Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2011 8:08:09 AM EDT
I'm looking to purchase one or the other within the next few weeks.  Looking for a summer, true pocket, carry gun.

I'd really like to compare/contrast these two guns only.  Yes, I know 9mm is better.  Yes, Kahr and SIG make fine guns.  I'm looking to buy either the LCP or S&W Bodyguard for my specific purposes.  With that said, here are my initial observations (not having fired either gun):

LCP:  Look for serial # 371 or higher for post recall.  Lot's of good press for reliability.  Harder on the hand than the Bodyguard.  Slide does not stay open after last round.  

Bodyguard:  Look for serial # starting with EAF for later production and a few enhancements.  Initial quality issues, worked out now?  Slide does stay open after last round.  More comfortable to shoot (for many).  Has built in laser.  What if built in laser dies 3 years from now?  Will S&W warranty it forever?  

I like the overall package of the Bodyguard but am concerned with reliability and long term reliability of the built in laser.  I don't want to be in a position several years from now trying to sell the gun with a laser that won't work.  Personally, I like the fact that the laser on/off button is NOT integrated into the grip.  I can envision situations where you may want the gun drawn but don't want to telegraph it by having a red light bouncing around because you are gripping the gun.

Anyway, a lot of scattered info out there on these two.  Any thoughts?  
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Picked up a Bodyguard in Jan, I like it.  It shoots well and the laser can actually be removed from the frame if needed for repair or replacement.  I'm not sure what would "kill" it, you'll have to replace the batteries on occasion.  

As for the warranty, I'll have to go check my paperwork and see if the laser is covered by S&W or by Insight (the parent manufacturer).  I did manage to loose one of the laser activation buttons but S&W sent me 2 new ones immediately.  I don't know what I even did when I lost it.  I was finger fuckin it somehow and didn't see it come off.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had my LCP for a little while now and am happy with it. I looked at the Bodyguard, and while it has some more features than the Ruger, it was just too big for me for pocket carry. The LCP is about the smallest pistol I can get into the pocket of a pair of jeans. If your pocket carry plans center around baggier cargo pants/shorts the size difference may not matter. Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Love my Bodyguard 380 as I've said in some previous posts here.  My laser died when I first got it.  The laser comes out.  I took it out and mailed it in.  Kept the gun and continued to carry it and shoot it.  Replacement laser was mailed to me.  S&W and Insight are two well established companies, I don't think you will run into problems in the next few years in getting support for it.

I think the LCP also locks open on the last round.  The KelTec P3AT does not.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Love my Bodyguard 380 as I've said in some previous posts here.  My laser died when I first got it.  The laser comes out.  I took it out and mailed it in.  Kept the gun and continued to carry it and shoot it.  Replacement laser was mailed to me.  S&W and Insight are two well established companies, I don't think you will run into problems in the next few years in getting support for it.

I think the LCP also locks open on the last round.  The KelTec P3AT does not.

LCP does not lock open last round. HOWEVER, mine seems to like to lock open in the middle of a magazine. It seems like the slide is not heavy enough or the guide rod spring isn't strong enough to properly strip the next round and load it every time. This could be very bad in a situation involving an actual badguy. It even hangs up on stripping the first round virtually every time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#5]
When I had my LCP it was the perfect size for a pocket gun. I really wish I wouldnt have sold it now. It was a great summer carry gun. I was looking at the Bodyguard as a possible replacement for the LCP but it just was too large for pocket carry.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:22:22 AM EDT
[#6]
While, it is subjective to say whether or not a gun is too big for pocket carry, I would like to say that I only carry my bodyguard 380 in my front pocket.  I have definitely not found it to be too big for pocket carry.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top