Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2016 5:42:26 PM EDT
What do you guys thing about a .357 for hiking/fishing up in Alaska? I know bigger is better but it's also hits the pocketbook more at the range. I like the idea of shooting .38 out of a .357.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger Alaskan, because a grizzly will just be pissed off with a .357.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Growing up there, I'd say the only pistol of choice would be a sw500. Any other handgun would just be useful for the noise factor. I always felt safe carrying my 45/70. But honestly you have to be more weary of moose than bears.

Bears aren't so aggressive after coming out of hibernation and tend to go for easy food like berries etc.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Do they make a pistol in 45-70 govt?

Just googled it...son of a bitch, they do!
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#4]
If it must be a pistol, 44 magnum with some hard cast rounds is the minimum I would go.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#5]
12 ga. with slugs is minimum for bear in AK IMHO. A revolver is a waste and dangerous to boot if you're really expecting to stop something.
A 44 mag is not going to stop a bear coming at you at 30 MPH with his head and body bouncing up and down and with any pistol, you had better be a damn good shot..
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Fishing, it depends on what and where, salmon fishing, usually has enough people around (aka combat fishing) where a weapon will most likely not be discharged.  

Trout fishing or hiking away from the crowds, a shotgun slung over the shoulder is my recommendation.

A .357 is better than a pointed stick but for real defense against a bear with an attitude is marginal at best, .38 is only if you're traveling with a group, then you can shoot someone in the leg and make your escape from the bear.

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I would go .44 Magnum or greater.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#8]
S&W M69.   300 gr  or so cast WFN with full loads.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Bear spray will actually serve you better and also cost far less.

Researchers have found that about 50% of those who defended themselves with a firearm ended up injured or killed, while neraly 100% of those who used spray escaped unharmed. Of the few that used spray but we're still attacked, their injuries were far less severe than that suffered by those who tried to shoot their way out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#10]
hunted midwestern deer with a 44mag for years

tried a 6" .357 168grSWC GasCheck with a max load of H-110 magnum powder

not impressed

went back to a 44

deer are much smaller....and they run away from humans

dispite hollywood propaganda,...handguns are weak, even the 44magnum
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Years back some guys fishing from a boat killed a grizzly with a Beretta 92 after dropping their 870 in the river.

12 Gauge or 45-70 is great if you are going to be far away from civilization, or hunting where a bear may want to challenge you for the kill.

Otherwise most people go with either a .44 Mag +, or a G20. .357 is just not enough gun, even with the hard casts.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it must be a pistol, 44 magnum with some hard cast rounds is the minimum I would go.
View Quote

I would recommend a standard Ruger Red Hawk with the 5.5 in barrel.  Nothing fancy, not too big or too small, too heavy or too light, just a great, sturdy and reliable, all around .44mag.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Get one if the new .45colt/auto redhawks. Load 325 grain bullets going 1300fps for AK and plink with .45 auto at home.

I think most .38s cost the same as .45s last time i looked.

Id prefer a long gun too but the op asked about handguns.

Id prefer a .30-30 over a .45colt/44 mag
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
.357 is just not enough gun, even with the hard casts.
View Quote

Yet for generations the big Browns were successfully hunted and defended against with loads that were far 'less' than many of today's modern 357 magnum offerings. Look into our settlement history and start with the common 45 black powder loadings out of the SAA, countless grizzly have fallen to such loads with many having been well documented by notable individuals.

Spray is still the better defensive option.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Years back some guys fishing from a boat killed a grizzly with a Beretta 92 after dropping their 870 in the river.

12 Gauge or 45-70 is great if you are going to be far away from civilization, or hunting where a bear may want to challenge you for the kill.

Otherwise most people go with either a .44 Mag +, or a G20. .357 is just not enough gun, even with the hard casts.
View Quote

So a glock 20 is enough but a .357 isnt?

a 180 grain wfn hardcast at 1400 wont cut it but a 220 grain fp going 1200 is a big enough difference to notice?

Id prefer a glock 20 personally but I would be ok with a .357 s&w mountain gun as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yet for generations the big Browns were successfully hunted and defended against with loads that were far 'less' than many of today's modern 357 magnum offerings. Look into our settlement history and start with the common 45 black powder loadings out of the SAA, countless grizzly have fallen to such loads with many having been well documented by notable individuals.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So why does Griz scat contain small bells and smell like pepper ?

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 1:55:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There will be exceptions, but in general the average hot 10mm load exceeds the average hot 357 mag load. There have been grizzlies killed with 22 lr, but I will not texst my luck. I have heard of more than one bear killed by the state police with Glock 22's when the shotguns were not accessible. The rule for Alaska is to carry the biggest, hottest loaded caliber that you will carry. A flat nosed hard cast and heavy for caliber bullet will perform better against a bear or moose. The 44mag and surprisingly the 10mm have the biggest following in Alaska as far as handguns and both calibers can be bought in the grocery store. Most natives carry a long gun with a single action 44 mag like a Blackhawk as a BUG. I have seen one or two 45long colts but I can't think of the first .357 mag seen out in the bush.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 3:21:21 AM EDT
[#18]
That's a tough question to answer man.  I've  lived up here for a few years (in Fairbanks).  I keep a glock 20 on my hip or in a chest holster (diamond d leather) when I'm out ad about.  I do have a 44 mag (329 pd), but I found that I shoot the glock 20 much more effectively.

I'd hate to have to face an angry bear with either the glock or the smith.  A rifle or shotgun with slugs would serve you better, but I can garuntee you it takes much discipline to keep a long gun in your hands in the back country.....more than likely you will have a camera, binos, or a tasty beverage in your mits :).  Plus you will need both hands for swatting all the skeeters.  They are horrible.

Joking aside, I'd go with something that is light, holds a bunch of bullets, and is "shootable".  For me, that is the glock 20.  I can't accurately shoot the 44 quickly.  And the glock conceals in my waist band when I'm in town.

Good luck with your choice!
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 4:24:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gotta assume you're gonna encounter the biggest thing out there, right?
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 5:26:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#21]
500 Magnum and a Randall, go big or go home.

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bear spray will actually serve you better and also cost far less.

Researchers have found that about 50% of those who defended themselves with a firearm ended up injured or killed, while neraly 100% of those who used spray escaped unharmed. Of the few that used spray but we're still attacked, their injuries were far less severe than that suffered by those who tried to shoot their way out.
View Quote

most bear scat up here is identified by the unique smell of pepper spray and also has tiny bells in it

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's a tough question to answer man.  I've  lived up here for a few years (in Fairbanks).  I keep a glock 20 on my hip or in a chest holster (diamond d leather) when I'm out ad about.  I do have a 44 mag (329 pd), but I found that I shoot the glock 20 much more effectively.

I'd hate to have to face an angry bear with either the glock or the smith.  A rifle or shotgun with slugs would serve you better, but I can garuntee you it takes much discipline to keep a long gun in your hands in the back country.....more than likely you will have a camera, binos, or a tasty beverage in your mits :).  Plus you will need both hands for swatting all the skeeters.  They are horrible.

Joking aside, I'd go with something that is light, holds a bunch of bullets, and is "shootable".  For me, that is the glock 20.  I can't accurately shoot the 44 quickly.  And the glock conceals in my waist band when I'm in town.

Good luck with your choice!
View Quote

This is pretty much the story of most people that live in Alaska. I believe most would love to have a S&W 460 or 500 but that is a lot of money and budgets are generally tight for Alaskans. There are more Taurus revolvers than you can imagine being carried because they are affordable. Most people have old worn out Rugers or just carry a long gun in the woods.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Plenty of people carrying 10mm glocks up here for there woods gun.
I picked up a ruger in 454, but more for a novelty than for carry.
In my area, south central AK, I'm more concerned about two legged critters than four.

I would have no reservations in carrying a .357 if that's what your wanting to buy.

Ymmv
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#25]

I would very much like to know more
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#26]
5.5"  44mag superblackhawk

315gr flatpoint GasChecks

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 2:01:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you could go with a .500 Linebaugh

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 2:03:19 AM EDT
[#28]
For "big mean bear that won't quit until one party is dead country", 44 Mag with an FU!!! level charging of HC bullets. Minimum.

Having a hiking partner ready with spray and one with a sufficient firearm is even better. Both proficient in the use of the carry item of course. And obviously a rifle or shotgun with slugs is preferable, but as others have stated, realistically, while spending significant time in the back country, the gun you have on you is better than the one leaning against a tree while you're taking a shit etc.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 2:13:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x91/jwp13051/parker_buffalo.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 2:33:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

40-45 yards, DRT, shot all the way through a buffalo

And people thought I was crazy because I was going to try and shoot a deer with a .41 Magnum.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#31]
The few times I was in Alaska I carried my Smith 58 with 270 gr WFN hard cast bullets.  If all you have is a .357 then carry it but try and carry the biggest thing that you can afford and shoot well.  A hit with a .357 is more effective then 6 misses with a .454.

CD
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is awesome..
great trophy. is that yours?  if it is.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:14:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

that is awesome..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is awesome..

I wish it was. The biggest thing I've ever hunted was deer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I lived in Alaska for a few years. Few things come to mind. First please dont read the Alaska Bear tales series of books....there are really not bears lurking behind every small bush just waiting to rape women and children.

IF you need to stop a bear, it starts with a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs and then heavy caliber rifle. Yes I have shot a grizzly at less than 25 yards with a .375  H&H. These animals can take a lot and keep going.

Your handgun is only a last resort weapon. Never mind the caliber.

Here's a real life test for those who have not seen the elephant.  Take the magnum of your choice. Place a styrofoam dinner plate 15 yards away. Draw and pull the trigger as quickly as you can...A very experienced shooter may get one shot on the plate. 2% might even get two. Repeat the same test with a Glock 10mm or .45

Carry whatever you own. Better an old beat up pump shotgun , than buying a new bear pistol. Unless you just want to buy a new bear pistol that will seldom be shot.

One guys experience
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#35]

OOH Thats sexy.  

ETA:  This is what I would buy OP.  

POLICE TRADE 870
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Do you own a home defense shotgun?
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
12 ga. with slugs is minimum for bear in AK IMHO. A revolver is a waste and dangerous to boot if you're really expecting to stop something.
A 44 mag is not going to stop a bear coming at you at 30 MPH with his head and body bouncing up and down and with any pistol, you had better be a damn good shot..
View Quote

Thats what I usually carried when I was out and about up there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

For the last time.....THIS!!
You aren't good enough to shoot a big angry bear with a handgun with no backup and neither are any of us.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You aren't good enough to shoot a big angry bear with a handgun with no backup and neither are any of us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you good enough to flyfish, quarter a deer, or start a fire with that shotgun as easily accessible as a holstered handgun?

No ones saying a handgun is better than a rifle/shotgun for killing a bear. Just for doing 99-100% of everything else thats being done.

There's plenty of reports of handguns taking down attacking animals. Practice more
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Bear spray and a Glock G20. If budget is a concern pick up a .40 S&W barrel for range practice.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Are you good enough to flyfish, quarter a deer, or start a fire with that shotgun as easily accessible as a holstered handgun?

No ones saying a handgun is better than a rifle/shotgun for killing a bear. Just for doing 99-100% of everything else thats being done...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No ones saying a handgun is better than a rifle/shotgun for killing a bear. Just for doing 99-100% of everything else thats being done...

This imo. I used to carry a .357 levergun and .357 DA revolver in the woods or when just out puttering working on a fence, cutting firewood, etc. The carbine is HUGELY more capable than the revolver, both in terms of power and accuracy. But it dawned on me one day that the carbine was rarely actually with me. It was in the truck, on the four-wheeler, leaning against a tree, or somewhere close; but not on me. Finally just started carrying the revolver with heavy loads. We don't have grizzlies here, but we do have black bear, panthers, and massive feral hogs, so I eventually switched to a heavier revolver probably ten years ago or so.

Sure, I'd rather have a long gun if a hungry, angry, or just otherwise mean animal charged me. But when I did carry a carbine with me in the woods, I rarely actually had a carbine with me in the woods.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#42]
It's a tough deal to save your ass from a bear with a handgun, but there's no other way to go for me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top