Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2018 5:03:06 PM EDT
Gents, I may be overreacting here but I was just on Sig's website and the P227 is nowhere to be found. I then googled "Sig Sauer P227" to which I found sig's page for the P227 Nitron and when I click on it takes me to a Sig website page that "Not Found". Someone please save me saying they haven't discontinued this piece. Anyone have any information?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
1st .  I haven't heard anything.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#2]
They discontinued a lot of models this year and I wouldn't be surprised if this happened.  Supposedly the sales haven't been good for this model since inception.

I saw many distributors closing them out for very low prices this year.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw the same thing a couple of weeks ago.  I just bought a 227SAS and got a pretty good price on it. They have had A LOT of different variations on all of their models, so many it has been difficult keeping track of them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, I see it is gone from the site.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't discontinued as every other time this has happened that turned out to be the case.

This isn't too far from the time last year they announced the 2018 discontinued models, which was extensive.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Not really all that surprising that they'd be whittling down their production lines. These days pistol manufacturers just don't need a huge catalogue to be truly competitive on the market. Not enough consumers looking for pistols outside the normal attributes to justify the manufacturing cost.

At this point, pistol manufacturers have their bases pretty well covered provided they make one model of each of the following;

- A modern polymer-framed/striker-fired duty pistol in fullsize, compact, subcompact, and longslide variants
- A single stack/pocket pistol
- A handful of samples more unique to that particular brand for the fanboys

Sig's got their bases covered with the P320, P365/P938, and the P226/P229. Everything else is low-volume fluff
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
227 didn’t sell well and they apparently never got the extra capacity mags to work right.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I went looking at the SIG sight last night and noticed they had cut the model as well. I figured this was coming as the gun was meant for LE but it really never caught with that group.

What I was shocked at was they still have so many different models of the P938 listed. That gun seems to have stopped selling. I have one that looks NIB, has only 50 rounds down it. Only one dealer, if I bought a gun from him, at local gun show out of five would pay a fair price for it. Two said they could not move it as they are just not selling. Go to gunbroker and there is a ton listed. The ones in EE are not selling either and the sellers keep dropping their price. Yet SIG is releasing new models of it. I sometime wonder who decides what models they keep and which they cut.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The classic series sells mostly on nostalgia or institutional inertia. A new model classic series doesn't satisfy either of those. I had fun testing it, and I wish I had bought one as it was the first project i tested start to finish there.

. 45 has limited appeal as do full size limited capacity metal hammer handguns.

Its to bad it isn't selling. Moving it to the legion exclusively and selling an SAO version too would be cool but there just isn't market demand apparently.

Oh well, the market wants P320 type guns. They're the future as much as it sticks for those wanting sonething different.
View Quote
The situation isn't all THAT dire, the P226/229 will live on in 9mm forever.  Look at what models/calibers were cut for 2018....it is clear that right now 9mms are far, far outselling anything else.  The "classic series" will definitely continue to be made in large numbers and I suspect even the P220 is going nowhere any time.

The P227 had a few things going against it.

First, SIG already had the P220.  Lots of people, especially those that buy lots of SIGs, already were attached to that gun.  The P227 for its grip increase only offered a "whopping" 2 round increase in capacity.  To offset this they had those really, really, extended 14 rd mags to offer as well but this is the other thing that ended up hurting them.

Secondly, as said above the 14 rd magazine fiasco really damaged the platform too.  They never could get them working right and ended up dropping them and that soured a lot of people.  Especially those that already had a P220 and only moved to the 227 for the jumbo-ultra-extended 14 rd mags so there would be a more tangible increase from 8.

I think they would have been better off making it like the 10mm P220 frames and used steel.  That way they could have removed more material from the magwell and used larger volume mags to get the capacity to 12 or 13.

I wish I could see by what margins the P220 was outselling the P227.  I guess if someone was REALLY wanting an all-metal hi-cap .45 then yeah, your options are currently really limited.  Doublestack 1911s are really all that come to mind as even the CZ and clones are also 10rd I believe.  I never put the P227 in that category though since the capacity was only 10.

When they gave up on the 14rd mags and the closeout prices appeared on GB earlier this year the writing was on the wall.

We should see the 2019 discontinue list in a few weeks.  I'm interested to see what is on there besides the P227.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The classic series sells mostly on nostalgia or institutional inertia. A new model classic series doesn't satisfy either of those. I had fun testing it, and I wish I had bought one as it was the first project i tested start to finish there.

. 45 has limited appeal as do full size limited capacity metal hammer handguns.

Its to bad it isn't selling. Moving it to the legion exclusively and selling an SAO version too would be cool but there just isn't market demand apparently.

Oh well, the market wants P320 type guns. They're the future as much as it sticks for those wanting sonething different.
View Quote
I’ve been wanting a 227 for awhile, I was only really waiting on it to come out in SAO. Looks like they went the other direction.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Saw the same thing a couple of weeks ago.  I just bought a 227SAS and got a pretty good price on it. They have had A LOT of different variations on all of their models, so many it has been difficult keeping track of them.
View Quote
I did the same, Just got my P227 SAS Gen 2. A thing of beauty, paid $888 delivered to my FFL.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Bought a lightly used Sig-227 about 3 months ago and I guess I'm glad that I did...  Just need to buy a few more magazines before Sig stops selling them as well.

I agree with everybody here that Sig will not be dropping their P-220/226/229 anytime innthe near future.  I've noticed several P-229s in .40 being put on consignment in my local area, as well as lots of Glock 22/23/27s lately as well.  After talking to the counter guys, they say that people are again zeroing back on 9mm and .45 as their primary defensive calibers.

I'll admit that I was shocked that Sig dropped the P-227 so quickly.  "I" prefer it over my P-220. Which is still a pretty "big" gun and I feel better with 10+1 verses 8+1... It's only has a two round advantage, but, I'm good with that.

Btw, does anybody has a lead on cost effective Sig-227 full-size 10rd magazines??
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had a p227 since they first came out, but not surprised by its passing.  Decent increase in size for only 2 rounds was underwhelming, not to mention the original E2 grip.  Put Hogue's on it when they first came out with the screws and plates and haven't looked back.

I'll keep it in my collection, but in all reality, it doesn't make it to the range often.  Even though it's a great shooter, too many other choices out there in .45.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I got my P227 SAS Gen2 last week. I have carried it twice, since I got it. IMHO it carries better then the P239 in 9MM I carried for 12 years. I am pleased, very pleased.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I wonder what the PA State Police will go to now ?????? They did not like like the Glock 45 acp , Beretta quit making the 40 cal they used , . Why would they even go with a 45 cal Sig for High way patrol side arm ????????
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#19]
My Sig dealer has confirmed the 227 is discontinued.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:44:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I was thinking a Sig 320 in 9 or 45 also .
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#21]
A fullsize, hammer fired, metal framed, DA/SA, double stacked .45 ACP chambered handgun in this day and age? And they expected it to be a success as a LEO contract gun and they specifically marketed it as such? LOL.... of course it was going to die.

S&W went through the same process with the 4566TSW.

No one wanted them anymore and they were too costly to make. S&W told that last few agency holdouts that they are ceasing production on metal framed duty guns. Either buy a M&P or stick with what you got. I believe Sig is realizing the same thing. The age of the metal frame guns are done and gone. Polymer and Striker Fired is the future. The success of the P320 proves it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
227 didn’t sell well and they apparently never got the extra capacity mags to work right.
View Quote
Never heard that about the mags before.  My 14 round mags have always worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Never heard that about the mags before.  My 14 round mags have always worked perfectly.
View Quote
They were so problematic they stopped selling them.

Supposedly many people performed a self-fix with Wolff xtra power springs intended for the Para P14 mags.

I heard that some couldn't get them to run right with those either.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#24]
They're good shooting pistols but without reliable 14 rounders  IMO they aren't worth the increase in girth over the P220 for a 2 round advantage.

And the 14 rounders are very bulky as they extend from the grips as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:44:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
They dumped them on clearance last fall too. I saw them for cheap and am kicking myself for  it buying some... since I picked up a p227 sas carry for cheap. Going to turn the 227 into a double stack 100 instead. Already figured out how to do it. Just need the parts.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#26]
same for 220 carry gone from catalog wanted one now cant fined one
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Guns Midwest has 4 on clearance right now.
Link
FDE
R
Carry SAS
Tac Ops

Better get to gettin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top