Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2018 8:38:55 PM EDT
Over the past month I picked up two ‘surplus’ 9mm single stacks, a Star BM and a Zastava M88A.
Finally got them both out to the range, of the two I think I like the Star a bit better. Both shot well at 10 yards with Blazer brass 115gr. and Speer Lawman 147 gr.

The BM shot best with a standard hold and didn’t seem to have a preference, while the M88A shot low with Blazer and closer to POA with the Speer. I had to use a combat hold with the M88A. Felt recoil & muzzle rise was noticeably less in the BM with both loads.

BM trigger was just a bit lighter and cleaner than the M88A but both are good single action breaks. Considering the BM is a trade-in that’s been re-arsenaled it should be broken in while the M88A was used but has very little wear. Never tried the M88A in DA.

Before I went out I filed the rear of the BM hammer lightly but still got some hammer bite so I took a bit more off, and I have medium to large hands. Without gloves I think most of us would have the same problem.

The M88A actually had a malfunction, got a dead trigger halfway thru the second mag. I think the mag disconnect killed the trigger, slapping the mag confirmed it was latched but changed nothing. Round was chambered but after dropping, reinserting & racking it ran fine for the rest of the trip. It’s easy to remove at least.

The BM grip is larger and fits my hand a bit better but I don’t mind the narrower vertical grip of the M88A. Smaller hands would probably prefer the M88A. And there is a modern rubber overmolded grip for M57/M70/M88A that looks similar to a Fab Defense grip.

So I paid $200 for the M88A w/ 2 mags and $225 for the BM and one mag. M88A mags are almost impossible to find and the few I saw were $70. Norinco 213 mags supposedly fit but don’t have the pinky extension and run $50. So I’d make sure you get two mags with yours. BM mags aren’t plentiful either but I ordered one used from Numrich for $48 along with a new production firing pin for $20. So these aren’t great choices for those who want a dozen mags. Wolff does make replacement BM recoil & mag springs.

I think most of the internals of the M88A like the trigger group are standard tokarev and are easy to find. So once I get my mag disconnect issue resolved it’ll probably run longer than the Star, which does have a history of weak firing pins.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you. I've been lusting for a BM off and on as a bug out pistol or fun gun, never seem to have the funds the same time they are available. Appreciate the report, sir!
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice pics
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice pics
View Quote
Your sarcasm fu is strong.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea I missed a Star BM earlier this year from my local gun store. Then when I bought the M88A someone came in to pick up their BM they’d transfered. He was nice enough to let me take a look and I knew enough not to dry fire it. LOTS of finish wear but I think that gave it character and it had a great bore, like mine. Not sure where he ordered it but paid $200 before transfer.

I’d planned to order one after the holidays then the same LGS listed one on their Facebook page for $225 so I went there the same day and this one had more finish on the slide & upper frame, looks like the front & back grips had most of their bluing buffed off probably due to rust from someone’s hand. And the firing pin wasn’t broken.

Now if you just want a good cheap carry/SD piece there’s some good sub-$300 LEO trade in Glocks and M&Ps or a Walter Creed from CDNN for $250. I think PSA had a Shield 9mm new for $275 recently. But once these BMs and 88s are gone they’ll be on Gunbroker for ridiculous prices like the old Century VZ 2008s and the Wiselite Sterling carbines.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#5]
You can use siG Mags in the BM ,

My video on it
P225 mag modification for Star BM 9mm pistol
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, I watched your video before posting this and may try to mod a Promag p225/P6.
I have a spare used factory BM mag & a reproduction firing pin coming in today, I'm curious to see if the spring in the used mag is as strong as the one that came with my Star.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm pretty sure my star ejector, or something, isn't working right. I had a few malfunctions, then noticed the last spent round was just sitting on top of the magazine instead of being ejected.

I like it, but haven't gotten around to fixing it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top