Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2014 6:05:58 PM EDT
Had the opportunity to inspect 5 examples from http://aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=2303&name=Glock+22+.40cal+Handgun+Gen+3

4 looked really good - hardly any signs of use - just minor wear on the high spots. I'll post a pic of one of the Good Ones at the END of this post.

Serial number range suggests 2006 vintage.
Hard to believe that guns less than 10 years old are turning up in the "surplus" market already.

For most of what I want to cover here, we're always interested the most in the ones that look like they've been-there-done-that. The pics that follow are of one that definitely meets that description.

Lots of wear on the finish of the slide.

Back plate has some major dings.

Looks like it rode in a hard (Kydex or some such) for much of its life.

Original Glock night sights still visible in the dark.

Little bit of grittiness in the trigger.
I've never taken-apart a Glock lower assembly. This one is a good candidate for learning, but haven't done it yet. For the amount of wear on the exterior, I figured this one had to have come from some sandy place.

I was really surprised that the innards really showed no signs of sand/grit. Just a very small amount of grime in the usual places.

I did disassemble the upper assembly. Not much to that. It all just snaps and slides apart. No tools required unless you count the tip of a ball point pen as a tool.

Almost no grit in the upper assembly. Only place I could find any grit was in the plastic sheath for the firing pin. Even then, I'm not sure it was actual grit, but rather some scuff from having been in contact with grit at some point.

Evidently some competent armorer had this gun apart, and cleaned it THOROUGHLY before it got funneled through AIM.

The bore had some fouling in it. That kind of surprised me since the rest of the gun was so clean notwithstanding the obvious exposure to sandy conditions. The fouling all came out without even the use of any solvent. Just a stiff .45 brush and a dozen strokes. Bore now looks brand new. No dings on the muzzle.

That about covers it for description. No range report yet. Maybe I'll get a chance for that over the holidays.

Now for the pics.

All the pics are from the "worst one," except for the last two pics which are representative of what the rest of the lot generally looked like.

...and now a couple pics of the one that is typical of the rest of the bunch.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow thats a lot of finish wear. My G17 I bought used through summit gun brokers, it barely has any finish wear just the park kinda greyed and was shined some.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Cerakote. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#3]
G17's sometimes make a showing on the surplus market.

Usually for about $50 - $75 more than the G22's.

I have a G17 that I use for training - as it allows me to shoot the absolute cheapest ammo.
.40 ammo usually ends up costing $3-$4 more per box for the same cheap brands.

I like to have a spare or two of my "operational" (favorite ninja-word) EDC.
I agonized over whether the EDC should be 9mm or .40
Finally settled on the .40, so the AIM guns worked out well for me.

I got the chance to take a closer look at a couple of the "nicer" ones today.
Insides looked a little dirty on one of them.
Still haven't done a full strip-down on a Glock lower.

Noticed that the bores of the two I looked at today actually were more fouled than the "worst" one.
Several strokes with the bronze brush got most of it out, but there is sill some fouling that didn't want to give up on just the action of the brush.
I inundated the bores with CLP, and I'll let them sit for a couple weeks while I do other stuff.
I expect the rest of the fouling will let go when I go after it again.

...and of course the .40's can be converted to 9mm easy enough if you're willing to buy barrels.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Look good.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice. Too bad they don't have mags in stock. FWIW, I ordered some LEO trade in mags for my surplus G22 from J&G Sales. $19.95
ETA: Link
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice. Too bad they don't have mags in stock. FWIW, I ordered some LEO trade in mags for my surplus G22 from J&G Sales. $19.95
ETA: Link
View Quote

You can get brand new mags for that from CDNN.

I just received a bunch of "used" Gen4 G22 mags I got from CDNN for $15ea and they were like new and are current production and not beat up.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:40:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I just bought a couple lowers from them, shipping was very fast, was tempted to buy one of the trade in 17s.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I just ordered one of the gen4 G17s from AIM tonight, I'll post pics when it shows up
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just ordered one of the gen4 G17s from AIM tonight, I'll post pics when it shows up
View Quote

I came to say this.  Not shabby price for us non LEO buyers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Missing 2 mags and the back straps though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They go on sale next month.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Typical Aim tactics.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
yeah, those Aim guys suck
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Typical Aim tactics.

yeah, those Aim guys suck
LOL

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a 22 from that time frame.  It has become my GSSF gun more than anything.  It was the first new Glock I'd ever bought.
View Quote

My duty 22 is an "L" and came from just after these guns.  One nice advantage nobody has pointed out with these older gently used guns:  It has more machined steel components for those MIM haters.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#18]
"Yeah those Aim guys suck"

No, No they don't.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

we didn't pull anything out of these guns, this is the way we get them from the distributor  

although the idea of me hoarding all the grip inserts for my retirement is pretty cool.  

View Quote
Going all Scrooge McDuck with 'em...

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
we didn't pull anything out of these guns, this is the way we get them from the distributor  

although the idea of me hoarding all the grip inserts for my retirement is pretty cool.  

View Quote

Mmmmmm.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#22]
One of mine came with a free butt-plug.

Like these: http://www.glockmeister.com/Grip-Plugs/products/64/

I'm going to wait until Christmas to pull the plug out.
Maybe the PO left me a secret message in there.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I also ordered one of the trade in Gen 4 17s...I'm excited for it to show up.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

One of mine came with a free butt-plug.

Like these: http://www.glockmeister.com/Grip-Plugs/products/64/

I'm going to wait until Christmas to pull the plug out.

Maybe the PO left me a secret message in there.
View Quote
It should read....

If we were the NYPD, the Glock would be you and the plug would be a plunger. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I want one!!!  I need a back up to my USPSA gun...and these would not be a bad deal. (at least the Gen4 17).  Why do the good sales go down when my money has already gone out...
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I want one!!!  I need a back up to my USPSA gun...and these would not be a bad deal. (at least the Gen4 17).  Why do the good sales go down when my money has already gone out...
View Quote
Because you touch yourself and Gaston hates you for it.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know.  When you add the cost of the two missing mags and the backstraps, you are pretty much at the PSA (sale) price for a new Gen4 17.  I suppose if you already have plenty of mags and don't need the backstraps, that it is a good deal.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I have been thinking about getting a .22lr conversion slide for my Gen3 Glock 17.

But now I am thinking I should get one of these Glock 22's and run the coversion slide on that instead. That way I will also have a .40 caliber gun in the safe which is an area that I am currently lacking in.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have been thinking about getting a .22lr conversion slide for my Gen3 Glock 17.
But now I am thinking I should get one of these Glock 22's and run the coversion slide on that instead. That way I will also have a .40 caliber gun in the safe which is an area that I am currently lacking in.
View Quote

same kit,
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously... That is a dam fine question. Everytime.  It's like they have contact with my wife or something.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Just left my  FFL with my Gen 4 G17 from Aim.

Came in its original case with one new-gen ambi mag. It has the large backstrap on the gun but didn't include the others. Has all original paperwork in the Glock envelope.

The gun itself is pristine and doesn't look to have a round through it. Zero signs of wear, with the original copper grease still inside. No holster marks anywhere. Trijicon night sights are bright.

The slide is marked USA and the frame has the GA stamp on it with a seven digit serial number.

Overall I'm incredibly happy for $415 shipped. Pics to follow tonight and range report this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top