Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2014 10:45:35 AM EDT
Outside of a carry piece or bear blaster, is the STI 2011 pattern the end all, be all?

I've been on a quest for the perfect pistol for years now. Have a Wilson Combat 1911, and it's close. Everything is perfect about it, besides capacity. Have a Para P14, but the grip is too big for me. I've only handled but never shot the 2011s. Grip feels good, and given their strong standing in competition I assume they're reliable.

Is there any drawback besides the price? Anything else I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#1]
SVI
or STI from numorous custom smiths.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Didn't even think about including SVI, really meant that particular platform in general.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
As pointe out the most reliable ones are guns that were gone through by a smith. When I sold STI's we had to send all of them back at one point or another(6-10 guns). Nothing major just some tuning/tweaking. After that however they usually run great.

My Edge is one of my favorite guns to shoot and I would like to pick up a tactical in 9mm for fun and steel.

Still to this day don't understand why we can't have a gun with those ergos and Glock reliabity.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends on how you define  " Ultimate ".

I want something that balances: reliability, durability, ergonomics and price.

SVI / 1911 type guns are only #1 on my #3 priority.

The Block is dead last on #3, so it isn't considered the ultimate either.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#5]
If the STI had the reliability of a Glock no one would need anything else.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

They (generally) don't then I take it?
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think any 1911 does. At least not without work. The beauty of the polymer Stryker guns is they love abuse.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#8]
They are reliable enough to be the top choice in USPSA by a considerable margin.

Drawbacks?  The magazine, shoehorned as it into what is ultimately a single stack design, can be problematic at times with niceties such as locking the slide back.  The cost of the mags themselves is also prohibitive, with STI mags going for about $60 and SVI nearly double that.

Another occasional issue with the plastic grip frame is that the sear spring slot can get stretched out over time, resulting in having a sear spring that won't quite reach as high as it needs to.  The more modern metal grips eliminate this problem, of course, but at the sacrifice of weight and cost.

Sometimes the grip frame screws can loosen up and cause maddening fire control problems since the trigger is sandwiched between the frame and grip, but easy fix: keep your screws tight.

I won't say they are the ultimate pistol design, but I would say they are a very worthwhile evolution of the 1911 and they are a blast to own and shoot.   They have pretty much ruined me for spending any more money on high-end single stack 1911s.

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would sort of agree with that list as well, except I may put accuracy before ergonomics and up to a certain point I don't factor price in when choosing a handgun.

Some of this becomes superfluous because most handguns I would consider are going to be more accurate than I am.  Reliability is definitely #1 and any gun I would consider would need to be as close to 100% as possible on this.  Durability agreed.  Ergonomics is the sticky point.  That is the one that isn't really measurable in a sense that everyone can agree on.  We can all agree that Glocks are reliable and the HKs are durable, but ergos, you will get different opinions.

I don't care for the ergonomics of 1911 pattern guns all that much, the SVI/STIs are no exception.  For me they are low on reliability and low on ergonomics. So definitely would not consider them the ultimate.

For me personally, if I could only have one handgun, I'd be okay with it being a Glock, SIG, or HK.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Ken makes some great points. I had several 1911's before I bought my first 2011... A STI Edge. I absolutly love the feel of the 2011 grip in my hand. It just fits my hands better than a regular 1911. I have had no problems with the gun itself. When I first bought the gun, I bough 4 extra mags...at around $60 each. 2 of the mags had the followers popping out of the tube. I took about 15 minutes and "tuned" the opening. They have been flawless ever since. I do feel that at $60+ per mag, they shouldn't need any tuning.... But the 2011 design is so nice, I guess its worth it.

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#12]
$60 per mag is cheap, wait until you get extended mags

STIs are like a fine racing machine requiring a ton of tuning and cleaning to run well.  In fairness, with the exception of very high end race Glocks, STIs are 4-10x the cost of a standard/lightly modified Glock.  I also would pick a Glock if I had to run it thru mud, dust, dirt, etc.

I recently converted from a G-35 to an Open STI.

Quoted:
Ken makes some great points. I had several 1911's before I bought my first 2011... A STI Edge. I absolutly love the feel of the 2011 grip in my hand. It just fits my hands better than a regular 1911. I have had no problems with the gun itself. When I first bought the gun, I bough 4 extra mags...at around $60 each. 2 of the mags had the followers popping out of the tube. I took about 15 minutes and "tuned" the opening. They have been flawless ever since. I do feel that at $60+ per mag, they shouldn't need any tuning.... But the 2011 design is so nice, I guess its worth it.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenmreitz/8860758148/" target="_blank">http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3734/8860758148_f45c295438_z.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I went to their website to check them out, and while Idon't care much about 10mm, I REALLY like the look of their perfect 10.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I have luster after that thing for years. I have no idea hat I would do with a long slide 10mm widebody but it is soooooo cool.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I've shot a friend's 2011 several times.  It is impressive to shoot.  50 yard shots are unfairly easy with it.  When it's clean and has healthy mags its reliable, but it doesn't like be dirty at all, and the mags do seem kind of fragile.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would sort of agree with that list as well, except I may put accuracy before ergonomics and up to a certain point I don't factor price in when choosing a handgun.

Some of this becomes superfluous because most handguns I would consider are going to be more accurate than I am.  Reliability is definitely #1 and any gun I would consider would need to be as close to 100% as possible on this.  Durability agreed.  Ergonomics is the sticky point.  That is the one that isn't really measurable in a sense that everyone can agree on.  We can all agree that Glocks are reliable and the HKs are durable, but ergos, you will get different opinions.

I don't care for the ergonomics of 1911 pattern guns all that much, the SVI/STIs are no exception.  For me they are low on reliability and low on ergonomics. So definitely would not consider them the ultimate.

For me personally, if I could only have one handgun, I'd be okay with it being a Glock, SIG, or HK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ergonomics is a wide open category.
I carry HKs with the LEM trigger, others despise it. Even I would prefer something better in DAO.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

53vortec

The SVI and other 1911s can actually run nearly as good as Glocks,HKs,etc,,,,, as Todd Green has proven with his ongoing 90,000 round Springer torture test.
He's on round 64,579 with 15 stoppages 0 malfunctions 5 parts breakages
That's nearly as good as his Glock 17, HK P30 and S&W M&P tests at this point.

The problem is that the Springfield ran like shit for the first 10,000 until he had enough rounds through it to sort it all out.

His test really shows the truth why high-volume shooters love the 1911 and people who shoot less often swear at the 1911.

You can read all 31 of his blog posts on it here:
http://pistol-training.com/archives/8839

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#17]
My little STI Elektra .45acp has been 100% reliable, granted it's not a competition gun shooting thousands of rounds per year but for a non competitor it's been 100% reliable and extremely accurate.  I've thought about adding a 10mm to our collection for awhile and I already have a G21, which I love,  so I could just buy a G20 complete slide but Glock ergonomics are pretty bad and I'm not convinced I want a harder recoiling caliber on that uncomfortable grip.  So, I thought the Colt Delta Elite would be the answer.  They are excellent guns but you trade much better ergonomics for much lower capacity.  Then I discover the STI Perfect Ten!! What a beautiful gun! I've already discovered how reliable and incredibly accurate STI guns are from shooting my Elektra so, to me, it seems to be the closest thing to the perfect gun or at least the perfect 1911 style gun commercially made.

Now it's just a matter of affording one, finding one and buying one...after that it's gravy
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:05:07 AM EDT
[#18]
My edge has gone over 1000 rounds with cleaning or adding oil, works well enough for me. My open 9mm major needs cleaning at the 600 round mark or I get empty chamber with rounds in the magazine.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:06:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Ultimate race gun, maybe

Which means I have no use for one
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#20]
http://www.gunblast.com/Sphinx.htm
http://www.practicalhandgun.com/the-suisse-sphinx-3000-service-pistol.html
http://www.guns.com/review/2012/04/09/gun-review-sphinx-3000-40-saw/

Wouldn't trade mine for any 2011, and I've shot both STI and SVI (and P210, X-Series,...)
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wouldn't trade mine for any 2011, and I've shot both STI and SVI (and P210, X-Series,...)
View Quote

Do they even sell these in the US?
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Been a while since I've seen a full size in the states.

Not to compare the two, but in the same spirit I've looked at the KAR K2. Just not sure I want a Turkish gun, and I haven't been able to put my hands on one to see how the fit is.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

You Glock fanboys are insufferable. There are PLENTY of guns just as reliable as Glocks, and Glocks aren't the end all ultimate works every time gun. Hell, Sigs and Berettas probably have better reliability numbers than Glock, but you never see anyone pimping them as hard as the Glock guys push their preferred brand.

Before you hit send on an angry reply, please add a link documenting Glock's supposedly superior reliability.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You Glock fanboys are insufferable. There are PLENTY of guns just as reliable as Glocks, and Glocks aren't the end all ultimate works every time gun. Hell, Sigs and Berettas probably have better reliability numbers than Glock, but you never see anyone pimping them as hard as the Glock guys push their preferred brand.

Before you hit send on an angry reply, please add a link documenting Glock's supposedly superior reliability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not claim that Glock is more reliable than Sig or Beretta--though with the life expectancy of a Beretta trigger return spring is 2500 rounds, the locking block lasts 20,000 and the Sig parts replacement schedule is as follows:

Barrel: If the pistol exhibits keyholing or unacceptable accuracy.
Decocking lever spring: 10,000
Extractor: 20,000
Extractor spring: 20,000
Firing pin: 20,000
Firing pin spring: 20,000
Magazine spring: When magazine fails to lock the slide open. *
Recoil spring: 5,000 †
Roll pins for breechblock retention (pins, HD): 5000
Safety lock spring: 20,000
Slide catch lever spring: 10,000
Takedown lever: 20,000
Trigger bar spring: 10,000

Glock recommends replacing the RSA at 3-5,000, and doesn't require that this be done as depot level maintenance. By some accounts a lot of the smaller Glock springs should be replaced every 10,000 rounds.

I'll take a Glock.

By the way, I'm probably in the small minority of posters here who owns 1911, 2011 and Glock handguns simultaneously. The 1911 requires a lot of care and the the 2011 even more so. I will go so far as to say that the 1911 isn't appropriate for agency or organizational use, and the 2011 should be restricted to gun games.

For what it is worth, a former operations chief at Gunsite once told us that the only pistol that went into the gunsmithy more often for repairs than a 1911 was the M9.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I know its not "simple" but I wish that some maker of double stack 1911's would simply design a frame that would take a common inexpensive and reliable existing 9mm magazine, like a M&P mag, or a Sig 226 mag.  Something metal, with 17 or 18 round capacity with room to grow.......

If someone pulled that off and offered a good double stack 9mm 1911 I think they'd do very well even at a higher price point.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I know its not "simple" but I wish that some maker of double stack 1911's would simply design a frame that would take a common inexpensive and reliable existing 9mm magazine, like a M&P mag, or a Sig 226 mag.  Something metal, with 17 or 18 round capacity with room to grow.......

If someone pulled that off and offered a good double stack 9mm 1911 I think they'd do very well even at a higher price point.
View Quote

Wouldn't they have to change the grip angle to do that?  Though I agree with your sentiment.  I think the downside to any double stack 1911 would be finding mags.  I know a couple companies make them, or they all built around a similar mag, or are they all proprietary?
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I did not claim that Glock is more reliable than Sig or Beretta--though with the life expectancy of a Beretta trigger return spring is 2500 rounds, the locking block lasts 20,000 and the Sig parts replacement schedule is as follows:

Glock recommends replacing the RSA at 3-5,000, and doesn't require that this be done as depot level maintenance. By some accounts a lot of the smaller Glock springs should be replaced every 10,000 rounds.

I'll take a Glock.

By the way, I'm probably in the small minority of posters here who owns 1911, 2011 and Glock handguns simultaneously. The 1911 requires a lot of care and the the 2011 even more so. I will go so far as to say that the 1911 isn't appropriate for agency or organizational use, and the 2011 should be restricted to gun games.

For what it is worth, a former operations chief at Gunsite once told us that the only pistol that went into the gunsmithy more often for repairs than a 1911 was the M9.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take a Glock.

I've never actually said it before now but I think now is the appropriate time,..."oh snap."
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Wouldn't they have to change the grip angle to do that?  Though I agree with your sentiment.  I think the downside to any double stack 1911 would be finding mags.  I know a couple companies make them, or they all built around a similar mag, or are they all proprietary?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem has always been that the 1911 slide is essentially built to pick up rounds from a single stack magazine.  It just isn't wide enough to accomodate a full width true double stack mag at the top of the frame.   The Para, Caspian and STI designs all present a single round at the top and then swell out a bit further down.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The problem has always been that the 1911 slide is essentially built to pick up rounds from a single stack magazine.  It just isn't wide enough to accomodate a full width true double stack mag at the top of the frame.   The Para, Caspian and STI designs all present a single round at the top and then swell out a bit further down.
View Quote

You mean like almost every other pistol?
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The STI mags are a bit like the top of a single stack mag welded to the top of a double stack mag.  I'm not Virgil Tripp or Steve Nastoff, but I can imagine that the width of the magwell area under the slide combined with the positioning of the slide stop limits how wide a magazine can be in that design.

Link Posted: 2/7/2014 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

C_J a Glock fanboy?

Just when I thought I'd seen it all.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#32]
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8821-Why-the-P30/page2

If I could afford 2 STI's I'd have an Eagle 40 for IDPA and the gun in the link. That would be MY ideal.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'll take a Glock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll take a Glock.

"a 1911" is a bit of a blanket statement; theres 1911s and then theres 1911s. Most all the M1911A1 service pistols I have been associated with were extremely reliable (in the scope of .mil use i.e. ball ammo). Newer trying-to-be-a semi-custom-shop guns like most companies are putting out dont seem terribly reliable. Too tight probably.

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Too tight probably.  
View Quote

Does this really have any truth to it? The most reliable 1911's and 2011's I have experienced are all customs that are significantly tighter than the GI guns.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Does this really have any truth to it? The most reliable 1911's and 2011's I have experienced are all customs that are significantly tighter than the GI guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too tight probably.  

Kalashnikov and Simonov settled the tight vs loose debate long ago.

The reason those 1911s you shot were more reliable is because they were carefully blueprinted.

Throw that tight 1911 and a GI spec one in some fine beach sand and you'll need a rubber mallet to get the tight one to cycle while the GI 1911 runs normally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top