Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2011 9:27:09 AM EDT
I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate forum for this or not but...
My brother in law passed this off to me a few months ago, to try and get some more info for him.  

The story is that his grandfather acquired this during WWII.  Not sure on the timeline of things, but he was in Britain, Germany and Italy.  He fought at Angio Beach and in The Battle of the Bulge.  So no one know's how, when, or where he picked this up.  

What I have figured out so far is that it is a Unique Model 10, the caliber is 6.35mm SFM (which I have heard is .25 ACP), serial number 935xx.  It looks to be all original.  I dunno if the holster is original or not.  It's a little roughed up as you can see in the pictures, but besides the fact the the striker appears broken, it looks like it would function (not that I'm even remotely attempted to try firing it, even if it the striker was intact...).  

So, can anyone tell me anything about this pistol or direct me to more info about it?  Also, would anyone know what the estimated value for something like this would be?

ETA:  I've heard that many of these have waffenamt stampings in them, I've just gotten done looking this one over once again and there are waffen stamps.  Not sure if that changes anything about it's origin...

Some of the things I found really interesting about this pistol was the bizarre take down method (twist barrel 1/4 turn to release), the fact that it locks back on the last shot (which I didn't think was all that common in pocket pistols, and that it has a magazine safety.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a fairly common Belgian or French pistol that would have been carried by German officers at the time. the Germans used a plethora of different pistols during WWII.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 5:36:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that info MG!

Anyone got anything else?
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The takedown method is not unique to Unique.  It is a straight rip-off from Browning's blowback designs for Colt and FN.  Compare it to a Colt M1908 Vest Pocket.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#4]
One final bump, just to see if anyone has any other info to add.

Any more info guys?  I still don't know much about this thing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Loose knock-off of a Colt 1908 vest pocket (different manual safety, no grip safety).  There were dozens of little shops pumping out these cheap pocket pistols in Spain, France, Belgium before WWII.  Most are nearly worthless.  That would have little collector value unless it is a war-bringback with some paperwork.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#6]
French made.  I am in the process of closing a deal on a similiar one,  I am selling a unique in 22 caliber with a rifle conversion that lets you shoot the pistol through a rifle attachment.  I would say your pistol alone would be around $250, with the holster maybe a little more.  If you do a search there is a small business that purchased all of the remaining inventory from Unique.  They have quite a few magazines for them as well, around $35 a piece.  I hope I helped you.
One more thing.  That 22 pistol shoots great!
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.

I can say without a doubt that this is a war bring back, but unfortunately there's no paperwork to prove it.

I think I had found that company you mentioned before, but I don't think they had a striker listed.  If I could find a reasonably priced striker it would be cool to make it functional again.

Well I will pass along what I have learned to the BIL.  Thanks everyone!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top