Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2010 4:20:19 PM EDT
I am out West visiting friends and came across some of these 9mm rounds in 50rd Interarms boxes. These are brass cased with sealent around the primers but the bullets are like nickle plated with some minor surface rust. Some require a double tap due to the hard primers. Are these worth getting? Price is very good, found these in a hardware store.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You found an Interarms 9mm Czech ammo box in a hardware store???  It depends greatly on the headstamp and the box as to what kind of bullet it is.  If it's a green box, and if the headstamp has a number in the 50's with some shape symbols, then it is steel core.  This ammo is classed as "armor piercing" pistol caliber ammo by the BATFE and is illegal for licensed dealers to sell to anyone other than Government or law enforcement.  You can see the list of restricted bullets on the BATFE's Federal firearms reference regulation guide" - section 17 of the general information section.  In the mean time, pull one of the bullets and blowtorch the base of the bullet to see if a little lead melts out and exposes a steel core.  If so, you might want to tell that hardware store owner that he's committing a felony by selling it to civilians, and that ignorance of the law is no defense (though he'll probably never get in trouble anyway).  And what state are you in?  If you're in CA, TX, IL, NJ, KY & Wash D.C. then it is illegal for you to possess it in any way unless you have a class 10 / 11 FFL license, or unless you are law enforcement.  If you are not in one of those states, then it is still perfectly legal for civilians to own such ammo, and this stuff is bought & sold on Gunbroker regularly between civilians, but licensed dealers selling the stuff is still illegal in any state.  This steel core stuff usually sells for a dollar per cartridge when advertised as "armor piercing 9mm" on Gunbroker, but it wasn't really intended as armor piercing, it's just a lead shortage thing - so they used steel instead for the cores.  It will blast through body armor of course though, not to mention vehicle bodies.

Here's a pic of the green box that I am thinking of for steel core ammo, and the associated Czech surplus that was repacked into the boxes:

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#2]
It is in the Interarms green box with yellow lettering with a black plastic tray inside. Ammo is like the 1950 Czech with the symbols on the headstamp. I haven't seen what the projectile looks like with out the jacket. I am just passing threw WY ,Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah, that is the typical steel core (iron core to be real technical) stuff.  If you get it for anything less than .50 cents per rd, then it is a deal.  I have pulled those kinds of bullets from hundreds of those types of cartridges that were looking dirty or tarnished and have cleaned & reloaded the bullets into new brass, primer & powder to make for some nice new 9mm AP stuff loaded at +P levels.  If you don't hold onto them, use them, or sell them with that aspect in mind, then it is just typical shooting ammo with relatively poor characteristics.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Try $9.75 for 50rd box I live in IL  and  I sampled some with my Glock 26 and 1/4 of the ammo needs a double tap to go off. NOT worth the BS in IL to own so I will pass the deal onto my buddies who live here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:52:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Funny thing is that 99% of law enforcement doesn't know about the law in the few ban states, or else they have no idea which ammo to enforce against.  Half the time they think Federal Nyclad is armor piercing because it has a blue coating on the bullet.  So you probably have nothing to worry about, but who knows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top