Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2015 9:49:25 PM EDT
so through a google search I found one member http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/142448_Cutting_Gen_3_for_Gen_4_mag_release_.html who did it, but his outcome required the frame to be stippled. I don't care for that look. so I went about doing it my own way.

Top is a extended gen 3, middle is factory gen 3, bottom is extended gen 4....cut the one parts off since the gen 3 right side is bigger then gen 4 right side

Gen 4 button part lined up with gen 3 right part sanded and made to same length as stock gen 3 release

Glued and had to shave a bit off the inside bottom corner of gen 4 part so it would clear a magazine. Tomorrow when fully cured I'll see how strong the bond is and if cutting the frame to accept is next

I used Loctite plastic epoxy, which says 24hr cure time so if my bond is solid I will tackle cutting my frame to accept the new release. I chose this way so stippling the frame wont be needed
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I love what you are trying but no way I an trusting a cut in half glued back together mag release

Why not save your frame and use the aftermarket large button releases?
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
well you can get one of these for a gen 3 and it snaps together but sicks way out. so not sure how that be different than what I'm trying

but I fully understand not for everyone, which also why I'm checking my bond is solid before I mess up the frame on my G27

I want something flush that doesn't stick out like the aftermarket extened ones do. and because in California I can not buy a Gen 4 Glock
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I sell my gen three ave buy a gen four before doing this but its your gun
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#4]
If that fails this is an option.  Easy to do with a file/dremel

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I put one of these on my Gen 3 G17. Works like a champ. Just go slow and check and recheck the progress of the hole.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#6]
any pics you can share of it installed? cause theirs isn't a Glock frame, and it sticks out to far for my liking in their pics
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I put one of these on my Gen 3 G17. Works like a champ. Just go slow and check and recheck the progress of the hole.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interested in this also!  How much work was it to install?  Looks like it would be pretty straight forward
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
3 G21 frames, one ea Factory Gen3 and 4 and a Gen 2.5 with the Large Lonewolf catch installed.  The lonewolf does sit a bit higher then both the gen3/4's

Used a Dremel and a razor knife to do it.

Over a Gen4

Over the Gen3
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#9]
so forgot to post an update cause the holidays. but the plastic epoxy failed, so I tried some really strong super glue. that also failed. good thing I didn't cut my frame yet.

I do like that lone wolf release minus the fact it seems to stick out rather far
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#10]
The Vickers Tango Down Gen4 mag release is one of my favorite Glock Mods.  I love their Gen3 releases as well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Why has no manufacturer made a CNC or 3D printed release that has a gem 4 front and a gen 3 rear. It can't be that hard.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why has no manufacturer made a CNC or 3D printed release that has a gem 4 front and a gen 3 rear. It can't be that hard.
View Quote

I would imagine not a whole lot of demand.  A lot of people prefer the larger footprint of the Gen4, those who don't tend to stick to Gen3 guns.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would imagine not a whole lot of demand.  A lot of people prefer the larger footprint of the Gen4, those who don't tend to stick to Gen3 guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer the larger gen 4 release, but because I live in California I can not purchase a gen 4. but I have held one at a shop in AZ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top