Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2015 11:51:43 PM EDT
I have narrowed down my search to one of these 2 pistols. I need some help from cz guys. This is my first.

Is the compact the size of a 1911 CCO?

How does the compact do with target shooting? Concealed carry?

Is the compact the size of a glock 19?

Is the full size really needed for plinking target shooting?

Does the longer sight radius give better accuracy?

Is one more reliable then the other?

Is 115 gr bullets ok or do they like 124?

I am ready to pull the trigger but I am stuck on which one to get.

Thanks

Any other info would be helpful.
I want steel frame not aluminum
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have narrowed down my search to one of these 2 pistols. I need some help from cz guys. This is my first.

Is the compact the size of a 1911 CCO? Not sure, never had a CCO

How does the compact do with target shooting? Concealed carry? Target shooting is ok, the full size is typically more accurate.  The compact is a little heavy for most people's tastes for CCW.  I carried one for years but now I carry a CZ P07.  Same size, but polymer frame.

Is the compact the size of a glock 19?  Pretty close

Is the full size really needed for plinking target shooting? Not necessary, you can plink with anything.  The full size is a very accurate gun though, and great if you're into action shooting like 3 gun or USPSA.

Does the longer sight radius give better accuracy? It does for me.

Is one more reliable then the other? Not in my experience.

Is 115 gr bullets ok or do they like 124? Both of mine like either.

I am ready to pull the trigger but I am stuck on which one to get.

Thanks

Any other info would be helpful.

I want steel frame not aluminum
View Quote
I have both.  The Compact was my second CZ (CZ85 was my first) and was bought as a concealed carry gun.  I eventually stopped carrying it and went with a P07.

My 75B is my favorite pistol, hands down.  I've done a lot of trigger work with parts from CZ Custom and Cajun Gun Works.  The factory triggers typically aren't horrible, but aren't anything spectacular either.  With the right parts they can come close to a good 1911 trigger.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:19:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally, if I was to do it all over again I would have skipped the Compact and went right to the P07.  I like my Compact, but I just don't shoot it much.  My P07 is lighter and more accurate, and pretty much exactly the same size.  

The 75B is too big for most people to easily carry concealed (although it's possible) but it's a great range/competition gun.  I would like to get an SP-01 one of these days, since the extra weight up front really helps it shoot flat.

I guess it just comes down to what you want to use it for.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry the steel framed compact, which is very close to the G19 in size, but considerably heavier. I've found that with a good belt and holster, the weight issue can be mitigated. There's no reason the compact would disappoint as a plinking gun either. It's as accurate as any full size or compact gun I've owned. Plus the weight really tames the recoil from hotter loads.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a CZ 75D PCR and it's a wonderful gun. When I consider pistols for concealed carry or hunting I always look at websites for the sizes and weights. Height, length, width, weight, and most important; reliability. You can't go wrong with any CZ.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#5]
How is the rami for a pocket pistol? This would be for ccw only. Some practice.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#6]
It's also a nice CZ but in my opinion a little wide for pocket carry
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Too big for pocket carry, it is a pretty thick pistol.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a P01 and a CCO.  P01 used to be my EDC but the CCO is a good bit thinner and carries much easier.
Don't be worried about the steel vs alum frame, my P01 is alloy with 6k rds thru it and 500 of those were +P.
More holster wear than anything is all I see.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the CZ 75 P01 compact and it is very close to the same size as the Glock 19.
My wife has the P07 and it is the same size as the P01. I can even use the Kydex Alien Gear P01 holster for the P07 and vice versa

the P01 and P07 are really nice. I CCW the P01 in the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0

ETA:
since we have had the P01 and P07 we haven't shot any of our other pistols or revolvers for plinking
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I went to the LGS at lunch and they had a cz 75 B.he wanted 574.99 before a 3% cash discount. The gun felt really nice. I wish he had a compact and or rami to hold. The full size made an impression with me. Buds is a bit cheaper. The trigger felt pretty good on this pistol. Are they all generally the same or do they vary a lot?

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I went to the LGS at lunch and they had a cz 75 B.he wanted 574.99 before a 3% cash discount.
View Quote

Regular B, or one of those Omega abominations?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Regular B

What is the difference?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I went back to the LGS and I looked over the 75B it was an omega. I specifically asked when I first went in. I don't think he knew. I passed on it. My son and I were talking on the way home and we agreed to get the compact and we ordered it from buds today.

I should have a 75 compact soon. If I like it I will get a full size down the road. I think I will like it. Buds is a much better value even with transfer. They wanted $574.99 for a compact, omega 75B and a 75B. I guess that was their magic number. I was very polite and said no thank you. I will think about it.

Buds was $492 to my FFL insured with CC for compact. $555 to my FFL insured with CC for full size 75B.Buds wanted $474 for omega before CC and insurance.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#14]
The Omegas are cheaper - because they're crap.

They use uncommon parts - some of which are likely specific to that model alone, and not even shared with the polymer Omega models. The early examples suffered from many spring-related failures; covered under warranty, but still not something that's nice to deal with, and the fault was something that is physically impossible on a regular 75. They are nowhere near as robust as the original design.

While the triggers may seem nicer to some out of the box, you can't do anywhere near as much to them as you can to a conventional CZ - meaning that a tuned Omega will pale in comparison to a tuned B, and even that will fall behind a tuned non-B (pre-B, Shadow, or TS). This is an inherent limitation in the Omega design, and cannot be addressed without fully replacing the entire FCG with custom parts.

I have said it before, and I will say it again - you could not pay me to take another one of those things.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Get a PCR. Aluminum framed compact.  It will do everything you want with less weight.

CCW, Target, Plinking etc..  

Steel frame adds unneeded weight for a 9mm handgun.  IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I could not decide either so.........

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Get a PCR. Aluminum framed compact.  It will do everything you want with less weight.

CCW, Target, Plinking etc..  

Steel frame adds unneeded weight for a 9mm handgun.  IMHO.
View Quote

I started with a steel CZ75 Compact, and later purchased a PCR.  I love the feel of both in the hand, but the PCR is noticeably lighter.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/jkh62/media/CZ%20compact/NCM_0108_zpspgsctdny.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w560/jkh62/CZ%20compact/NCM_0108_zpspgsctdny.jpg</a>
View Quote

I think this is what is going to happen with me. I told my wife today that if I like this new gun I will probably buy 1 or 2 more as time goes by. My wife is Czech decent and her family comes from the the area the CZ's are made. So she is kinda into them. Funny thing is she doesn't like guns.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Congrats on the purchase!  Now, here are two places to help feed your CZ addiction:

www.czcustom.com

www.cajungunworks.com
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I think you will like the Compact. I bought one a few months ago and dropped about $400 with Cajun in upgraded parts. After putting them on it and doing some strategic polishing, it has an awesome single action and nice double action trigger. It also shoots my 124 grain reloads to point of aim.

If I could only change one thing, it would be the factory sights. I hated them. The Cajun Gun Works sights are very nice for my needs. Their rear might be a bit much for concealed carry though..
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 2:07:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Had the same dilemma, but I opted for a CZ75D PCR.  I really liked the weight and feel of the compact over the full size.  Next one will be a full size SP-01.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think this is what is going to happen with me. I told my wife today that if I like this new gun I will probably buy 1 or 2 more as time goes by. My wife is Czech decent and her family comes from the the area the CZ's are made. So she is kinda into them. Funny thing is she doesn't like guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/jkh62/media/CZ%20compact/NCM_0108_zpspgsctdny.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w560/jkh62/CZ%20compact/NCM_0108_zpspgsctdny.jpg</a>

I always liked the full size 75 and never picked one up despite many opportunities. The PCR compact was my first pickup. I had a Glock 19 that just never clicked for me and wanted to try the CZ compact. The CZ feels better and I shoot it better.
The CZ's that followed were the 75B &  the tactical.
I have three CZ pistols and three less glocks now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I just picked up my CZ75 compact. These are my thoughts on this very well made pistol.

First,the fit and finish is excellent. The gun has a European look and style to it. a bit different from the 1911 look but very nice. I bought this gun without seeing it and only holding the full size at the store. The grip is a shrunk down size of the full size 75B. Being smaller the beavertail digs into the web part of my hand a bit. Nothing terrible but when you grab the gun to get a high grip it then digs into the web.
If I  hold the gun high my pinky gets pinched by the base pad of the mag. To avoid that I have to let the pinky go under the base pad of the mag.

As for controls the safety is a bit to far forward  for me to disengage quickly like a 1911. In double action the trigger is a bit to far foward for a fast controlled trigger pull in a defensive situation.

After shooting the gun. I feel for my size hand start in single action and shoot that way. The trigger in single and double action is excellent. The gun is a very well made top of the line firearm. The steel frame has some weight but nothing terrible. If you only shoot glocks or plastic you will think it is very heavy.

My son and I shared 150 rounds of ammo and both shot it very well. we used 115 FMJ Winchester white box,lawman and federal 9mm caliber. We had not one failure. The accuracy was excellent. Hitting bowling pins at 25 yards with easy and grouping at approx 6-7 yards with exceptional results. Head shots On a B27 target with no issues. The gun functioned perfect. Recoil was minimal.ejection was positive.

I give this little gun a B+ only because of the beavertail issue and pinky issue. This is probably my hand that causes the problem. I did feel a bit of pinch on the trigger finger like I read on these forums but nothing real bad and after 75 rounds or so.
I would only carry this gun if I could get a different thumb safety and a mag base pad that helps the pinching. I would carry it cocked and locked in a good rig.
My son gives it an A+. He has no issues at all at this point with this gun.

I am going to get a full size and we are going to share these 2 pistols. I would recommend this pistol but I would say make sure you hold it before you buy it.
Finally,buds gun shop is efferent and you save a good amount of money buying this way. $492 shipped and insured from buds and $25 transfer from my FLL.
I am  looking forward to getting the full size.

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:...
If I could only change one thing, it would be the factory sights. I hated them....
View Quote

I just picked up a used B and couldn't agree more.  I've had it for about a week and I've put about 250 rds through it without a hiccup--Rangers, Gold Dots, FMJ and lead, it digests them all without complaint.  I love the feel, love the trigger and love the way it shoots, but the factory CZ sights are almost as bad as the original 1911 sights.

I'm still shopping for the right tritium set, but in the meantime, I drilled out the front sight and installed a piece of Truglo red/green fiber optic rod.  You can get the rods at Cabelas/Gander/Sportsman's Warehouse or Amazon for about $8/pack.  The $8 pack comes with five 5" rods, so you'll have plenty to practice with--it's a little tricky to melt the ends without bubbling.  

My orange/black LOK grips have been ordered, and I think this pistol is going to be seeing a lot of carry time.

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#25]
The factory sights do leave a lot to be desired.  My P07 came with tritium sights that are pretty good, but the standard B sights suck.  I put a set from CGW on my 75B - fiber optic front and a wide rear.  It made a huge difference.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, Mec-Gar makes a 17 round mag for the full size that has a wide plastic base pad.  You can also get a +2 base pad from Mec-Gar that turns the 17 into a 19 round.  You might be able to put one of those onto the 14 round compact mags.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The grip is a shrunk down size of the full size 75B. Being smaller the beavertail digs into the web part of my hand a bit. Nothing terrible but when you grab the gun to get a high grip it then digs into the web.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The grip is a shrunk down size of the full size 75B. Being smaller the beavertail digs into the web part of my hand a bit. Nothing terrible but when you grab the gun to get a high grip it then digs into the web.

Confused here. The compact is no different from a full-size except that it is shorter, top-to-bottom. That's it. The grip frame is just a 75B that had the bottom chopped off. (You can actually put full-size grips on a compact by chopping them down.)

Quoted:
If I  hold the gun high my pinky gets pinched by the base pad of the mag.

Several options:

- USGI M9 baseplates. Fit perfectly flush with the frontstrap, lowest profile possible.
- Alternative pads; CZ offers rubber ones, and there are other aftermarket ones available as well.
- Use a 16-round factory full-size mag with the wraparound basepad from a factory SP-01 magazine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Confused here. The compact is no different from a full-size except that it is shorter, top-to-bottom. That's it. The grip frame is just a 75B that had the bottom chopped off. (You can actually put full-size grips on a compact by chopping them down.

thats what I mean they are shorter

Several options:

- USGI M9 baseplates. Fit perfectly flush with the frontstrap, lowest profile possible.
- Alternative pads; CZ offers rubber ones, and there are other aftermarket ones available as well.
- Use a 16-round factory full-size mag with the wraparound basepad from a factory SP-01 magazine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Confused here. The compact is no different from a full-size except that it is shorter, top-to-bottom. That's it. The grip frame is just a 75B that had the bottom chopped off. (You can actually put full-size grips on a compact by chopping them down.

thats what I mean they are shorter

Quoted:
If I  hold the gun high my pinky gets pinched by the base pad of the mag.

Several options:

where do I get any of these options?
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Where do I get any of these options?
View Quote

- USGI M9 plates: probably watch (or ask on) the EE.
- CZ pads (either rubber or SP-01): CZ-USA, Greg Cote, or CZ Custom.
- Other pads: from their respective manufacturers.

This is what a factory 16-round magazines with a SP-01 basepad looks like in a Compact:

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#30]
That looks like it would help

I ordered 2 base pads from beretta USA.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I just picked up a used B and couldn't agree more.  I've had it for about a week and I've put about 250 rds through it without a hiccup--Rangers, Gold Dots, FMJ and lead, it digests them all without complaint.  I love the feel, love the trigger and love the way it shoots, but the factory CZ sights are almost as bad as the original 1911 sights.

I'm still shopping for the right tritium set, but in the meantime, I drilled out the front sight and installed a piece of Truglo red/green fiber optic rod.  You can get the rods at Cabelas/Gander/Sportsman's Warehouse or Amazon for about $8/pack.  The $8 pack comes with five 5" rods, so you'll have plenty to practice with--it's a little tricky to melt the ends without bubbling.  

My orange/black LOK grips have been ordered, and I think this pistol is going to be seeing a lot of carry time.

Would you please post pics after you get the orange/black lok grips in... I'm looking at getting 2 sets of loks and that color combination looks really nice..
Thanks!.

<a href="http://s1162.photobucket.com/user/fighterfixer1/media/20151018_172946.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q527/fighterfixer1/20151018_172946.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1162.photobucket.com/user/fighterfixer1/media/20151018_173150.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q527/fighterfixer1/20151018_173150.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:...
If I could only change one thing, it would be the factory sights. I hated them....

Would you please post pics after you get the orange/black lok grips in... I'm looking at getting 2 sets of loks and that color combination looks really nice..
Thanks!.

<a href="http://s1162.photobucket.com/user/fighterfixer1/media/20151018_172946.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q527/fighterfixer1/20151018_172946.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1162.photobucket.com/user/fighterfixer1/media/20151018_173150.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q527/fighterfixer1/20151018_173150.jpg</a>

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Personally, if I was to do it all over again I would have skipped the Compact and went right to the P07.  I like my Compact, but I just don't shoot it much.  My P07 is lighter and more accurate, and pretty much exactly the same size.  

The 75B is too big for most people to easily carry concealed (although it's possible) but it's a great range/competition gun.  I would like to get an SP-01 one of these days, since the extra weight up front really helps it shoot flat.

I guess it just comes down to what you want to use it for.  

View Quote

Honestly, skip the SP01 and get a P09.  I had an SP01, and have shot a P09 extensively, and the significantly heavier SP01 doesn't offer any advantage over the P09.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 5:22:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks!.

View Quote

Here ya go!  I ordered the LOK grips on Friday and they were in the mailbox on Monday.  Great price, fast shipping and they fit perfectly!  They're a little thinner than the originals and the checkering is a bit more aggressive than I expected--feels about the same as a Glock RTF 2.  I can always knock down the points with sandpaper if they're uncomfortable to carry.  Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Link Posted: 10/22/2015 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#35]
I guess this thread is as good as any for me to get off a rant. (Rant at end of post).

I only recently came to the CZ game because I wanted a really nice and accurate 9mm target pistol and the S&W 52's are obsolete, too damn expensive (collectables now), and parts may be iffy in the future.

Since my first choice was gone, I started to do the whole bag of research, and to keep the story short, I decided upon the CZ Tactical Sport, and damn, I sure made the right choice. I was concerned about the size of the grip, but it feels great compared to my S&W 5906 that feels a lot like holding a club and not a pistol grip.
The CZ-TS grip is really comfortable, and it's accuracy is amazing. Serious amazing. So I got the 9mm Target PIstol I wanted and am very happy with it.

So then I decided that I liked the CZ brand so much that I should get an example of what made the company great in the first place, and that would be their 75b.

So my choice was between the 75b and the 75b Compact (with safeties... no decockers for me).

I leaned a lot toward the Compact, but the deal breaker happened when I saw that the full size 75b could be had in stainless, and I am a huge fan of stainless, and have been ever since the manufacturers figured out how to make them right.

That made my personal decision easy, and I went with the full size 75b in stainless. Like the CZ-TS, I love it for it's fit, finish, and accuracy so I never have to look back. It's wonderful piece of modern design (slide inside frame) but old school at the same time (all steel).

Now the rant; why in hell can't CZ make a STAINLESS 75b Compact with safety, and using an allow frame for weight savings? That would definitely be my next CZ, but it will probably never happen. I'm just not interested in any of the other models unless it was a P-01, but it would also NEED to be in stainless with an alloy frame and with safety. I just prefer the "old school" look of the original 75b over the full dust cover models.
Rant over.

I am like an 8 year old at Christmas now that I have two of what I consider CZ's most iconic pistols, and while I wouldn't consider the full size 75b to be a carry pistol for it's size and weight, neither would I consider the current 75b Compact a carry pistol for it's weight and it's less than durable coated finish.

Bottom line is that if I were not so committed to stainless as my always first choice in a pistol, I would have definitely leaned toward the 75b Compact w/safety. For anyone else who isn't so married to stainless, I think the 75b Compact is everything the full size is other than the shorter sight radius, and that's not such a deal breaker if you ask me. It would still make a helluva great house gun or range gun, still allow high-capacity with the right mags, and is itself one of the iconic CZ's that is both bullet proof and accurate.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I put another 150 rounds through the 75 compact. This time it was all my reloads. 115 berry's RN plated over 4.8 gr of w231. Excellent function and very accurate. I got base pads for the mag and now my grip is much better and no pinching. Excellent gun looking foward to a full size in the future.

Just a side note. It is more accurate then my glock 17. Shot them side by side.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Excellent gun looking foward to a full size in the future.
View Quote

And once you have a full size you can do a little mix and match if you so desire.  

CZ 75 SA and P 01 in factory configuration:

Slides swapped.  P01 slide on SA full size frame (or what CZ used to call the semi compact) and a "long slide" compact with the SA slide on the P01 frame.

I need to get a safety equipped compact and do a SAO conversion for it....I think a safety equipped compact frame and the SA full size slide might be an interesting carry choice.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 4:23:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Here ya go!  I ordered the LOK grips on Friday and they were in the mailbox on Monday.  Great price, fast shipping and they fit perfectly!  They're a little thinner than the originals and the checkering is a bit more aggressive than I expected--feels about the same as a Glock RTF 2.  I can always knock down the points with sandpaper if they're uncomfortable to carry.  Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase.

<a href="http://s1162.photobucket.com/user/fighterfixer1/media/20151020_051242.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q527/fighterfixer1/20151020_051242.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!.

<a href="http://s1162.photobucket.com/user/fighterfixer1/media/20151020_051242.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q527/fighterfixer1/20151020_051242.jpg</a>

Appreciate it!!.....I ended up getting that color combination but with the frag style, though I still need 1 more set for the PCR and I think I'll get what you have this go round...the grips look nice!!

Jackpot
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#39]
This whole thread is quickly leading me to the conclusion that I need a SP-01 tactical and a SP-01 SA/DA to convert to SAO.  I thank you all for the future pain to my checking account.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top