Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2012 6:26:23 PM EDT
A few weeks back I was training at my department's shooting range and was shooting the commercial reloads that my department provides for training.  During a relay, I heard a loud pop, and my trigger finger instantly went numb following a sharp impact.  I kinda feared looking at my finger but was surprised to find it without damage, however, my Beretta appeared to have taken a lick.  The trigger bar was pushed out to the side, and tonight was the first time that I have tried putting it back together to function test it.

After putting the trigger bar back into the trigger (it appears to be a little loose now, with a slight wiggle) the weapon will fire, but the trigger does not reset without me having to push it forward.  Any ideas on what I need to check?  Any help is appreciated.

I've attached pics, including one of the reloaded case.  It appears to either have been overcharged or the brass was weakened following multiple reloads.  Not really sure.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the trigger bar spring in place?
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'd send it in for a thorough inspection too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd send it in for a thorough inspection too.

Make sure the barrel and locking block are not cracked or damaged. Also check for cracks in the slide and frame rails.

The trigger return spring sounds like it is either broken or not installed correctly.

Link Posted: 1/20/2012 4:42:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A few weeks back I was training at my department's shooting range and was shooting the commercial reloads that my department provides for training.  During a relay, I heard a loud pop, and my trigger finger instantly went numb following a sharp impact.  I kinda feared looking at my finger but was surprised to find it without damage, however, my Beretta appeared to have taken a lick.  The trigger bar was pushed out to the side, and tonight was the first time that I have tried putting it back together to function test it.

After putting the trigger bar back into the trigger (it appears to be a little loose now, with a slight wiggle) the weapon will fire, but the trigger does not reset without me having to push it forward.  Any ideas on what I need to check?  Any help is appreciated.

I've attached pics, including one of the reloaded case.  It appears to either have been overcharged or the brass was weakened following multiple reloads.  Not really sure.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2d9w5h.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/fc0fwm.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/wkn6go.jpg

normally, the trigger spring is resting against the trigger bar. When the bar gets pushed out, the spring will snap out of position. There will not be enough force for it to automatically reset.

I would verify that your trigger spring is installed correctly. The leg facing the rear of the gun should be resting on the trigger bar, not against the frame area.

Of course, you should verify if you broke any other parts or not.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 5:47:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.
I'm going to have it magnafluxed to check for any cracks. A friend of mine does that as an occupation so he can do it for me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Had the exact same thing happen with my first 92FS several years ago. I simply put everything back in place and pistol fired perfectly from that point forward (looking back, probably wasn't the best idea). IMO, since it isn't resetting correctly, I would recommend contacting Beretta USA to see what they say about it. All things considered, the Beretta handled the failure rather well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Since it's apart, if the gun turns out to be OK, it might be a good time to install Wolff's INS trigger spring pack instead of the stock unit.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/BERETTA/92,%2096,%20AND%20CENTURION/cID1/mID2/dID36#59
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 4:12:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I hate to say it but I would send it in to Beretta and have them take a look at it.  I have seen this happen to a couple of Beretta 92's before.  More than likely, the ammunition was loaded incorrectly resulting in overpressure.  Beretta's handle the overpressure by three different methods.  Pressure forward propelling the obstruction or object,  Pressure upward resulting in a puff or blown barrel, or Pressure reward resulting in rupture cartridge and mass pressure recoil.  The good thing about the Beretta design is that the pressure upward can expand due to the slide opening up above.   Reward pressure usually is absorbed into the rear lower receiver section.  Within your photos, it appears that the reward pressure blew the case and the gases expanded reward damaging the receiver and/or internal lower components.  Once the factory looks over the receiver, if all looks good, more than likely you will need to just replace the inside trigger, springs, and trigger bar.   Wish you the best of luck.  Better to be safe in the long run.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#9]
This is why I don't shoot reloads.

In a wheel gun I will, but not an semi-auto.

Call me paranoid, but I won't do it.

Glad you didnt get hurt.

Beretta's are a fine pistol.

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Reloads are fine, assuming the reloader is competent. I wouldn't shoot OTHER peoples reloads in my weapon. You could have encountered an overpressure round, or you could have encountered a squib situation. Inspect your barrel for damage along with the frame and slide.

Looks like you blew out the Trigger Bar Spring. Part #28 below.

I'd consider taking this opportunity to rebuild the pistol. I'd replace the locking block, plunger, plunger pin, main recoil spring, upgrade to an INS Wolff trigger return spring. The new locking block may take a little fitting to get into place. It's pretty easy to do.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#11]
check the trigger bar to determine if it is bent. you're likely to replace it and the spring. and yes, check the frame rails and the locking block for hairline cracks... magna fluxed is even better.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I hate to admit it, but once I took some "free ammo" somebody left labeled thusly in a box at the range.  Multiple ones did that in both my 92 and PX4, thankfully without damage.  The cases cracked at the rear in the same area, but not as dramatically ruptured as yours.  Free ammo anyone?
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
check the trigger bar to determine if it is bent. you're likely to replace it and the spring. and yes, check the frame rails and the locking block for hairline cracks... magna fluxed is even better.

Some cracks you can see, others are not that noticeable.
Get a good armorer to check it over.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top