Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#1]
On the 460 Rowland comment, if I were to use the 1911 I'd install a stiffer recoil spring and go +P or 45 Super. I wouldn't be comfortable with that kinda load beating it up, or the hassle of buying a conversion. If I were going to do a 460 conversion, it'd be with an XD. That would actually be an affordable option. That said, I'm not a fan of specialty rounds, and 10mm is about as special as I'd want to go.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#2]
After some thought, it occurred to me that the muzzle energy from a short .44 Magnum such as those I've been interested in (3-4" barrels) should compare favorably to the 10mm autos I'm interested in (4.5-6" barrels). With most loads, they are surprisingly close...close enough that the 10mm auto looks like the logical choice.

These charts from Ballistics by the Inch

Seems like the mighty .44 is effectively emasculated by these short tubes. As others have already said, the increased recoil, flash, and noise seems hardly worth it. Granted, the chart above is devoid of the heavyweight loads, but is more representative of what I'd actually be using.

A longslide 10mm seems like the way to go as the longer barrel and sight radius would be a plus in both velocity and sighting accuracy. An optic makes for a bulkier pistol and makes finding suitable holster a problem. I've found bandolier holsters to be ungainly. I'd much prefer using a standard, open-front holster and a more streamlined gun. Crunching numbers a Glock longslide conversion or EAA Witness Hunter would end up costing roughly the same.

ETA:
Thanks all for your input.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent analysis.  I used some of the same data points to make the G20SF with a 6" aftermarket barrel my choice.  Handloaded 200 grain WFNGC hard cast bullets traveling 1350+ fps with over 800 foot pounds of energy (X 15 rounds) will do the job on anything in the lower 48.  I previously carried a Taurus titanium 444multi 44mag revolver, but while it was light and pleasant to carry, the size of the frame and grip made it extremely difficult for me to shoot both well and fast.  FWIW, I own 2 Taurus revolvers (one for almost 25 years) and they have been well made and reliable firearms..... maybe I have been lucky.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#4]
For those who feel that the Glock's grip angle is wrong for them (as in not similar to a 1911's) I recently added a $25 Gripforce Adapter to my G20/21L because I bought a 1911 last March and find that now that I'm switching between 1911s and Glocks the different grip angle causes some 'relearning' time which I'd just as soon avoid.  The GFA goes on in 2 minutes and seems to work great.
Custom G20/21L with std grip and Hogue HandAll:

Custom G20/21L with Gripforce Adapter installed under my Hogue HandAll:

Note how the GFA eliminates the 'hump' in the Glock's grip by filling in the upper grip area making the Glock grip much more like my 1911's.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the GFA on my Glock.  So much so that I also put one on my custom G24.

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#5]
in my neck of the woods we get some large black bear but even they arent massive.
the 10mm will handle anything within florida..id even feel ok with a 45acp or 357 in florida.
im more worried about the hogs then the bears, I have been very close to florida black bears and they are pretty laid back.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the .45ACP but there is a bit of a rainbow trajectory past 50 yards and the energy retention at range isn't nearly as good.

I love the way a 1911 packs, but won't go the expense of a 10mm longslide. I'd be worried about long-term durability as well. The  round packages well in a double stack magazine, so that's another knock against the 1911. The widebodies are expensive and feel like bricks in the hand.

A Glock would be a lot lighter, but I've always been one to choose the gun that points and feels best, as those tend to be the one's I can shoot with proficiency. That grip adapter, while it does appear to correct the angle, makes an already ungainly grip worse. I have yet to check out a SF, but from what I've heard it's pretty similar in feel to a 17 or 22.

These are looking pretty sexy right meow:

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 5:21:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love the .45ACP but there is a bit of a rainbow trajectory past 50 yards and the energy retention at range isn't nearly as good.

I love the way a 1911 packs, but won't go the expense of a 10mm longslide. I'd be worried about long-term durability as well. The  round packages well in a double stack magazine, so that's another knock against the 1911. The widebodies are expensive and feel like bricks in the hand.

A Glock would be a lot lighter, but I've always been one to choose the gun that points and feels best, as those tend to be the one's I can shoot with proficiency. That grip adapter, while it does appear to correct the angle, makes an already ungainly grip worse. I have yet to check out a SF, but from what I've heard it's pretty similar in feel to a 17 or 22.

These are looking pretty sexy right meow:
http://hammerbackguns.com/images/600257.jp

You could always have a grip reduction on the Glock done in order to make it point and feel better to you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 6:13:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Out of the two choices, I would go with the G20; If the .44 mag revolver was a Smith (like a 629 with a 4" barrel), then I would go with a Smith.

This.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My 2 hunting/hiking/field sidearms are a 44 blackhawk 5 1/2in or G20. I tend to carry the G20 more often w/ 2 extra magazines. 45 rounds of hot loaded 10mm, is it excessive, probably, do I ever plan on using it, I hope the hell not. Of the 2 you offered up, I'd take the G20 hands down. I can't bash the taurus, never owned one. Never said I wouldn't own. I have just heard too many problems with them to make them a ass on the line gun. That is my concern with them.

I've seen more than a few Taurus revolvers (mostly the j-frame size) puke their guts out, and even some pretty major problems on some of their semi auto's.
The Taurus 1911's and compact conceal carry pieces always seemed to work well though. Never was around enough of the larger caliber revolvers to get a feel for them.

If OP would of said say a S&W 629 then I would of possibly recommended a .44. I've personally seen two Taurus revolvers that have had broken lockwork and their cylinders fall out.

I would go after the G20. The efficiency of something in a magnum caliber in a semi auto is awesome. Also the G20 is significantly lighter than most steel frame magnum revolvers.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Glock if you reload. .44 if you don't.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I've firmly decided on a 10mm auto. At this point it's down to Glock or Witness.

I've seen some Glock grip alterations, but haven't handled one. It's definitely an alternative.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Glock if you reload. .44 if you don't.

Pretty sure 10mm is still cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've firmly decided on a 10mm auto. At this point it's down to Glock or Witness.

I've seen some Glock grip alterations, but haven't handled one. It's definitely an alternative.

Of these 2, still take the Glock everyday and twice on every other day. Glock has a proven track record, EAA eh. Like taurus, never owned. They had trouble in the past, I think with their poly model. The Steels are better.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My 2 hunting/hiking/field sidearms are a 44 blackhawk 5 1/2in or G20. I tend to carry the G20 more often w/ 2 extra magazines. 45 rounds of hot loaded 10mm, is it excessive, probably, do I ever plan on using it, I hope the hell not. Of the 2 you offered up, I'd take the G20 hands down. I can't bash the taurus, never owned one. Never said I wouldn't own. I have just heard too many problems with them to make them a ass on the line gun. That is my concern with them.

I've seen more than a few Taurus revolvers (mostly the j-frame size) puke their guts out, and even some pretty major problems on some of their semi auto's.
The Taurus 1911's and compact conceal carry pieces always seemed to work well though. Never was around enough of the larger caliber revolvers to get a feel for them.

If OP would of said say a S&W 629 then I would of possibly recommended a .44. I've personally seen two Taurus revolvers that have had broken lockwork and their cylinders fall out.

I would go after the G20. The efficiency of something in a magnum caliber in a semi auto is awesome. Also the G20 is significantly lighter than most steel frame magnum revolvers.

LOL yup!!!!

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Bottom line, I'll have to go check out a 20SF and see if it gives me flashbacks of shooting a 17 back in 1998. Yes, it's been that long. I actually purchased a Ruger P89 over the Glock, as the ergonomics felt worlds better, as did the trigger, if you can believe that. My wife still has that pistol.

I admire Glocks greatly. They are built like utilitarian tools, more so than any other pistol. Love 'em or hate 'em, you've gotta admire that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Went out today and checked out a 20SF. The SF feels worlds better than the regular full size 20 and 21. Checked out a full-size .45ACP Witness, too. As expected, it was essentially an up-scaled CZ-75. Between the weight and size compared to the Glock I wasn't too impressed. The guy at the counter wasn't aware that they were made in 10mm. They have one for sale online, so that kinda surprised me. Thanks all for the input. The choice is most definitely Glock.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I voted 10mm.  Check out Underwood Ammo.  There 165 grain JHP comes out of a stock glock barrel @ 1400 fps.  One in the pipe and 15 in the mag.  Just...Fugging...Awesome.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Just my two cents, but I'd go with the Glock over any steel framed 10mm.  While I prefer a 1911, having shot several steel framed 10mms including a Bren, couple of Delta Elites and one CZ, I honestly feel the polymer framed Glock is much less punishing to shoot.  Even with heavy 10mm loads it's not bad and I've messed up both wrists.  You can always buy a Glock 21SF (or G30 if you decide you want compact) and drop in a KKM 45->10mm conversion barrel too.  I've got one and I've been very happy with it so far.  Another thing I'd recommend is that if you get the Glock relieve the area under the triggerguard- I finally got up the nerve to sand on mine and it made a world of difference in the way the gun felt in my hand.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Out of the two choices, I would go with the G20; If the .44 mag revolver was a Smith (like a 629 with a 4" barrel), then I would go with a Smith.

First post as always.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#20]
S&W 329 PD. My wife bought me one a few years ago for a Christmas/LT promotion present. I carry it everytime I go hunting. Shoots good and lightweight so you don't notice the weight when carrying it (much). Recoil is not as bad as you would expect, especially if you are a experienced 44 mag shooter.

Mine (it is now sporting the Hogue grips that it came with):

Apparently S&W is making an Alaskan Backpacker version that has a small barrel. Cool.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
S&W 329 PD. My wife bought me one a few years ago for a Christmas/LT promotion present. I carry it everytime I go hunting. Shoots good and lightweight so you don't notice the weight when carrying it (much). Recoil is not as bad as you would expect, especially if you are a experienced 44 mag shooter.

Mine (it is now sporting the Hogue grips that it came with):
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k185/jimkurtsey/P1000266.jpg

Apparently S&W is making an Alaskan Backpacker version that has a small barrel. Cool.

Wow, what a beautiful pistol. I don't know much about revolvers but I'm assuming the cylinder is made of a different kind of metal, hence the different color? Titanium maybe?
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Wow, what a beautiful pistol. I don't know much about revolvers but I'm assuming the cylinder is made of a different kind of metal, hence the different color? Titanium maybe?

Thanks. Scandium frame, titanium cylinder. S&W 329PD Specs.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top