the trick is to compress the clamshell to relieve pressure off of the clasp. It first appeared (misleadingly) as though the key was not properly engaging.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Gun Vaults seem to be lacking quality. Do a interenet search,many problems with the locks
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Gun Vaults seem to be lacking quality. Do a interenet search,many problems with the locks
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#22]
That's interesting about the failing locks. I hadn't heard of that before.
Definitely not good if you need to get to your gun quickly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Have had one for many years, it works fine. Takes 8 AA batteries tho which is good for about 1 yr. When they start going weak it won't open by the electronic keys (accompanied by an annoying and continuous beeping noise to signal impending loss of battery power). You'll have to get fresh batts and reprogram it. It also has a cylindrical key to bypass the electronic lock.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Have had one for many years, it works fine. Takes 8 AA batteries tho which is good for about 1 yr. When they start going weak it won't open by the electronic keys (accompanied by an annoying and continuous beeping noise to signal impending loss of battery power). You'll have to get fresh batts and reprogram it. It also has a cylindrical key to bypass the electronic lock.
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#25]
how about the cable on the beretta bag or even the center of mass safes-can they be cut with bolt cutters or are they somewhat tougher-yes, i realize most thugs don't break into a car and think to bring bolt cutters but you never know...

looking at one of these options

Link Posted: 4/4/2009 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Forgive me if I'm wrong here, and please correct me.

I live in NJ where I can only have my gun locked in a box and in the trunk of the car only going between home and the range.  I'm guessing in states where this doesn't apply it would be ok to just leave the gun in the car with the car locked.  Yes I understand you wouldn't leave your gun in front of the picture window, so you obviously wouldn't leave it on the seat.  Isn't it the same thing leaving it under the seat as leaving it in the top draw of your night stand at home?  I mean, nobody knows its there, so basically if they found it they where ransacking the car (home).

-Tom
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 1:16:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I simply put a lock & cable on my weapon; the other end is secured to the leg of the driver's seat. I stuff the pistol under the seat and no one is the wiser.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I simply put a lock & cable on my weapon; the other end is secured to the leg of the driver's seat. I stuff the pistol under the seat and no one is the wiser.

I second this but I use a padlock behind the trigger with a cable lock to the seat frame.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Forgive me if I'm wrong here, and please correct me.

I live in NJ where I can only have my gun locked in a box and in the trunk of the car only going between home and the range.  I'm guessing in states where this doesn't apply it would be ok to just leave the gun in the car with the car locked.  Yes I understand you wouldn't leave your gun in front of the picture window, so you obviously wouldn't leave it on the seat.  Isn't it the same thing leaving it under the seat as leaving it in the top draw of your night stand at home?  I mean, nobody knows its there, so basically if they found it they where ransacking the car (home).

-Tom

For me, at least, there's a legal issue as well as for extra security. I have a CCH permit. My wife does not. If for some reason we were to go someplace where I couldn't carry my gun and I left it unsecured in the car with my wife, she could be charged for illegal possesion of a firearm. (I know the odds of this happening are next to nil, but still it COULD happen.) Of course, this could be solved easily by both of us leaving the vehicle, but the extra security can't hurt.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I use this , in Ca handguns must be in a locked container, so I have a combo lock on the zipper. I can place it anywhere in view or hidden as it looks like a day planner. I can even carry it around in public. I also made my own and used one with a small carry handle and extra pouch. Day planner website

My home made one

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top