Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:

It certainly is.

If you froze and went white when it happened, that is very bad juju.  Tap-rack-bang needs to be automatic.  As you side step.

Much great advice above also.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:
Originally Posted By Phillbilly:
Ftf is part of training too.

It certainly is.

If you froze and went white when it happened, that is very bad juju.  Tap-rack-bang needs to be automatic.  As you side step.

Much great advice above also.

practice tap rack bang. then when you feel like you did it enough do it again.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bco175:
Glock will replace every part on the gun except the slide, frame, and barrel.   They will also replace any mags you send with it.  For free.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/9/2024 9:58:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SRM] [#4]
Do you realize that there are Glock factory armorers at all of the outdoor (GSSF) shoots who are normally bored and would love to have something to fix?
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:24:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#5]
Originally Posted By SkiandShoot:
@dalle0001  wild and i've never seen anything like it on a pistol. I didn't run it without the slide lever as the new one came but:

Tossed the suspect mag then replaced the slide lever and spring with new in wrapper.

The pistol was MUCH stiffer using the thumb, as can be imagined.
Then I swear I thought a swapped out to a new recoil spring and guide rod.

Ran 100 rounds through it, no problem

Then problem:

About 75 rounds in, my guide rod spring goes flying out of the front of the pistol and the guide rod is sticking out the end of the pistol! I was semi-horrified and lmao at the same time.

Had a AIM new in wrapper guide rod and spring in my back and installed that on the spot. Ran well for the rest of the day, ~150 rounds.

Now do I have a gremlin pistol or is it good? That is the real question. (I am resistant to shipping back to glock just with logistics and time.)

Most of my gear, holsters, carry stuff is all built around my Gen2 so that's also a pause from swapping out the pistol with just an off the shelf Gen5 etc.

Thoughts?
View Quote

It's a good idea to always practice with your carry at least with several trips to the range.

The way I figure it, if I bought it used, I would probably think the previous owner ran into the same problems and unclear on what they might have done to correct it. If you are the first owner, that's a bit different and good chance that you'd just need to replace the springs and wear parts. I agree that sending it back to glock is a good idea, but I think all you need to do is a complete overhaul of it with new springs. The recoil assembly is a disposable item and should be replaced.

It sounds like every time you go to the range, you're discovering a new problem. I think buying a NEW pistol and being the first owner is important. That way you know it's 100% functional and that as you use it, you know how it'll wear in. If in 10 years your brand new glock starts to malfunction, at least you'd know that it was working and that you know it needs new parts.

What I would do: get a repair request from glock and ship it in, and at the same time go buy a new g19 that'll be your primary piece.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Buy a new Glock.   They are guns, they wear out.
View Quote

Seriously dude. Pony up $600 and replace that Gen 2, get a Gen 5.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Train hard with your guns. You won’t freak out when they fail. And your gun didn’t fail, you just don’t have what to do ingrained so that it’s not a big deal.

It sounds like you’re under the impression that a self defense shooting is going to be you drawing your gun in a sterile environment and in a neutral stance and everything is going to happen like you hope it will.

If you train hard and different scenarios you will have plenty of opportunities to get your gun running when it stops. Push yourself and your gear and you will have the confidence to deal with these situations.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Replaced slide stop and running like a champ. Same with recoil spring.

600+ rounds of various ammunition and about 15 magazines through it.

If it even burps again, I’ll buy a gen5.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Replaced slide stop and running like a champ. Same with recoil spring.

600+ rounds of various ammunition and about 15 magazines through it.

If it even burps again, I’ll buy a gen5.
View Quote

Glad to hear you're able to get it working.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
Change all the springs if you haven't done so. 20k rounds is a lot of wear on them.
View Quote
Not to mention the rounds it had through it prior to him getting it.

I hate to say it but stuff does wear out. Might be time to join the Gen 3 master race.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Spiffums:
Might be time to join the Gen 3 master race.
View Quote
I tried to return to the gen 3 fold, but I can't get one that's reliable. The one I still have is accurate and has a great trigger, but I get failures to eject with it. Ive had many 19's over the years, but the newer production ones just don't work for me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#12]
all machines can be rebuilt.

It only takes time and money.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Another 450 rounds through it. Flawless with various ammunition and 15 different magazines.

Only ding or bump would be brass ejection: 50% of the time about 3 O'clock and then 50% 6 O'clock. That's a new one to me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Another 450 rounds through it. Flawless with various ammunition and 15 different magazines.

Only ding or bump would be brass ejection: 50% of the time about 3 O'clock and then 50% 6 O'clock. That's a new one to me.
View Quote

Which ejector?
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 4:08:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkiandShoot] [#15]
Originally Posted By Packman:

Which ejector?
View Quote

Factory default from the mid-1990's? Or when it was police-trade in, I doubt they did an overhaul. Someone else in this thread has one from probably nearly the same batch. Think it was through Aim-surplus.

I can crack it open tonight.

Edit, 7-24-24:
Ordered a backup recoil spring and ejector. Should deploy Friday afternoon if it comes in time.
I'll crack it open and see what ejector it has as I didn't follow through on that last night.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Factory default from the mid-1990's? Or when it was police-trade in, I doubt they did an overhaul. Someone else in this thread has one from probably nearly the same batch. Think it was through Aim-surplus.

I can crack it open tonight.

View Quote

I’d personally replace it with a 30274 ejector. Very easy to do, and it will do wonder for your ejection patterns. You can find them online at the big Glock parts vendors in a Gen 4 trigger housing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#17]
If you're going to replace the ejector, you may as well go with the latest iteration 47021.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 11:03:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#18]
Originally Posted By fastluck13:
I agree on replace all springs. Also, I would detail strip it, inspect the extractor and ejector, and clean the inside of the slide really well.
View Quote

Likewise. Other than cleaning springs and lube I'd bet it is just fine.

Eta should've read the entire thing. Upgrade ejector and report back.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 2:13:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkiandShoot] [#19]
Update
Friday:
Pretty wild. Bought a new in wrapper OEM recoil spring just for sanitys sake. Installed it at lunch friday, cleaned pistol and lubed it.
Was shooting Igman 124 grain through it successfully for ~250 rounds Friday. Every other round was ejecting at the 6 Oclock position and bouncing off my forehead. Wild.

Saturday installed the 47021 from a new Gen 5 extractor thingy. Pretty cool youtube videos and exercise of pushing the extractor out on the new and installing on the old housing (old was a 336 as planned). Never done that before personally and I am not that savvy but it worked and was interesting exercise to work on my own machine like that.

Ran ~100 rounds of the Igman flawlessly. 98 Ejected exactly in the same spot at about 3 oclock. had maybe 2 eject rearward in some capacity. Ran ~100 rounds of Federal Amercian eagle 115 grain through it. 100 rounds all ejected at 3 oclock at the exact same location.

Pretty cool exercise and testing.

Wouldn't be suprised if my extractor is a bit worn but we're going to let it ride for now. I have zero qualms about carrying the pistol at this stage.
1 more hiccup I'll toss on the EE though!

Thank you guys for the support and patience.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 12:50:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Someone mentioned, and I really agree with this idea, and that is to practice with an identical pistol and shoot your actual carry gun as little as possible.

However, if you are going to shoot just your Gen 2, and you really shot 20K rounds and only changed the recoil spring, you should change EVERY spring in the gun. Glock recommends changing the recoil spring (RSA) every 3000-5000 rounds. It's no wonder, at this point, you started having malfunctions. You were 6x or 4x overdue on the RSA.

Your mags need attention too. Get one specifically for carry if you don't want to buy multiple. Or, at least change the springs on your mags.

Get the magazine disassembly tool and a 3/32nd punch to have the ability to disassemble your Glock.

Don't be nervous about disassembly. Watch videos. It's rather easy once you do it.

You could also cut off the part of the slide stop that hangs out of the frame if you are worried about inadvertently activating it. Doing so will still allow your slide to lock open on the last round.

Please do learn to take the slide apart because your striker channel is probably very dirty, has bits of primer/brass chunks, and needs cleaned out. Don't oil the striker or the channel. It needs to be dry. Clean with alcohol after using any other cleaner in there.
Besides, your striker spring and striker cups should be replaced too.
Order the parts and watch videos on how to.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top