Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2015 12:58:06 PM EDT
So I think I'm going to pick up a Vaquero in 45 Colt with the 5 1/2" barrel.  To complete the package I'd like a nice belt/holster setup.  I have zero knowledge in this type off stuff.  Where should I look, who makes the good setups?  A quick google search brought up one make and I'm figuring $250-300 or so?

I doubt I'll ever do any cowboy action stuff, but I'd like some reminiscent of the 50s cowboy movies.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
There's others but start by looking at El Paso Saddlery's offerings. The end been in business since the 1880's or so.

Btw, I've got two of their holsters for my S&W N frame revolvers and they are damned nice.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
There are Vaquero and the New Vaquero.  The holsters are not interchangeable... so be sure to order the correct holster for your six shooter. The New Vaquero will be marked as "New Vaquero"

El Paso Saddlery's  products are very well made. I have the #44 Outfit and it is top quality... worth the price!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#4]

I got mine for $100 at a gun show. Look around.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#5]
El Paso was already mentioned. Check out Mernickle Holsters. He makes all types of western gear as well as single action cc holsters.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 2:43:13 AM EDT
[#6]
This one's homemade, and it shows.    It was the first holster I ever made.

I made that several years ago after seeing magazine ads for a rig by Kirkpatrick Leather.

Don't have links handy, but other makers I can think of that haven't already been mentioned include Bianchi, Black Hills Leather, Classic Old West Styles (COWS), Galco, Wm. Brown Holster Co.  Haven't researched these kinds of holsters in a long time.  Not sure who's still making and who's not.  Wanting to think Bianchi hasn't done cowboy holsters in many years.  Not sure what the Cowboy Action guys are using these days.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This one's homemade, and it shows.    It was the first holster I ever made.

http://i.imgur.com/5rfC8tc.jpg

I made that several years ago after seeing magazine ads for a rig by Kirkpatrick Leather.

Don't have links handy, but other makers I can think of that haven't already been mentioned include Bianchi, Black Hills Leather, Classic Old West Styles (COWS), Galco, Wm. Brown Holster Co.  Haven't researched these kinds of holsters in a long time.  Not sure who's still making and who's not.  Wanting to think Bianchi hasn't done cowboy holsters in many years.  Not sure what the Cowboy Action guys are using these days.
View Quote

the double loop holster is the true holster of the west.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#8]
El Paso, Mernickle, and Sam Andrews are all very good. Galco used to make a good western setup - not sure if they do, it was 1994 or so that I bought mine. Don't recall what it cost but I do remember thinking that it was more expensive than it should have been at the time.

I recently bought a couple crossdraw holsters on ebay for less than $40 each from a seller named rublemclean. Don't know if he makes them or if he just sold these couple, but I like them; especially since they were only $76 including shipping for the pair:

They're for a 4 3/4" El patron, and I prefer crossdraw because having long Shrek arms, a crossdraw just works better for me for a woods gun. I bought a tool belt at Home Depot, added cartridge loops to it with 3/4" leather strip, and then attached (sewed) the crossdraw holster to the belt. Also decided that a Falkkniven SK-6 I had laying around went with the cowboy motif so I attached it as well. The big two-prong roller buckle keeps it from looking really traditional, but overall it's totally functional:

The cartridge loops are at 3/4" spacing - it would have been better if I'd done them at 5/8" or so.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for El Paso saddelry
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:03:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Might want to check out Ted Blocker's stuff too:  http://www.tedblockerholsters.com/Western_c_13.html

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I've purchase western rigs from both Mernickle and Lobo Gun Leather.  They can do anything from a plain working rig to a fancy barbecue setup.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I got my rig from Rick Bachman at Old West Reproductions.  He can make any period style holster for the new or old Vaquero.

Mine is a repro of the Cheyenne made originally by F.A. Meanea Wyoming with extra tooling.

45 Colt rounds loaded up with The Holy Black!
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Bianchi Frontier Gunleather is the best.  The "Duke Special" is a replica of the gun belt/holster rigs that Mr Bianchi made for John Wayne.

http://www.frontiergunleather.com/index.php/gunbelts-holsters-i/western-full-gunbelts#!/Model-100/p/9392805/category=6275132
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Have a glance at 7x leather website for a nice western look
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top