Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2014 6:10:59 PM EDT
Let me first start off by saying that I'm a 9mm guy and the only reason I own a .45 ACP is because it suppresses well.

However, I have a trade opportunity for a S&W500 with the 8 and whatever " barrel it comes with. Besides showing off to your friends how big of a gun you have, what other roles can this revolver fill for a city boy who never shoots anything but paper or steel?

I would get it purely to satisfy my curiousty and then probably sell it. What's the used market on these things like? I see they're just north of a grand new.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Let me first start off by saying that I'm a 9mm guy and the only reason I own a .45 ACP is because it suppresses well.

However, I have a trade opportunity for a S&W500 with the 8 and whatever " barrel it comes with. Besides showing off to your friends how big of a gun you have, what other roles can this revolver fill for a city boy who never shoots anything but paper or steel?

I would get it purely to satisfy my curiousty and then probably sell it. What's the used market on these things like? I see they're just north of a grand new.
View Quote

I have known a couple people who have owned them, and this is exactly what happened.  Got it because it oozes cool, then realized it is not practical or that much fun to shoot, especially because of the price of ammo.  I don't know what the used market is, but if I wanted a big revolver I would get a .44 mag.  At least with that you can shoot .44 special, which makes it a little bit more practical and versatile.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#2]
These sell extremely SLOW on the used market. Their novelty has worn off & most folks are put off by the $2 per rd ammo cost.

Now, if one reloads & downloads to a .500spl load, then they might be pleasurable to shoot for more than one cylinder, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These sell extremely SLOW on the used market. Their novelty has worn off & most folks are put off by the $2 per rd ammo cost.

Now, if one reloads & downloads to a .500spl load, then they might be pleasurable to shoot for more than one cylinder, IMO.

My .o2
View Quote

This.  It will end up being a niche caliber.
ETA   I would not shoot a full power load at an indoor range
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Stuff a case full of Trailboss behind a 350 grain bullet and it's a pussycat.  Stuff a case full of H-110 behind a 700 grain hardcast wide-flat point and it's downright painful.  For any volume shooting, reloading is the only way to go.  I'd imagine there's plenty of used ones out there with less than a 20 round box of ammo through them..

Mine

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#5]
It's one of those guns you shoot once and then put away and hardly ever shoot again. You may break it out for a range trip with friends every once in a while. I'd probably only shoot the thing once a year or so. Everyone seems to much prefer the 44 magnum though, it's still plenty powerful and it's much more enjoyable to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Play if you must but it seems like you could pick up a couple of nice older S&W revolvers for pretty much the same money. and have lots more fun with them.

If you must go the giant killer route the 460 is much more flexable
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless you reload and cast your own bullets or you are rich, forget about it
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#8]
It's the desert eagle of revolvers

There are legit uses for it, but there are more flexible guns that cover the 500's niche.  Even the .460 would cover a wider envelope.

But it is badass

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:46:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an Encore rifle and handgun in 500; if it weren't for IN's screwy deer hunting regs I likely wouldn't. They aren't too bad to shoot but in a wheel gun - I'm sure you know you fired it. Definitely want to be a reloader if yu are going to have one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:08:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Play if you must but it seems like you could pick up a couple of nice older S&W revolvers for pretty much the same money. and have lots more fun with them.

View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 5:08:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could have saved yourself the trouble.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 5:14:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://picload.org/image/licgrpr/image.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's completely off topic.  This is about the S&W 500.  And you don't know what commercial or reloaded ammo is readily available to OP.  There is a silencer forum here for that topic though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn't say that. Other than being able to take .45 Schofield, .45 Colt, 454 Casull, or 460 S&W, there really isn't much going for them. If you do reload you will find that a "regular" .452 bullet won't work too well in either .454 or .460. Most .452 bullets have really thin jackets. A really thick jacket is needed to contain the pressures of the .454 or .460. The top strap and forcing cone are the areas of most concern for erosion when using thin jacketed bullets. Luckily for me, I happened upon 500, Hornady 300 grain  bullets (Mag XTP) for my .460 that should keep me in bullets for a while. Powder is a different story......
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Stuff a case full of Trailboss behind a 350 grain bullet and it's a pussycat.  Stuff a case full of H-110 behind a 700 grain hardcast wide-flat point and it's downright painful.  For any volume shooting, reloading is the only way to go.  I'd imagine there's plenty of used ones out there with less than a 20 round box of ammo through them..

Mine
<a href="http://s170.photobucket.com/user/SaturationTech/media/500Mag-5_zps7891b849.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u247/SaturationTech/500Mag-5_zps7891b849.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s170.photobucket.com/user/SaturationTech/media/500Mag-6_zps845961fb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u247/SaturationTech/500Mag-6_zps845961fb.jpg</a>
View Quote

I've never shot a 500; is the second ring up front necessary to stabilize the scope?
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me where to buy subsonic 9mm ammo over the shelf at the same prices of 115gr 9mm. Standard .45 ACP costs the same as subsonic 9mm for the most part and is much more readily available.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#16]

I've never shot a 500; is the second ring up front necessary to stabilize the scope?
View Quote

On a pistol like that the more scope rings the better. It keeps the scope body from flexing. Now it does not have time to flex much but it does keep the lens from falling out in the long run (if you shoot that much).
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Tell me where to buy subsonic 9mm ammo over the shelf at the same prices of 115gr 9mm. Standard .45 ACP costs the same as subsonic 9mm for the most part and is much more readily available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you even bothered looking? And even if it's not as cheap as 115 gr, still generally cheaper than .45 and suppresses better, which was your original claim.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#18]
the S&W 500 is like the cabinet full of leverguns I used to have. They were cool to look at and say "I have one of those", but past that they served no purpose to me and since I don't reload the cost of factory ammo meant they stayed in the cabinet 99%of the time. I'm currently working on selling most of them and only keeping a few of the ones I can't get myself to part with.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
On a pistol like that the more scope rings the better. It keeps the scope body from flexing. Now it does not have time to flex much but it does keep the lens from falling out in the long run (if you shoot that much).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep, put a Vortex Crossfire on mine with 4 rings - it died. Put the Redfield Revolution that was on it back on it and it still is running strong. (I would recommend going with a higher end Vortex, but I wanted to see how it was). The fact that the Redfield has held up makes it one of the reasons it is one of my more recommended low end scopes. The 500 has a reputation of being hard on scopes (go over to SpecialtyPistols and do a search on the topic)

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Have you even bothered looking? And even if it's not as cheap as 115 gr, still generally cheaper than .45 and suppresses better, which was your original claim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read my post again.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bro,

You are in the wrong thread for silencers.  Nobody cares what you think or what the OP thinks.  We are talking about loud guns.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I reload for mine and deer hunt with it. My cousin shot two deer with it in a special DE handgun hunt and went and bought his own. I offer poeple at the range to shoot it, they usually decline.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:23:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I have several .500s, a 4" a 5" JRS and a 6 1/2" PC Hunter. I do not have the 8" and don't care for it. I reload and shoot fairly mild loads most of the time. The recoil is pretty mild, it is still more effective than a .44 or .45, and my orthopedist doesn't have to be on speed-dial.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:19:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I had the 8" .500 but sold it off, didn't like the balance. I have the 6.5" .500 that has a look similar to a traditional Model 29 barrel profile. It balances well and recoils about the same as the 8". I also have the 5" ported barrel model in .460. The .460 is much more versatile and down right a pleasure to shoot with .454 factory loads. I just shoot at the 100 yard gong mostly as I don't hunt any more. To me they are fun guns that are only occasionally used, truly a range toy. I pick up a box or two of ammo for each every so often. My range sessions usually shoot up maybe one box each. So I most always have plenty around if I get the bug to shoot one. If you have a place to shoot and can easily afford such a toy then go for it. You may find it enjoyable and challenging enough to keep the gun around for a while.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#25]
OP, I shot the S&W.460, the 500's lil' brother. It's intended use was for a family Alaskan Denali Park trip and my friends father who is a serious outdoorsman took it with them in the unfortunate chance a brown bear wanted to eat them... I put a cylinder thru it with the nearly 2000 fps XTP loadings. It wasn't all that bad of a recoil but it certainly was not something I'm going to put 2K rounds thru a year like all my other pistols get. It's use is for what I outlined above or for pure novelty and/or long range target shooting with a pistol. Will I own a .460 or 500, not unless I'm going into brown bear country with my family and want to keep a firearm concealed; as my friend did. I'd rather have a .45Long Colt double action pistol that I can either load plinker stuff for target shooting or the really hot hard cast stuff for animals I'm more accustomed to run into up and down the eastern seaboard. Truth be told I'd even more rather have a Glock20sf in 10mm or better yet, for S&W to get off it's ass and produce a 10mm in the M&P platform...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top