Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2014 6:03:29 PM EDT
Seen some of the videos of people shooting it online and the 44 mag version seems controllable.

How do you like yours? Pics?

Any regrets or problems shooting it?

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Seen some of the videos of people shooting it online and the 44 mag version seems controllable.

How do you like yours? Pics?

Any regrets or problems shooting it?

View Quote

It's controllable, especially with lighter hitting loads.  If you're going to shoot Buffalo Bore 320gr +P+ expect some recoil though.  It's a blast to shoot and one of my favorites to stretch out every now and then.  Definitely my most fun revolver and if I loaded my own ammo I'd be shooting it a hell of a lot more often.  If you're not shy of recoil, you won't have a problem.  New shooters need not apply as they'll struggle and most are intimidated by it anyways.  It WILL take practice to become proficient, but that goes for pretty much any handgun that packs a wallop.  It's a heavy frame, though, and you can definitely manage the recoil with said practice.

No problems...no regrets.  Get one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#2]
What he said. ^

It's heavy, at 45 oz., which helps dampen the recoil of magnum loads. With .44 Special, staying on target double-action is no problem. The grips also soak up a lot of recoil. No regrets here.

I may have posted these pics before, but here goes, regardless:

Right click, 'view image' for higher resolution
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Love mine 454.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That's sweet, I have a S&W 629 V-Comp that is like the ultimate .44mag so if I got an Alaskan it would definitely be a .454 Casull.  Since we already have 6 guns in .45 Colt it makes sense on that front too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got the .454 and it is a blast to shoot.  If the bullet doesn't get the target then the fireball will!

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:29:39 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks for posting the pics. I have a few 44mag pistols and it would be nice to get an Alaskan.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I put some Altamont GP100 grips on mine.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Those grips look good on the Alaskan.

The newer models don't have that warning on the side of the barrel. They hid it on the bottom, under the ejector rod shroud.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out the Gemini Customs website. They do some awesome custom work on Ruger Alaskans.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't get the concept of the Ruger Alaskan.

Why would one put at 2.5" barrel on a magnum?
Essentially, you are carrying a .44 revolver with no more power than a .45 ACP.

Read it and weep...
ballistics

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Read it and weep...
ballistics

View Quote

It all depends on the load

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Read it and weep...
ballistics

View Quote

No.  No you don't.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Good to know that handloads can  be customized to help with the short barrel problem.
Still, the barrel is the lightest part of the revolver, why cut all of it off?

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#15]
eightring,

Those are "light" 44 mag loads you are comparing barrel length vs velocity.  

A bad analogy would be comparing a Toyota Tacoma and a 1 ton diesel pick-up truck pulling a 3000 pound tent trailer.  Yes, both will pull it just fine, and yes the 1 ton diesel is overkill for that job.

But then compare the same two trucks pulling a 10,000 pound trailer.  The little Tacoma "could" pull it, but won't like it and wont last very long.  

Back to the Alaskan:  Where it comes to shine is heavy bullets.  300 grains and up.  Those don't need to be moving very fast to be effective against things that want to eat you.  I wouldn't think many would purchase the Alaskan to be a primary hunting weapon.  Some purchase it to be a self defense handgun while out in the wilds.  I'm sure others just purchase it because it looks cool and they "just want it".  

The Rugers can take a beating and handle stout loads like Buffalo Bore as well as reloads that are well above what normal factory loads offer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top