Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2013 2:04:47 PM EDT
i want a revolver and i am looking at the difference between the two and do not know which way to go . the grips will not play a factor because i will be replacing with Hogue woods grips on which ever one i buy , just would like yours guys feedback . thanks in advanced .
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Pros and cons? You're comparing apples and oranges. The pros/cons are going to be entirely different, depending upon what YOU want from the revolver you buy.

The GP100 is a medium frame 6-shot revolver with several options as far as barrel lengths. (3, 4, 5, and 6").

The SP101 is a smaller frame, 5-shot revolver with less options as far as barrel length. (2.25, 3, and 4").

What do you want out of your purchase? Are you looking for a CCW gun? Range toy? Hiking pistol? Hunting revolver?

My SP101 2.25" is a terrific part of my CCW rotation. It's construction makes it heavy, but the recoil is minimal for a gun its size.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
just buying because i want a revolver to go with the collection and target shooting . i want the smaller barrel  and is the size difference is a lot ? none of the gun shops have them in stock so it is hard to get a size comparison  of one being next to the other .
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
just buying because i want a revolver to go with the collection and target shooting . i want the smaller barrel  and is the size difference is a lot ? none of the gun shops have them in stock so it is hard to get a size comparison  of one being next to the other .

It's enough.

If you want the shorter barrel, I can't suggest the SP101 enough. Less grip options, though. You can only get round-butt grips from Hogue, but the rubberized one they sell is GREAT for range shooting.
Personally, I have boot grips from Badger, which are GREAT for carry (though thick, so they kind of get in the way of ejection and speed-loaders...).  I think Trausch sells a more squared grip if it's a dedicated range gun, though I've never handled their products.

Long story short, both are great guns. They're strong as it gets. They're all GO, not as much SHOW (the opposite of Colts). Have a trigger job done, and you'll have a perfect revolver.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think it depends on how big your hands are as to which gun you would like better.  I have medium size hands and I like the GP100 way better.  My hands are squished on the SP101, but they fit great on the GP100.  Don't get me wrong, they are both great revolvers, but I the GP100 fits me better.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Take a look at the Wiley Clapp GP100.  It is slightly larger than the SP but gets one more shot and can be fed hot stuff all afternoon long.

Just my general .02 (and I have owned both.  Settled on the WC)

GP100:
Pros:  Extra shot, stronger frame for a steady diet of +P/+P+
Con:  Larger and more expensive

SP101:
Pro:  Smaller for CCW
Con:  Not designed for a constant hot loading, 5 shot instead of 6.

Pic is not mine, just nabbed for reference.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:13:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Take a look at the Wiley Clapp GP100.  It is slightly larger than the SP but gets one more shot and can be fed hot stuff all afternoon long.

Just my general .02 (and I have owned both.  Settled on the WC)

GP100:
Pros:  Extra shot, stronger frame for a steady diet of +P/+P+
Con:  Larger and more expensive

SP101:
Pro:  Smaller for CCW
Con:  Not designed for a constant hot loading, 5 shot instead of 6.

Pic is not mine, just nabbed for reference.
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/Revolvers/My2newRugers.jpg

Never been too keen on the GP100 / SP101, but that SP101 is downright sexy. I might have to get one now.

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both. The SP101 has fixed sights very suitable for carry. They are regulated for 158 grain loads. Most available loads I shoot are not 158 grain so I have to do a little Kentucky elevation to hit what I'm aiming at. Not a big deal until you have to stretch the distances out and then it becomes a little more difficult. Although you can file down the front sights to regulate lighter loads, I've never done it.

Most GP100s have adjustable sights which really helps in the accuracy department. But they are bigger and a bit heavier. You also get that one extra round.

In my personal opinion the 3 inch models of the SP or GP are the best way to go.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the standard fixed sight 3" GP100 and a Wiley Clapp 3" GP100 with adjustable sights and I love both.  I just don't like the feel of the SP101 because it's too small and there's no way I'd give up a shot in a gun that only has six to begin with but that's just me.  It's the same reason why I prefer Ruger Vaquero's, they can be carried with six loaded safely.

I'd say keep checking shops and hopefully you'll get to handle them both and then pick whichever feels best to you.  They are both high quality guns.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 5:11:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you're not planning on carrying it a lot or concealing it, the GP series are great shooters that'll handle any .357 load; they're heavy and bulky though.  The SP series is much easier to conceal than the GP but it's still heavy for a five shot revolver. I have a 6" GP160 that I carry hunting but for a CCW revolver I much prefer my S&W 642.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#11]
>>just buying because i want a revolver to go with the collection and target shooting<<

The SP101 is no target gun, so unless you're looking for a CCW gun the GP would be the better way to go.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
>>just buying because i want a revolver to go with the collection and target shooting<<

The SP101 is no target gun, so unless you're looking for a CCW gun the GP would be the better way to go.

I think the SP is a fun target gun
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 4:24:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a couple examples of each. My current favorites are the SS 4” GP100 and the 3” SP101. The only problem I had with the 101 was the sights; they don’t work well for me. I like the gun enough that I sent it out to have S&W J frame sights fitted. Now I can shoot it much better. I can actually use the sights! What a concept!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top