Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2016 2:44:10 PM EDT
got a raven mp25, wow shoots nice, good group, what do yall think of the raven?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if trolling
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have gotten good results and abysmal results from cheap guns.

Shot a Davis .32 ACP that would roll a pop can at 50 yards, and have shot a .22 RG revolver that wouldn't hit a glass bottle 5 feet away.

Just depends on how the minimum wage workers put them together that particular day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, my experience with Raven .25acp's is shit. It looked to be made of "Hot Wheels" toy metal. It was a jammomatic. Others here will probably say similar comments. I'm NOT a gun snob however; but you can do a lot better. If I was on an extreme low budget I would get a Hi Point, they work. If it's just a range toy and it's reliable then keep it and enjoy it. I hope your experience is better than mine was. Be safe!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]
A bad way to launch a worse caliber.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:31:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Piece of crap
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I purchased a used one from my favorite FFL for $2 (the cost of the background check) priced to get it out of his inventory. He obtained it as part of a collection he purchased from an estate sale and placed no value on it. It sat in his display case for over a year with no interest (from anyone who wasn't a prohibited purchaser at least).

I have never shot it. I still think I got ripped off
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I purchased a used one from my favorite FFL for $2 (the cost of the background check) priced to get it out of his inventory. He obtained it as part of a collection he purchased from an estate sale and placed no value on it. It sat in his display case for over a year with no interest (from anyone who wasn't a prohibited purchaser at least).

I have never shot it. I still think I got ripped off
View Quote

Isn't that the truth! Chrome plated, pearl handled, Raven .25's are magnets for shit bags and doo-rags! My favorite shop won't even take that kind of crap in on a trade because of all the trash those kind of "weapons" bring in the shop.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:16:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Did you have to do paperwork on it?  I'm thinking throwdown gun.  I've only seen one that worked reliably and it belonged to a gunsmith friend.  It was given to him because it didn't work and he took it as a challenge to make it reliable.  I don't know what all he did to it but it had almost no finish on it and was a source of many headaches.  

Kind of in the same vein, another friend had one of the longer barreled Phoenix .22s and it was actually reliable with high velocity ammo and was also surprisingly accurate.  He used it as his woods/fishing gun and was perfectly happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Fat Phil likes it

If you are old you will get the reference.

Even forund an ARF archive thread
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Lol I used to sell Saturday night special drop guns like that @ 4 for $50 with transfer included. People would buy them even in their "as-is" condition. If they didn't sell by the next gun buyback I would bring them there and get $25 per gun....along with all my junk or unsafe stuff I would acquire in large gun lot purchases.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#12]
My great grandpa gave one to my mom.  He was a hunter and fisherman, and regular K-Mart shopper.  He was also born in 1913 in the Ninth Ward of New Orleans, so naturally he was frugal.  Unlike my dad's side of the family who are very particular about everything, he usually bought based on price.

I'm sure he thought he was doing her a favor, and as often as I've seen it used, I guess it served it's purpose.  It has spent its life unloaded in in a sock drawer, with a loaded magazine and what I'm sure is the original box of ammunition a few drawers over.

I saw my dad use it once in an attempt to dispatch a stray pit bull mix when I was a kid.  I think he fired 3 or 4 shots at less than 7 yards resulting in a possible hit, and a definite jam.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#13]
First off , just a range toy , don't count on it .

Something about the construction makes them break parts if you dry fire them even a couple of times , just don't.

Some run , some don't , I suspect crappy magazines and bad tolerances , some work ok , some suck

Back ten years or so A work buddy and I stopped in at a local gun store over lunch and there was a raven or something in the used case for $35 . We both laughed but my buddy bought it . Small , hard to hold , almost no real sights .

He lucked out , it actually functions pretty well when you can get a grip on it without dragging your hand on the slide . not very serious but a fun enough range toy when you consider the cost
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL, I'm not sure what's worse those or the Lorcin.

I had a Lorcin, my father in law had nothing, and hood rats all around, so I did a little home smithing on it and got it to run pretty reliably, bought him a box of ammo and said happy birthday..."It's not much, but it's something that goes pop, most of the time" When I spent about 2 hours on it, it finally got to where it ran 98% of the time I'd say.

Thing was basically cast from pot metal, garbage. As I understand it, Raven's pretty much the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#15]
i was not trolling, had to ask my son what trolling was. by the way i got another raven from my sister, she had had it 30 years. cleaned it up, shoots good.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#16]
There's nothing good about that round or brand handgun that I have to say.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure if trolling
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#18]
A gunzine did a torture test. In 25acp the Raven won beating Colts, Beretta and baby Browning's and a bunch of other purse pistols.

The only one to use all 500 rounds without any failure to feed, fire, extract and eject.

Not bad for a chunk of die cast Zinc with a barrel insert and some cheap plastic grips.

But back when I had an FFL I refused to ever let one in the door - I didn't want that ink stain in my bound book.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Raven.  It works better if you throw it at your target.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Be careful with it.  The way the trigger/sear/firing pin engages, they are known to discharge unexpectedly.  New they they can be OK (but never very good).  

There was a deputy around here that shot himself in the ass when he carried one in a back pocket and bumped it when adjusting his pants.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe make a shadow box with it.
Some dice, a butterfly knife. Ebt card...
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I rock a raven .25 also.  Grand master pimp status.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Not tech related
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top