Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2013 1:13:35 PM EDT
I bought this Argentine Hi-Power clone today. The slide is marked FM Hi-Power Industria Argentina. I gave $225.00 for it.

The "finish" is a baked-on black. It had a set of Pachmeyer Signature series rubber grips but I switched them out for a set of Browning wood grips. The Browning grips are a perfect fit.

I'm a bit confused as to the "flavor" of Argentine H-P this one is. I figure it's commercial but I can't find a import marking on it.

Were they finished in a baked-on black or was that something another owner did?

It does not come up in quality to my 1969 C series H-P but I sort of like this one. It's got a great trigger too.

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a nice FM.  Century Arms imported a couple of thousand of those NIB in the early 1990's, along with a couple other importers around the country at the time.  It appears to have been re-finished and the importer info was probably lost in the process.  Or it never had one and came from some other country.  Century from time to time simply forgot to add it, especially around that time period.  They were REAL busy then, were talking hundreds of thousands of Chi-Com SKS's, Enfields and all manner of surplus Hi-Powers imported and sold through any number of the approx. 350,000 active FFL's in the country at the time.  Good luck.

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll give you $250

Nice score.  As the poster above said, they were imported in the early to mid 90's.  a friend of mine bought one the week of the AW ban so he could have a standard capacity gun.  He never had any problems with it that I can recall.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I found some pics of like HPs and the finish is the same as mine.

At least the previous owner removed the dang mag safety.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Detective model (shorter slide and barrel). The trigger was shit before Brass worked on it, now it breaks like glass!
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have the Detective model (shorter slide and barrel). The trigger was shit before Brass worked on it, now it breaks like glass!

Someone removed the mag safety/pin so I suspect that is why my trigger is pretty good.

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone removed the mag safety/pin so I suspect that is why my trigger is pretty good.

Even without that it was shit. IIRC they basically reparked everything, including the trigger parts.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#7]
"Albatross" imported some in the late 80s/early 90s. They were pretty cheap at the time but pretty good guns. I owned one for years and gave it to my son who still has it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 2:14:23 AM EDT
[#8]
quote]Quoted:
"Albatross" imported some in the late 80s/early 90s. They were pretty cheap at the time but pretty good guns. I owned one for years and gave it to my son who still has it.[/quote]

A guy over  on Gunboards said he bought one like mine with the same finish from CAI in the early 90s. Said he gave $229.95 for it back then.

LOL....Don't look like they appreciated in value much.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 2:20:09 AM EDT
[#9]
They are good pistols. A good buy at less then $250. The wrap around grips had to go.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 5:16:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I pulled the slide off my C series H-P and it fit the Argy H-P frame just fine. They skimped on the finish but the quality/fit  looks to be there when compaired to some of the other H-P clones.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 5:47:36 AM EDT
[#11]
The first thing I do when purchasing a used BHP or clone is to replace the recoil spring with a new one. The factory spec spring is a 17 pound spring and the 18.5 pound spring is usually recommended for +P ammo. They're dirt cheap and offer a lot of protection, especially if the gun shows signs of having been arsenal "abused."

MM
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice gun and good price. I would have certainly bought it for that. I have a M95 FM and like it. I think it was $279 new 10 years or so ago.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#13]
A well used FM90 was the first pistol I ever purchased. I've now owned three Brownings but I still shoot the FM90 more than any of them. Fantastic pistol that has been boringly reliable.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#14]
That's an M95. The M90 has a rib going down the top of the slide.

Quoted:
I pulled the slide off my C series H-P and it fit the Argy H-P frame just fine. They skimped on the finish but the quality/fit  looks to be there when compaired to some of the other H-P clones.

I prefer my FM to both my FN Mk.1 and my brother's FN SFS. It is actually more accurate than the other two. All are fine pistols. I'm not sure about the HP clones, but FM's steel quality in their FAL's was reported to be better than FN's. The Argentines have been making guns for a long while. They're usually not the prettiest, but they work very well. You got a good deal, in my opinion. I'd be happy to pay that much.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 4:44:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Good gun at a GREAT price. Believe it or not the Pachmeyer wrap around grips are "correct" for Argentine guns both military and commercial models. The finish may be original. I have a military model that is finished with enamel paint over a thinly parkerized surface.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good gun at a GREAT price. Believe it or not the Pachmeyer wrap around grips are "correct" for Argentine guns both military and commercial models. The finish may be original. I have a military model that is finished with enamel paint over a thinly parkerized surface.

Yep, mine has the same painted style finish and came with Pachmeyers although my slide is the non-scalloped version like Timkel's*.  It's had a little work done on it but it's another in the "boringly reliable" category; it's eats everything I feed it and keeps right on shooting.  It's very accurate too especially when you first pick it up and can rattle the slide.  I really wish I'd picked up one of the Detective kits that Sarco was selling cheap years ago.  

*I'd love to have the slide machined down but it's probably not worth it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My M95 came with regular black checkered plastic grips as seen on the FN/Brownings, not the Pachmayr.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My M95 came with regular black checkered plastic grips as seen on the FN/Brownings, not the Pachmayr.

Mine did as well, same as the ones on the green gun earlier in this thread (bought mine new).
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine did as well, same as the ones on the green gun earlier in this thread (bought mine new).

I don't care for the wrap-around Pachmayr grips. I was glad I had a extra set of wood grips or I would have ordered a set.

BTW....I just got in two Mec-Gar 13 round mags for it. The mag that was with it worked OK but is not much more than a good range mag. I don't think it was a Argy contract mag.

Link Posted: 6/15/2013 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#20]
To the original poster, I stand corrected.  I checked my FM-made example made around the same time period and yours does not appear to be refinished.  Just like yours, mine is a flat-black paint over park, with the proof-marks easily visible just like your photo above.  Good move on the Mec-Gar's too.  My original FM 13rd magazine looks exactly like a real Belgian-made FN mag but it has kinda iffy in the reliability department.  After I purchased a single 13rd Mec-Gar, it's been completely reliable with everything that I can fit in the mag, ball or JHP's.  Great guns and I too would have jumped at the chance to purchase that FM for $225.00!  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
quote]Quoted:
"Albatross" imported some in the late 80s/early 90s. They were pretty cheap at the time but pretty good guns. I owned one for years and gave it to my son who still has it.

A guy over  on Gunboards said he bought one like mine with the same finish from CAI in the early 90s. Said he gave $229.95 for it back then.

LOL....Don't look like they appreciated in value much.

[/quote]

They are usually trading in the $425 +/- $25 range around here these days.

The detectives usually get $500-$600

Of course I passed up a Detective for $250 before I knew this

Very well regarded "clone".

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, mine had the plastic grips that have the same checkered pattern as the standard FN wood grips, not the later plastic grips with the thumb groove or whatever you want to call that that is commonly seen on the Mk. III's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top