Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2013 9:06:11 AM EDT
I am about to buy a used Taurus model 85. Is this model worth owning??
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Taurus revolvers vary in quality, some are good others are poor.  Read up on how to check a used revolver and see how this model 85 stacks up.  At least with taurus life time repair policy you can send it back if you have trouble.  I bought a used 94 22 LR D/A revolver which had failure to fire.  I had my dealer send it in and they fixed and sent it back to me free of charge.

My Son in Law has a 3" inch model 85 and it has a good trigger and shoots good.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  I am not sure if its a lemon or not.  I hear very good things on the taurus model 85 but I also hear horror stories.  Should I get it and take a gamble or hold out on a Charter Arms if I can even find one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Check the timing, and ask if you can dry fire it. It should feel smooth with no sticky spots in either single or double action.

Taurus uses generally good parts and components, but sometimes the fit is bad.

I'd take a Taurus that I can inspect over a Charter any day.

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Check the timing, and ask if you can dry fire it. It should feel smooth with no sticky spots in either single or double action.

Taurus uses generally good parts and components, but sometimes the fit is bad.

I'd take a Taurus that I can inspect over a Charter any day.

Good info thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Taurus guns do tend to vary in  quality but I think the 85 is one of the ones they actually got right. I have had one for almost 6 years now and I have fired about 1500 rounds through it with about half of those being .357 magnums. The trigger is pretty awful but it's reliable.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife's favorite snubby is an 85.  Older ones weren't rated for +p.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Taurus is a gamble. Although I've heard recently they're trying to get better.

I had an 85 that had to go back to the factory 3 times, on my dime, for timing issues. Kinda soured me on it. Also Taurus will not sell you very many parts, they'll make you send it in...on your dime.

Like others have said, go over it with a fine tooth comb before you commit. Also, I would not pay over 300 for any used Taurus 85. Once you're in the 300's you're in used Smith J frame territory which is light years ahead of the Taurus in quality and support.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Have a 2 inch model. Been a good gun, never a problem.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I inherited my Dad's after he passed away. Still have and carry it from time to time. I installed some other grips he had from another revolver for him once.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top