Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2014 12:53:38 PM EDT
So, about a year ago when I purchased my P227, my buddy was talking about getting an FNX-45 (which he later purchased). Since then we've never had both guns in the same place at the same time. Today, we were both actually able to get to the range and try out the other gun (he tried my P227, while I tried his FNX-45). I ended up only putting about 10 rounds through his FNX, and he put 10 through my P227. The groups that we both shot with the opposite gun were very close to what we were shooting with our own guns. I will say that the FNX does shoot very well, but to me, it was not as comfortable as my P227. The one thing I will note here is after about 150-200 rounds, the takedown lever of the FNX actually got incredibly hot..to the point that you actually needed to change your grip to not index your support hand thumb in that area. The grip on the FNX seemed blocky to me, the grip however was very aggressive, almost too aggressive. If I had been wearing gloves, both of these two issues would have been negated.

Size wise, the two guns actually are VERY close. Here are a few comparison pics. (note: about half way through the pics I changed out my stock barrel to the threaded barrel for a closer comparison. The FNX did not come with the threaded barrel, my friend traded his stock one for the threaded version. The FNX also is using the 15rd extended mags in the photos. I haven't received my P227 extended mags to compare them)

Both pistols are great choices when it comes to a double-stack .45ACP.

The FNX wins in the capacity battle as the "extended mags" do not extend all that far passed the grip and offer 15 rounds versus 10 with the flush fit P227 mags and 14 with the extended.

The P227 wins in terms of after market support and accessories. It took my friend a few months to track down the threaded barrel for his FNX, mine is just a P220 threaded barrel. Also the ability to use P250 45ACP mags and almost all P220 slides gives the P227 a distinct advantage. Not to mention the ability to use a P-SPIT from Gray Guns *cheap plug*

I'd give the nod to the P227 in terms of grip and ergonomics. While the FNX does offer a decocker as well as completely ambidextrous controls, I found the FNX decocker/ safety to not exactly be easy to manipulate (vs a Sig decocker) that could be just a training issue. The P227 will be offering additional grips, which is something that the FNX will not be able to do.

Perceived recoil, I'll give this one to the FNX, but the recoil difference wasn't exactly significant.

Thickness: The FNX slide was much thicker than the P227s, but seeing as these are full sized "combat" pistols which would more likely be carried OWB or in a drop-leg holster, I think that information doesn't really matter all that much.

Weight: According to their official websites the FNX-45 comes in at 33.2oz empty (with mag) and the P227 comes in at 32.0oz empty (with mag)

If you're considering either of these, my advice is to go out and shoot them. You really can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the comparison.
Cant wait to see a 227 Tacops in person, I'm sure that will give the FNX 45 tactical even more of a run for the money.
Of course next year I hope to see a 227 Dark Elite.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I have considered purchasing both of these. Also the HK45. I shot the HK but couldnt decide if I needed to ride the safety or not. A few times when I did, I came close to de-cocking it. Great shooter though.

I have a 226 and love it so it is likely very similar to the 227. Would like to shoot the FN to see if it works for me.  

Nice write up.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 5:00:48 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the comparison
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Question to OP.   So p250 45 mags work in the 227.   Have never heard this.   I must check this out.   Can u get us a pic of both the 250 mag and 227 mag side by side?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You really can't go wrong with either.
View Quote

In my personal experience the FN wins the most important category: accuracy! In fact, it's not even close.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Question to OP.   So p250 45 mags work in the 227.   Have never heard this.   I must check this out.   Can u get us a pic of both the 250 mag and 227 mag side by side?
View Quote

Forward to about 14:15 in this video. Looks like just a couple minutes and a belt or disc sander if you can find a better deal on P250 mags.

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#7]
P227 was going to be my next purchase, but the wife liked my P938 so much, I bought her one yesterday for CC.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The mag bodies and followers are exactly the same, the only difference is the baseplate. The P250 mags have the "tabs" on the baseplates that need to be either cut flush or trimmed down slightly.

Here is a pic of a P250 mag (modified) in my P227

And here is where I cut the tabs off:

You can also trim them slightly to fit as I did here. The modified is on the left, and the stock on the right
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top