Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2016 2:26:26 AM EDT
Hey guys, I am strongly considering buying a CZ-75 SP-01 as my first gun. I am holding out until I find a P226 to shoot as I have heard very good things about that gun.

For my personal needs, what would be a more appropriate model. The manual safety or decocker version?

The gun will be in a safe for home defense and as a range gun.

From what I understand if I buy the safety version this gun is essentially a SA gun that functions like a 1911 but has the option of being in DA if I were to manually hand-decock it, correct?

Regarding the decocker version, I have to manually press the decocker on each mag reload in order to have the first shot be in DA, right?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:51:02 AM EDT
[#1]
The decock position is kind of a midway pull between da/ and sa/. i have the sp01 tactical and prefer this over thumb safety.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a SP01 Tactical and really like the decocker.  I can load it, decock it and I'm good to go.  The only gun I like with a safety is a 1911, otherwise, decocker or no safety is my preference.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I much prefer the safety models. Been a 1911 guy since the 70's.
Cocked and locked for me.My CZ's feel better in my hand than my 1911 does.

Get one, whatever your choice.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#4]
The decocker version.  In a HD situation you don't want to be having to "remember" to disengage the safety.  The decocker is a heavier first pull then the rest is in single action.  You have to be "aggressive" with it to pull in order to fire the gun.  I like the da/sa in all my sd/HD guns.  Also if you're going to try a 226, I would make sure it has the srt (short reset trigger).  Lastly if you like a 226 which I prefer over the CZ SP 01, I would get the legion.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#5]
75-D PCR here. The de-cocker is a great option and you can also pull the hammer back to go DA after it's de-cocked
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:12:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Bump. Still not sure what to go with. I now understand how the decocker works. Just not sure if I want to keep my gun in the safe cocked and locked or 'half cocked' with the decocker. From what I understand you can't fully decock this gun with the decocker into full DA.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I love CZ's but one thing I found was when shooting thumbs toward like I do the decocker digs into my thumb.  Not an issue when riding the safety.  And no the decock doesn't drop the hammer all the way. All CZ's run from half cock unless you thumb thee hammer all the way down.  Not an issue but different for some.   You could look at the P09.  Similar size to the SP01 and you can change the safety/decock levers to what you decide you like.  David
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bump. Still not sure what to go with. I now understand how the decocker works. Just not sure if I want to keep my gun in the safe cocked and locked or 'half cocked' with the decocker. From what I understand you can't fully decock this gun with the decocker into full DA.
View Quote

I've got a PCR; not a fan of manual safeties on my carry guns.  It lives its life on half-cock. You could thumb the hammer down if you really wanted the "full" double action pull.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Go with the decocker.  Anytime you want the hammer down, hit the decocker.  

Unless you have really long thumbs, the safeties on a CZ75 are hard to reach.  Manually decocking is an idiotic thing to do.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#10]
No one can make that decision for you.  It all comes down to whether you want a gun where the hammer would be down on the first shot or a gun that you have to sweep the safety off for a first shot.  It won't make too much of a difference since it won't be a carry gun, if you want a gun that behaves like a traditional DA/SA I would highly recommend the BD version.

Something goes bump in the night and you have adrenaline flowing, trying to manual lower the hammer and having the hammer cocked with no safety are both things I would recommend against.

Also, food for though: The gun you claim to want down the road, the Sig P226, mostly comes in DA/SA form.  They make SAO version, but DA/SA are the traditional firing system for the Sigs, just like a BD model of CZ (though the decockers are in different places.)
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Unless you have really long thumbs, the safeties on a CZ75 are hard to reach.  Manually decocking is an idiotic thing to do.
View Quote

I have only had one CZ that had a safety, a cz75 compact.  

Maybe it is just because I was used to a 1911 safety, but I wasn't a huge fan of it.  Where as with the 1911 you had the very positive "click" off I guess you could say, the cz safety almost feel like it "slides" off.  

I have no doubt in my mind it is safe and all that, I just wasn't a huge fan of it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I would go decocker.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I would go decocker, myself.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would go decocker.
View Quote

Same here.  I have a CZ P-01 w/ the decocker and a Sig P239 and much prefer the Sig decocker and trigger.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Thread drift***  Why all the recommendations for the decocker?  This is an AR forum and they all have safeties.  Under stress what is the difference in flipping the CZ on safe or the AR safety?  Not understanding the love for the decocker/ fear of the saferty.  Shooting a half cocked PO1 is nowhere near as nice as any single action CZ pull.  The CZ decocker is nowhere near as smooth as other decocking levers.  Is someone so stressed out that they can't remember to manipulate the safety lever going to work the stiff CZ decocker any better.   OP go safety lever Woooh.    David
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I think decocker is better.  I have a 75b with the safety right now.  Ordinarily I would prefer the safety since you can manually drop the hammer pretty easily, but the safety engages and disengages pretty easily with what I would consider little movement.  As such, I'm not comfortable with it cocked and locked.  The only time I use the safety is if I'm running from one spot to another in an action shooting match.  Otherwise, I keep it hammer  down, safety off.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would go decocker.
View Quote

I have 2 CZ's and I went decocker with both.  One is the SP-01. The triggers are just as easy to work on after you figure them out and they both turned out really nice.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#19]
The decocker and DA first pull makes it as safe as a loaded DA revolver.  A pretty hefty pull on the first shot.

But the second shot is much lighter.  When I haven't shot my P01 for a while it usually surprises me with the easy pull.  Could be a problem if you shoot badguy a second time or shoot before ready and your round goes astray.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The decock position is kind of a midway pull between da/ and sa/. i have the sp01 tactical and prefer this over thumb safety.
View Quote

This! I don't like safeties on a carry piece. My P-01 is the best pistol I've carried yet to date. I like the decocker instead of a safety. An M&P40c was my last carry piece for 5 years and a G27 for 5 years before that. The P-01 beats them both in balance, carry, ergonomics, capacity, and so far, reliability as well...
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure you can, carefully, very carefully... But I don't like the hammer all the way down atop the firing pin so I never do it that way. I like having the hammer in the half cocked position on a loaded chamber. The pull in this mode is only a little harder to pull the trigger than in the full single action mode.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I own 4 CZ's only 1 doesn't have the decocker. While functionally there is nothing wrong with the one safety gun (it was one of the Duty P07's that only came with a safety, I can/probably will change it eventually) the decocker is far and away a more user friendly weapon.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thread drift***  Why all the recommendations for the decocker?  This is an AR forum and they all have safeties.  Under stress what is the difference in flipping the CZ on safe or the AR safety?  Not understanding the love for the decocker/ fear of the saferty.  Shooting a half cocked PO1 is nowhere near as nice as any single action CZ pull.  The CZ decocker is nowhere near as smooth as other decocking levers.  Is someone so stressed out that they can't remember to manipulate the safety lever going to work the stiff CZ decocker any better.   OP go safety lever Woooh.    David
View Quote

The AR-15/M16 has to have a safety because it is carried slung across the back or shoulder. Other gear or the transition from slung to into your hands or thru brush could cause a little problem... A pistol rides inside a holster. It's a different carry method and can be safely carried sans any kind of safety...
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I am strongly considering buying a CZ-75 SP-01 as my first gun. I am holding out until I find a P226 to shoot as I have heard very good things about that gun.

For my personal needs, what would be a more appropriate model. The manual safety or decocker version?

The gun will be in a safe for home defense and as a range gun.

From what I understand if I buy the safety version this gun is essentially a SA gun that functions like a 1911 but has the option of being in DA if I were to manually hand-decock it, correct?

Regarding the decocker version, I have to manually press the decocker on each mag reload in order to have the first shot be in DA, right?

Thanks for the help.
View Quote

So it depends on your level of comfort.  I think most automatic reactions would be to recommend the decocker version because it doesn't require you to learn how to manually lower the hammer; something that CAN be unsafe.  

But I grew up in an era where learning to lower hammers was an integral part of learning how to safely handle firearms.  We had rifles, shotguns, and pistols with hammers that needed to be lowered from time to time, so you just learned how to do it and off you went.  

I'll be 50 tomorrow, ya wanna know how many times I've had a hammer slip from my grasp since I learned how to lower a hammer?  Not once!!!
So anyone who will say that it's not a safe thing to do, I will say it's not safe FOR THEM, but it can be a perfectly safe thing to do if you're dedicated to learning it right.

I'm planning on replacing my LW Commander daily carry gun with a CZ P-01 now that it's available without a decocker.   I like the condition 1 carry option, and I'm obviously comfortable lowering a hammer.  

But if you're not going to put in the time to learn to lower a hammer safely EVERY LAST TIME, then just get the de-cocker model.  

As for the CZ vs the Sig.  I personally would take the CZ every day of the week.  I'm a gunsmith so I have to fix them when they go wrong, and I'd rather work on a CZ every day of the week.  The Sig is a great pistol, very accurate and reliable. But the CZ is more robust, will last much longer and take more abuse, and if anything does go wrong, it's much easier to fix.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Nvm already covered.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 12:06:01 AM EDT
[#26]
OP:  get the safety version and learn to shoot WITH your thumb on the safety.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm sorry, but if you can't manually decock a pistol, maybe you should stick with DAO or striker-fired pistols.  Pistols have been manually decocked for years; does a decocker help? Sure, but it's a safety device for those not comfortable training with manually decocking a pistol.  Some say it's a safety measure under stressful conditions, but that is a training issue, not a safety issue.  To say manually decocking a pistol is idiotic is just simply idiotic.  If fact, most handguns, including modern revolvers, safety/transfer bars offer additional safety measures when lowering the hammer manually (as long as you keep your finger off the trigger after releasing the hammer).  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm sorry, but if you can't manually decock a pistol, maybe you should stick with DAO or striker-fired pistols.  Pistols have been manually decocked for years; does a decocker help? Sure, but it's a safety device for those not comfortable training with manually decocking a pistol.  Some say it's a safety measure under stressful conditions, but that is a training issue, not a safety issue.  To say manually decocking a pistol is idiotic is just simply idiotic.  If fact, most handguns, including modern revolvers, safety/transfer bars offer additional safety measures when lowering the hammer manually (as long as you keep your finger off the trigger after releasing the hammer).  

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

What guns require you to manually decock it to carry it safely?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Manually declock the gun isn't hard, people have been doing it for decades.

An alternative to the sp-01 is cz p09. It used the omga trigger which allow the owner to switch between the declocker or manual saftey. The declocker is the default safety so you don't have to install it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#30]
decocker

I've got both and I prefer the decocker.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

An alternative to the sp-01 is cz p09. It used the omga trigger which allow the owner to switch between the declocker or manual saftey. The declocker is the default safety so you don't have to install it.
View Quote

Who is manually decocking what guns? I cannot think of a single platform that requires this, and frankly think it's stupid.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What guns require you to manually decock it to carry it safely?
View Quote

Well, I was going to make a snide comment that SA revolvers are manually decocked all the time for a long time.  CZ is common (those that have safeties and not already with a decocker) as you can carry it DA with hammer down or cocked-and-locked.  I just don't get the "stupid" comments about manually decocking.  It's not unsafe if you follow the safety rules.  Yes, I know a deckocker is safer under stress, but stress is mitigated through training.  I'm not bashing the use of a decocker as they have a valid purpose, I'm just bashing those who think lowering a hammer manually is unsafe or stupid...some would argue a decocker was designed for those too stupid or uncoordinated to lower a hammer manually; that to is an irrational argument against decockers.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Who is manually decocking what guns? I cannot think of a single platform that requires this, and frankly think it's stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Police, military, citizens, competitors, etc. Manual declocking have been done since DA/SA was invented. It's nothing new.

You know what's funny, 15 years ago or so people on this forum and other do not recommend declocker. Instead manual declocking was safer and recommended. A new generation of gun owners never manual declock now recommend declocker instead of manual.

For the record I manual declock my DA/SA from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sure you can, carefully, very carefully... But I don't like the hammer all the way down atop the firing pin so I never do it that way. I like having the hammer in the half cocked position on a loaded chamber. The pull in this mode is only a little harder to pull the trigger than in the full single action mode.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, it's almost the same as the DA pull.  Slightly shorter and lighter.  But nothing like the SA pull.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I think it depends what you want to do with the gun,

If it's for ccw, hammer down, you don't need a safety and it could get in the way or you could accidentally engage it.

If it's for OWB OC or competitions of some nature or you want to carry cocked and locked, the safety would be better.

There isn't a "right" answer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top