Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2013 11:37:37 AM EDT
I have the opportunity to buy one for $1200 plus tax. It is a Desert Sand (or whatever they call it) so there's only 1000 of them made. I think I would play with it and eventually get a can for it. Good investment?

I can get an FNX 45 Tactical for way less ($900) which is a better value (RMR cut and suppressor sights) but as far as I know the FDE isn't a limited run.

I've shot the FN but not the HK. I feel the FN is an acceptable handgun but I'm not in love.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Apparently I just turned my HK45 into a "Tactical" model because I bought a threaded barrel for it and it was the HKPro group buy that already had the Meprolight sights. Only difference is mine is all black.

For $1200, that is a pretty good deal I think. The barrel cost me $295 and the sights are $100 if bought separately.

My can is on the waiting list. I got a full size TiRANT from Silencer Shop which happens to be just a few miles from my house.
I'll let you know in Oct how it works out. :)

It is an incredibly well built, solid .45.  You won't be disappointed.

ETA: SS let me put a TiRANT on my barrel and look at it before I bought it. The dot of the standard height sight is basically right at the very top edge of the can. You just look through the dot at your target just as if no can was there. I don't think suppressor height sights should be a high priority factor.

Link Posted: 6/22/2013 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not the cheapest option but that's a good price for a HK45 Tactical. I would rather have the HK45 over the FN personally.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go with the FNX-45 Tactical.

Mine is stupid accurate, and sounds so damn quiet with my 45 Osprey........and 15-rounds of .45 ACP is nothing to laugh about.

Think about it; you get a LOT for the $$$$ with the FNX-45 Tactical.

- Eagle Industries Soft Case
- Three 15-round mags
- Total of 4 different backstraps
- Ability to mount a Mini-Red Dot (I went with a Trijicon RMR)

I say go for the FNX-45T.......or do the proper thing, and get both.

Link Posted: 6/22/2013 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
That price on the HK is pretty good. Lower capacity aside, the HK is a better gun IMO and is the one I would go with. Either way you can't go wrong though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I went with FN mainly because of 15 rounds instead of the HK 10 round mags. Both are excellent though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I have both (sort of).

I have the FN USG & the H&K USP Tactical with a Yankee Hill can on the USP.

I give a huge edge to the FN with the capacity & a slight edge to the USP for accuracy, but VERY slight.

Both guns are 100% reliable & nuts-on accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to grab either one for SHTF.

The H&K would probably retain a better % towards resale value, if that matters to you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]
The FNX is a great gun, but has a few major issues if you plan on using it as anything other than a range-toy.

In short itemized listing:

Mags picky about FMJ ammo (may be resolved on FNX series) Any ammo slightly too long drags on the front of the mag and jams up everything.
Mag retention in gun is a very, very, tiny tab of metal.  If this wears even slightly, mags will not stay in gun.
Mags are hard to find and typically expensive.

Trigger pins walk out (has gotten better with FNX series blocking one of the trigger pins with the frame)
DA trigger pull is VERY heavy and VERY long.
DA trigger is too damn far away.  If women need to use this gun, they won't be able to reach to the DA pull.
Possible to sweep past safety and accidentally decock gun if carried in Condition 1 status.
Possible to sweep past safety and completely lock up fire control group if you "white knuckle" in a panic and ride the safety like a 1911.

Frame plastic is soft.  Have had tac lights dig up frame under normal clamping, gnaw up the picatinny rail, and twist right off the rail.
Frame texture is very rough polymids.  You need gloves if shooting for any extended period of time.
It's a fucking brick.
Backstrap retention, like magazine retention is flakey and weak.  Many people end up gluing their preferred backstrap in place.

Impossible to detail strip gun without destroying some parts of the fire control group.  Which makes absolutely no sense since FN likes to play up the longevity of the gun due to it's "replaceable frame rails".
History of ambi mag release failing
Spare parts are almost nonexistent
FN's customer service reputation has gone down the shitter.
There is an alarming number of these guns suffering catastrophic failures due to poor barrel design.  Some owners only lose their guns, some lose tissue.

outside of that it is an accurate, easy to shoot pussycat of a gun with great sights and awesome capacity.

I think you should also look at the Glock 21SF or Gen 4 Glock 21

Link Posted: 6/22/2013 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Both make a great host. I have heard the fn suppressed. Never the HK. I don't think you can go wrong. Obviously if you plan to use a red dot it's a no brainer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The FNX is a great gun, but has a few major issues if you plan on using it as anything other than a range-toy.

Mags picky about FMJ ammo (may be resolved on FNX series) Any ammo slightly too long drags on the front of the mag and jams up everything.
Mag retention in gun is a very, very, tiny tab of metal.  If this wears even slightly, mags will not stay in gun.

Trigger pins walk out (has gotten better with FNX series blocking one of the trigger pins with the frame)
DA trigger is too damn far away.  If women need to use this gun, they won't be able to reach to the DA pull.
Possible to sweep past safety and accidentally decock gun if carried in Condition 1 status.
Possible to sweep past safety and completely lock up fire control group if you "white knuckle" in a panic and ride the safety like a 1911.

Frame plastic is soft.  Have had tac lights dig up frame under normal clamping, gnaw up the picatinny rail, and twist right off the rail.
Frame texture is very rough polymids.  You need gloves if shooting for any extended period of time.
It's a fucking brick.
Backstrap retention, like magazine retention is flakey and weak.  Many people end up gluing their preferred backstrap in place.

Impossible to detail strip gun without destroying some parts of the fire control group.  Which makes absolutely no sense since FN likes to play up the longevity of the gun due to it's "replaceable frame rails".
There is an alarming number of these guns suffering catastrophic failures due to poor barrel design.  Some owners only lose their guns, some lose tissue.

outside of that it is an accurate, easy to shoot pussycat of a gun with great sights and awesome capacity.

The trigger pin walking, and ammo issues were fixed with the FNX-45.

The kB issue was fixed in the  FNX-45.

.........almost all of the issues you mention were actually fixed with the FNX-45.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a fucking brick.

The trigger pin walking, and ammo issues were fixed with the FNX-45.

The kB issue was fixed in the  FNX-45.

.........almost all of the issues you mention were actually fixed with the FNX-45.

Some of the issues were supposedly fixed with the FNX-45

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:24:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Hard decision as both are great guns.
In terms of ergonomics - H&K45T is a lot better so if You don't have hands big enough - H&K is Your gun.
In terms of reliability, accuracy and quality of production they are almost equal with slight advantage for the H&K.
However, in terms of "high capacity" (which is IMHO a mandatory factor for a handgun that is claimed to be "tactical") - the choice ultimately goes to FNX.
I'm so sorry to make such a statement as I'm "die hard" H&K fan but I really think that H&K should reconsider the introducing of a higher capacity mag for their (otherwise outstanding) H&K45T.

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Did some more reading on the FN and I'm turned off by the materials used and the lack of the ability to detail strip.

Just dry fired 3 HK45s and 2 of them had a false reset similar to the older production M&P guns. WTF? I really don't want to buy a G21 and have it modded.

Other .45s that can easily be threaded? I think the ability to add a reflex sight is something I'm looking for now but not an absolute deal breaker.

I suppose I could always get a threaded barrel for my TRP Operator.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Did some more reading on the FN and I'm turned off by the materials used and the lack of the ability to detail strip.

Just dry fired 3 HK45s and 2 of them had a false reset similar to the older production M&P guns. WTF? I really don't want to buy a G21 and have it modded.

Other .45s that can easily be threaded? I think the ability to add a reflex sight is something I'm looking for now but not an absolute deal breaker.

Sig P220

M&P 45 plus apex DCAEK and RAM

CZ-97

Emphasis on Sig.  Great gun to suppress. You can find them used for $550 give or take a few
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#14]
The false reset on the HK45 definitely gets better over time. I never have had a problem with mine. That said, I would recommend against the P220 and instead wait for the P227 that comes out this year. P227 will be P226 in .45 double stacked with 10rd and 14rd mags available. Make sure you get it in a SRT trigger.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Decent price on the HK and you seem to want it more than the FNX.  IMO, the HK is the way to go.

Good luck, keep us updated on your purchase.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Go for the 1911. I have one that runs like a top suppressed!!!! It's a custom build but the barrel is a storm lake.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the HK45 and its nice...no experience with the FN other than it feels like a cheese grater to me.  With that said, get a gen 4 G21 and don't look back.  I prefer it very much over my HK45...and for about half the price too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:28:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Probably the USP45 Tactical will be another good option for You as it comes with a threaded barrel, 12-round mag and (since You dislike the HK45 trigger) also with a Match trigger which is, IMHO, a lot better than the standard factory HK triggers.  It's my favorite range pistol and I can see only two possible disadvantages for You - the old-style rail (not Pic) and the bulk grip which requires big hands.

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 4:01:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Go with a USP Tactical 45 then.

Mine:

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 4:16:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go with a USP Tactical 45 then.

Mine:
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/Furyataurus/004-37_zps91b7ca7d.jpg

What he said.....

.....or buy a Glock 21 and have it modded like I did......

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I've got a new FNX-45 and a USP 9mm made in 2001. I like the FNX trigger a little better over the HK. Both are great at recoil & accuracy. There have been some issues with earlier FNs, since the FNX 45 is still relatively new only time will tell if it's as reliable as an HK. I will add that I've also read about a lot of issues with Kahr PM45s and Walther PPSs, both of mine have been 100% reliable for 1k rounds so far. I've read complaints about the grip size & texture of the FNX, neither bother me. The FNX grip still feels smaller in my hand than my CZ97B (which has a fantastic trigger but a long trigger reach in D/A mode) or my old G34 (which I traded in for the USP). FNX has few aftermarket goodies compared to an HK and FNX 45 mags just recently started popping up for sale (around $50).
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm leaning towards just getting a threaded barrel fitted to my TRP and G17 now. I don't want to pay $1300 for something I'm not in love with. But $400 to make my already enjoyable TRP and G17 even more enjoyable will be well worth the money.

The remaining funds will go towards the Octane45 HD and possibly a Ruger 22/45 Lite.

Win?
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm leaning towards just getting a threaded barrel fitted to my TRP and G17 now. I don't want to pay $1300 for something I'm not in love with. But $400 to make my already enjoyable TRP and G17 even more enjoyable will be well worth the money.

The remaining funds will go towards the Octane45 HD and possibly a Ruger 22/45 Lite.

Win?

Yep...wise plan.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Win?

Yep...wise plan.

Wise plan if you decide against the HK45.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top