Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2014 10:58:07 AM EDT
What distance are you guys with rmr's zeroing and why?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
10 yards. For my purpose I'm not going to be shooting a pistol past that. Non-magnified pistol optic past 10-15 yards really does me no good.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10 yards. For my purpose I'm not going to be shooting a pistol past that. Non-magnified pistol optic past 10-15 yards really does me no good.
View Quote

He was blind the whole time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
When I had a MRD on my 22lr, I zeroed at 25yds.

I would zero at the distances you expect to shoot at and then learn your drops at different distances, be sure to be consistant with your ammo, different weights can make a huge difference in a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Que?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Que?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Que?

Huh?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Que?

Huh?

Why else limit to 10 yards with an optic?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:31:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Que?

Huh?

Because 15 yards is the farthest I can shoot a pistol here for both indoor and outdoor ranges. As I said, it does me no good. You know what they say when you assume, right?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:12:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm with PineappleDevil...mine is about 10 yards as well...you know you can still shoot beyond that distance, right???

Bill
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Because 15 yards is the farthest I can shoot a pistol here for both indoor and outdoor ranges. As I said, it does me no good. You know what they say when you assume, right?
View Quote

Most outdoor ranges have a 100 yard range don't they? Where are you that people don't shoot rifles?

Saying you needed magnified optics at greater distance is a stronger indication of eye trouble than range limitations.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#10]
10 Yards is a good zero for pistols. It has a similar pattern as the 50 yard zero on an AR15. Rises for a little but, the POI again a bit later.

Much combat effective. Wow.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
10 Yards is a good zero for pistols. It has a similar pattern as the 50 yard zero on an AR15. Rises for a little but, the POI again a bit later.

Much combat effective. Wow.
View Quote

This has been my experience in the 2 1/2 years I've been running RMRs on pistols.

10 yards gives you eyeball accuracy at 10 yards and closer, and minute o' chest at farther ranges.

Lets face it - its still a handgun. It's not a sniper pistol.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#12]
A handgun is effective to 100m if you know what you're doing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:23:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Most outdoor ranges have a 100 yard range don't they? Where are you that people don't shoot rifles?

Saying you needed magnified optics at greater distance is a stronger indication of eye trouble than range limitations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wtf good is shooting a pistol at 100 yards or even 50 yards? why the hell would you even waste your time? for fun? yeah ok, but to waste your time zeroing a non-magnified optic on a pistol at those distances or a distance past 25 yards is basically stupid. use the tool for what it's intended for, close shooting. you've got to be shitting me with that crap . How about we get into a gun fight and I'll take my AR after you at 100 yards and you can have your RMR Glock.

I have 20/15 vision by the way. You've really got to stop with that assuming stuff. You're really looking like an ass. The indoor ranges here go to 15 yards. The only outdoor range I have access to has a pistol range out to 15 yards, a 50 yard rifle range, and a 100 yard rifle range. You can't put anything at a distance different from those. You're good at this game
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:29:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol no one is talking about distance of effectiveness; we're talking about a zero. what's yours zeroed at? 100 yards?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:49:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

lol no one is talking about distance of effectiveness; we're talking about a zero. what's yours zeroed at? 100 yards?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slow down, take deep breaths.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

wtf good is shooting a pistol at 100 yards or even 50 yards? why the hell would you even waste your time? for fun? yeah ok, but to waste your time zeroing a non-magnified optic on a pistol at those distances or a distance past 25 yards is basically stupid. use the tool for what it's intended for, close shooting. you've got to be shitting me with that crap . How about we get into a gun fight and I'll take my AR after you at 100 yards and you can have your RMR Glock.

I have 20/15 vision by the way. You've really got to stop with that assuming stuff. You're really looking like an ass. The indoor ranges here go to 15 yards. The only outdoor range I have access to has a pistol range out to 15 yards, a 50 yard rifle range, and a 100 yard rifle range. You can't put anything at a distance different from those. You're good at this game
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For 10 yards I'd just stick with irons, I personally don't see the use for an RMR at close ranges.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I have an FNX 45 tac that has one. i set it at 25yds as a max range.
it also makes it easy to hit a 10x12 @ 50yds.

why? i figured that would be my max distance and i can do it without.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

For 10 yards I'd just stick with irons, I personally don't see the use for an RMR at close ranges.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

quicker acquisition?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Interesting.  It looks like a 10 yard zero and a 50 yard zero are very close, same with the 5 and 100 yard zeroes.

Here is a graph I made using data from Federal 124 grain 9mm traveling at 1030 fps.
Product number is AE9SUP1

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

quicker acquisition?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

quicker acquisition?

Every single person I've conversed with that has used RMRs extensively says that at close ranges iron sights are still quicker and that they still use the front sight as a reference point.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine is zeroed at 25 yards. Works fine up close and stays on a IPSC silhouette out to 100 yards if I do my part.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Every single person I've conversed with that has used RMRs extensively says that at close ranges iron sights are still quicker and that they still use the front sight as a reference point.

View Quote

Every single person I've conversed with that has used RMRs extensively says that placing one dot on the target is easier than aligning a front blade between a rear notch on the top with equal distance on the sides.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like using a 10, 15 or 25Y zero will ALL do great out to 50Y.  
I always sighted my RMR in at 25 personally, but looking at that trajectory, I may should have looked more into it--especially since I mostly shoot 147gr non+P.

I think I used my sights for a reference for the first 200-400rds, but then I'd I did it, I didn't realize it....I guess it's just like with iron sights--find them, get them situated, shoot.  Except with the RMR, it might be find the sights, situate the dot, shoot.  

The dot was faster for me AFTER the first shot.  But I realized since I didn't have one on my Cary gun, that I needed to stop getting an ego boost from it.  Until I carry one, I'll stick with irons.

That said, in the last two courses I've taken, the people with MRDS systems were definitely shooting some of the tightest groups (though not always the fastest).
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Every single person I've conversed with that has used RMRs extensively says that placing one dot on the target is easier than aligning a front blade between a rear notch on the top with equal distance on the sides.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're taking the time to align the front and rear perfectly at 10 yards you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Mine is zeroed at 25 yards. Works fine up close and stays on a IPSC silhouette out to 100 yards if I do my part.
View Quote

^ This ^
My 3gun pistol G17/Burris FF lll, 25yds.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you're taking the time to align the front and rear perfectly at 10 yards you're doing it wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anybody who claims irons are faster than RDS at any range hasn't shot a RDS much.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Anybody who claims irons are faster than RDS at any range hasn't shot a RDS much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you say so.

First shot times playing hunt the dot on a red dot sight at the short ranges being discussed are consistently slower for everyone I've ever heard put serious time into a RDS. I'm not talking about going to the range and shooting dirtclods and beer cans. Get out the timer and measure your first shot time at 10 yards. The best fix is to ignore the RMR and use your irons until you get on target for the first shot, playing hunt the dot is slower. When you're presenting a pistol with iron sights the front sight serves as your reference point while the pistol is coming up, the RMR has nothing to reference with. At 10 yards the RMR has nothing to offer vs iron sights IMO. Longer distances, longer strings of multiple targets and a RDS equipped pistol is an advantage. If you have an RMR zero it at 25 yards so you can take advantage of the optic.  

OP, sorry for the thread drift.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:55:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you say so.

First shot times playing hunt the dot on a red dot sight at the short ranges being discussed are consistently slower for everyone I've ever heard put serious time into a RDS. I'm not talking about going to the range and shooting dirtclods and beer cans. Get out the timer and measure your first shot time at 10 yards. The best fix is to ignore the RMR and use your irons until you get on target for the first shot, playing hunt the dot is slower. When you're presenting a pistol with iron sights the front sight serves as your reference point while the pistol is coming up, the RMR has nothing to reference with. At 10 yards the RMR has nothing to offer vs iron sights IMO. Longer distances, longer strings of multiple targets and a RDS equipped pistol is an advantage. If you have an RMR zero it at 25 yards so you can take advantage of the optic.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you say so.

There's the problem, user error. I pull up my gun and the dot is there. I don't have to search for it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:46:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There's the problem, user error. I pull up my gun and the dot is there. I don't have to search for it.
View Quote

Interesting. If you don't mind my asking, how much time do you have shooting only irons? I'm curious if it is just a mental block concerning lots of trigger time with only iron sights. I have noticed newer shooters take to dot sights VERY quickly, maybe it is just a holdover from habits? Granted, when you present the pistol from a standard position you should be close enough on target that you could find the dot but It seems that shooting from weird positions is harder. Shooting on the move is a little trickier for me as well because the relationship between front and rear is easy to see vs the dot. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Interesting. If you don't mind my asking, how much time do you have shooting only irons? I'm curious if it is just a mental block concerning lots of trigger time with only iron sights. I have noticed newer shooters take to dot sights VERY quickly, maybe it is just a holdover from habits? Granted, when you present the pistol from a standard position you should be close enough on target that you could find the dot but It seems that shooting from weird positions is harder. Shooting on the move is a little trickier for me as well because the relationship between front and rear is easy to see vs the dot. Thoughts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only had a red dot mounted pistol optic for about 2-3 months. I've been shooting for about 20 years.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've only had a red dot mounted pistol optic for about 2-3 months. I've been shooting for about 20 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who knows then. Maybe people are different after all?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top