Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/11/2017 8:07:11 PM EDT
Anyone else jumping on the California Highway Patrol S&W 4006 TSW trade-ins?  I just picked up two today.  I am really liking the bobbed hammer, decocker only configuration.

Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Where?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Ordered mine Thursday. Hope they shipped Friday. A 4006 and a 4013.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where?
View Quote
Summit Gun Broker
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not into 40's but I am not stupid.
That is a nice pistol, I wish S&W still made the 3rd gen autos.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Where?
View Quote
Both Summit Gun Broker and Copper Custom have them right now.  I heard a few other dealers will be getting them as well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Bummer they are asking 400 bucks for them. If they were in any other caliber I would jump. If they were 100 bucks cheaper I would jump. 
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Ordered mine Friday morning, haven't gotten any shipping info at all. Hope to know something tomorrow. It will go good with my 3913, 4026 and 4566
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]
huh, I'm around a lot of guns and until I saw the OPs picture, I never realized S&W made a 3rd gen auto with integral rail vs. the bolt on.

If these were in 9mm I would be all over it at $385.  In .40, meh...   if it had some sort of CHP markings beyound just a serial number prefix, I would probably buy it regardless of caliber.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
just placed my order too.

this is a good deal for a rare pistol.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been trying to find them in stock but they are going fast...
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
According to Mark at Summit there are plenty more coming.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just sent him an email, thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bummer they are asking 400 bucks for them. If they were in any other caliber I would jump. If they were 100 bucks cheaper I would jump. 
View Quote
GT Distributors had 5906's available last month for $279.  But, they were the standard version, not TSW's.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good, need a little more time to get my funds in order. Cant pass one of these up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone else jumping on the California Highway Patrol S&W 4006 TSW trade-ins?  I just picked up two today.  I am really liking the bobbed hammer, decocker only configuration.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4273/35082622182_759853c7b6_z.jpg
View Quote

What kind of shape are they in? Overall condition?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What kind of shape are they in? Overall condition?
View Quote
The better of the two has only enough wear to know it is not brand new.  One raised diamond on the grip texture is dinged, and there is extremely minor holster wear.  It looks like it was carried for one month at most.

The lesser of the two has just a few scratches to the right side of the plastic grip, and some minor holster rubbing on the top left edge of the slide.  The condition is much better than what I would expect from a police trade-in.  

Overall, I am very surprised at how good of condition they are in.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The better of the two has only enough wear to know it is not brand new.  One raised diamond on the grip texture is dinged, and there is extremely minor holster wear.  It looks like it was carried for one month at most.

The lesser of the two has just a few scratches to the right side of the plastic grip, and some minor holster rubbing on the top left edge of the slide.  The condition is much better than what I would expect from a police trade-in.  

Overall, I am very surprised at how good of condition they are in.
View Quote
That is surprising, but also encouraging. Condition is always a concern with police trade ins.

Thanks for the info! 
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Been researching these for a bit. They have an intresting history. They went into service in 2006 as part of a three year 9,736 gun contract. Intitally there was some fall out because the initial bid included the Sig P229 .40. The CHP requested another bid but this time specified the only gun type they were intrested in was the 4006TSW. Their reasoning it seems is that while the new 4006TSW costs more per gun than the P229, their current issued 4006s in service since the early 90s were worn out and the CHP didn't have time to evaluate a new design and train officers to use a new pistol. There was some fallout from this and Sig filed a suit that was ultimately dropped. Then some of the guns in the first batch of 3000 were returned once the CHP started inspecting the new pistols for service. Then there was a problem with the sears breaking causing the guns to not work. Fortunately this happened in a training situation and at the academy. S&W retrofitted that first batch with new sears. It is intresting how close these could have been to being P229Rs.

So it seems we have a little over 9000 guns with a maximum service history a 10 years on them for under $400 with three mags. The price doesn't seem that bad considering what the state paid for them initially.

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#19]
My experience with the stainless Smiths is they don't show much wear.  Decent price for a TSW, albeit in the wrong caliber.  

According to Wiki they're switching to M&P in 40.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Nope, don't care much for .40.  I do like the S&W vintage pistols.  I have a 4566 and 4506. 
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not a huge .40 fan but there are some really hot rounds out now for the .40 S&W. the two TSWs I bought will go in each of our vehicles along with a P229 .40 that I have in a bailout bag. I really like Ga Arms 155gr +P Gold Dot. It is like a 10mm lite. Performs great against auto glass and doors.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#22]
40 cal out of a polymer pistol, no thanks. 40 cal out of my all stainless 4026 =just right. My CHP 4006 should be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I sure did.  Just got mine today and put 3 mags through it real quick.  Soft shooting for a .40.  Only issue I had was the right side decocker lever fell off.  Anyone know where to source one?????

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I sure did.  Just got mine today and put 3 mags through it real quick.  Soft shooting for a .40.  Only issue I had was the right side decocker lever fell off.  Anyone know where to source one?????

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82545/IMG-2167-229899.jpg
View Quote
I looked on Brownell's and Midway couldn't find the lever for the 4006TSW.  Numerich has the safety lever for a 5906 but looks silver stainless steel wheras the lever on 4006TSW looks like blackened SS.   You might call S&W but I bet the Safety lever is a common part for the 5906-4006, numerich was sold out of the blued lever for a 5904.  I've read various threads as to whether S&W has diacontinued carrying parts for the 3rd Gen pistols.  I bet S&W still have parts because they still have pistols in the field with LE Agencies.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SmithWesson-33495/AutoPistols-42024/590659Series-34135.htm
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I looked on Brownell's and Midway couldn't find the lever for the 4006TSW.  Numerich has the safety lever for a 5906 but looks silver stainless steel wheras the lever on 4006TSW looks like blackened SS.   You might call S&W but I bet the Safety lever is a common part for the 5906-4006, numerich was sold out of the blued lever for a 5904.  I've read various threads as to whether S&W has diacontinued carrying parts for the 3rd Gen pistols.  I bet S&W still have parts because they still have pistols in the field with LE Agencies.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SmithWesson-33495/AutoPistols-42024/590659Series-34135.htm
View Quote
S&W doesn't carry the part i'm looking for.  I'm probably going to have to get a complete decocker assembly from numerich and have it dyed black somehow...
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82545/IMG-2167-229899.jpg
View Quote
Damn, how did it fall off? What broke exactly?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

S&W doesn't carry the part i'm looking for.  I'm probably going to have to get a complete decocker assembly from numerich and have it dyed black somehow...
View Quote
Just out of curiosity was this online or the customer service department number?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the older CHP 4006 with the control numbers on the frame slide and barrel its been flawless a gun guy must of had it because the trigger is great . I followed the CHP s new 4006 and would try and get them to chime in on it , now I have one one the way. I did pick up a new MP2.0 L/E package gun 3 mags and night sights in 40 cal it was a T/E gun for them . I think they may stay with SW.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I want one but have no money. 
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Damn, how did it fall off? What broke exactly?
View Quote
Your guess is as good as mine. Started shooting it was there. I was decocking using the left side. After I finished shooting and was looking the pistol over I noticed it was gone.

ETA:  my guess is the spring and plunger under the lever probably wasn't seated correctly
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity was this online or the customer service department number?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spoke directly to customer service at S&W
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
huh, I'm around a lot of guns and until I saw the OPs picture, I never realized S&W made a 3rd gen auto with integral rail vs. the bolt on.

If these were in 9mm I would be all over it at $385.  In .40, meh...   if it had some sort of CHP markings beyound just a serial number prefix, I would probably buy it regardless of caliber.
View Quote
If you didnt know that about the CHP guns this will really blow your mind...Black 4566 TSW

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you didnt know that about the CHP guns this will really blow your mind...

http://i39.tinypic.com/29bhvgx.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you didnt know that about the CHP guns this will really blow your mind...

Info?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Info?
View Quote
Current issue WV State Police sidearms.  Did 4006 TSW for awhile then regular stainless 4566 TSW with bolt on rail then Melonite 4566 TSW currently  Been fielding them since 2011.  Story is they made S&W setup tooling to to build metal guns again just for this current batch.  Even though S&W is trying to make them go M&P.  The rank and file dont like the M&P and the agency has been almost all S&W since the inception with a few Colts early on.  

Every other state agency (DOC and DNR)  carries on one bid of Glock 21sf except for the Regional Jails who traded their M&Ps for Sig 220s.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you didnt know that about the CHP guns this will really blow your mind...Black 4566 TSW

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Made for a canceled Canuck contract
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Current issue WV State Police sidearms.  Did 4006 TSW for awhile then regular stainless 4566 TSW with bolt on rail then Melonite 4566 TSW currently  Been fielding them since 2011.  Story is they made S&W setup tooling to to build metal guns again just for this current batch.  Even though S&W is trying to make them go M&P.  The rank and file dont like the M&P and the agency has been almost all S&W since the inception with a few Colts early on.  

Every other state agency (DOC and DNR)  carries on one bid of Glock 21sf except for the Regional Jails who traded their M&Ps for Sig 220s.  

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20131128/u8y9ahu9.jpg

https://pictures.gunauction.com/cashamerica/FloorPlate%20013.JPG
View Quote
Interesting. Supposedly the Atlanta PD initially wanted an updated version of their 4003TSW instead they ended up with the M&P 40 which was a shit show for them. I have a cousin who is with the APD he was going through the academy then, he said the M&Ps were breaking all the time, broken trigger bars I seem to recall was the biggest problem after that there were accuracy issues as well. Supposedly some of the sights were loose on the slides. It was just a shit show. S&W recalled 1,600 pistols and offered to replace them for free but I think by that point the damage was done and a 70 year relationship went down the drain. APD went to the Glock. It looks like WV was making a smart move by insisting on getting an updated version of a proven pistol rather than moving to the M&P. What is interesting to me about these CHP pistols is the M&P was new for S&W when the contract for these trade ins were being bid on. I wonder why S&W didn't push the M&P on the CHP then. Or maybe they did and the CHP didn't want to be crash test dummies for a new pistol. Who knows this is just speculation on my part.

*Disclaimer* This post is not a bash on the M&P, I am simply relaying what was told to me first hand by someone who was there experiencing the problems and the subsequent change over. While I personally never cared for the M&P, I do own an M&P 2.0 and in my opinion it is what the M&P should have been in the first place. I really like my M&P 2.0 and hopefully S&W will secure some future contracts with it. It is a very good pistol IMO.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not 100% certain, but I don't believe the lever for the decock only models is the same as the decock/safety levers.

IIRC, the decock only lever came off the .45acp pistols that were set up for that feature. Might check for parts under that.

Might ask over on the S&W forum too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have an ambidextrous stainless safety somewhere around here.  Are you sure it's the same part for a de-cocker?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have an ambidextrous stainless safety somewhere around here.  Are you sure it's the same part for a de-cocker?
View Quote
I have no idea. I'm trying to figure that out
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Numrich shows the right side lever for a 6904 in Stock which is blued. $40 though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Try carrying one of those heavy bastards every day.

Link Posted: 6/14/2017 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
cool thanks...now just need to find the spring and plunger somewhere
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
I will give you a Glock 21 and 41 for that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
His supervisors might frown upon that LOL
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It'll be cool. Hence the two Glocks. 
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, no one would notice at all if I was suddenly carrying a Glock.

If anyone wants any other angles of the pistol I'd be happy to share. Mine's not pretty... I actually use it. They were surprised when I told them I needed a new recoil spring... Our head firearms guy at the time knew I know my shit and asked me why. I told him I was past the recommended replacement interval and he about shit. I was only at 10k or so.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I stumbled across this on Armslist...

Colorado Highway Patrol S&W 4006 TSW

Seller is out of South Dakota, guys name is Dave. I picked one up for $390 shipped.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I stumbled across this on Armslist...

Colorado Highway Patrol S&W 4006 TSW

Seller is out of South Dakota, guys name is Dave. I picked one up for $390 shipped.
View Quote
Never seen Colorado with one like that. 

They had Melonited 4006 TSW with their Patch.

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Never seen a CO highway patrol gun.

I bet these are the same CA Highway Patrol guns.

Easy to claim CHP is for either CA or CO.

Get the reading on the serial, willing to bet they fall under CA HP guns.

just a theory.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top