Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2021 7:56:13 AM EDT
I ordered a Ruger 22/45 Lite for my kids to start learning on but apparently their inventory was incorrect and it was out of stock so now I'm rethinking things.

I was thinking the Ruger 22/45 Lite is probably the best option for kids to learn on, what say you all?

The Glock 44 and FN 502 Tactical are actually lighter but I'm guessing wider, bigger grip circumference.

I'd like to be able to put a red dot and suppressor on it, already bought a HS507c for the Ruger.

Should I buy a 22/45 elsewhere or get something else?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#2]
You’re on the right track with the 22/45, stay in your lane bro.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I also have to vote Ruger.  Mark IV, 22/45 or a wheel gun.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Ruger 22/45 Lite is a great choice for new shooters. Kids and adults. I have one with a Holoson HS403 and it is the first pistol to come out when working with new shooters.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#5]
22/45 Lite gets my vote.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Browning Buckmark is a far superior pistol. I’ve had a barrel full of 22/45s and none were as good as a Browning.
For a kid I prefer the single six or bearcat to teach safe handling and patience.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Out of a Ruger mkII, Ruger 22/45, Ruger Single Six, Buckmark, S&W 617, GSG 1911
My S&W 4" 622 was my sons absolute favorite when he was young.

He only put it down to reload mags.

Fit his hand well, lightweight aluminum construction, 12 rd mags (uses S&W 41 mags) ambidextrous mag release (my son is a lefty only when it comes to shooting), low bore axis making it easy to mount a suppressor and still use the sights and very respectable accuracy/reliability makes it a worthwhile choice IMHO.

Only real downside is they have been out of production for years but they made lots of them (as well as other variations) and they're still found in used cases pretty regularly.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I prefer a stainless steel MK series, but your choice is very sound, and something that is not only accurate and reliable, but quality enough that there won't be a need to upgrade in the future.  I don't understand how people pay good money on these aluminum alloy copies of full size service pistols, that don't weigh, shoot, recoil, and many times don't even have the same trigger mechanism as their centerfire inspirations, when there are tried and proven designs made from the ground up as .22LRs that are of a much better quality, been around forever, and are fully supported with all sorts of parts.  Entry level-wise, I'd say a Ruger or the already mentioned Browning Buckmark, which have come down in price quite a bit.  

You'll find one soon, Ruger manufacturers various guns on the same product lines, and sometimes they can be hard to find for a few months until they're made again, but if you look hard enough, you will find one in stock somewhere.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My first gun ever was a Ruger Single Six.
View Quote

My son LOVES the SP101 in .23lr
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Any are good.

I would say something more along the lines of something they will want to shoot in the future. Meaning teach them on a platform that they will use as in glock 44 or fn 502. Slide reciprocates etc.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#11]
the push button design for easy take down is a huge positive endorsement for the MKIV series... it facilitates easy chamber and bolt face cleaning and  lubrication, a consideration that should not be overlook when shooting a .22 rimfire...the biggest obstacle I faced in setting up a couple of Steel Challenge guns is the reliability issue, taking into consideration what ammunition is currently available for someone shooting 7 150+ round matches a month...

I have a High Standard Citation and SW M41, but use a Volquartsen/TandemKross equipped MKIV 22/45 lite with a Holosun 510c for RFPO
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#12]
This question is kind of dependent on the kid in question, in terms of size, strength, and maturity.  For most younger kids, strength and hand size are going to be issues.  A lot of kids also get excited their first time shooting and their brain slips into neutral, so safety needs to be kept in mind to a greater extent too.

My brother and I were recently out shooting and my nephew decided that he'd like to try shooting a handgun.  The only .22 I had along was a Ruger GP100, which was a terrible choice.  The gun was too large and heavy, he couldn't cock the hammer easily, nor could he pull the trigger in double action.

A MK4 Lite would have been a better choice in this case.  He's mature enough that I'd be comfortable with him having a SA with supervision, but some other kids would only get one round at a time.  A standard MK4 probably would have been too heavy.

The best choice might be something like a Ruger Bearcat or Uberti Stallion.  Scaled down so they'll fit smaller hands, lighter weight.  Being single action, you get a little more reaction time if they start to do something stupid.  A Wrangler or Rough Rider would also work on a budget.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#13]
The S&W M&P 22 Compact is great for kids. Smaller grip size, easy trigger, easy to rack slide. The MKIV Lite isn’t bad either.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#14]
The Ruger 22/45 is an excellent choice and what I would choose also.

I have a Walther P22 that is also perfectly sized for small hands and would work well but the Ruger gets my number one spot for your purpose.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Revolver, Ruger single six  (maybe even the convertible so you can shoot 22 WMR too)

Semi auto, Ruger SR22 these are great
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted: The Glock 44 and FN 502 Tactical are actually lighter but I'm guessing wider, bigger grip circumference.

I'd like to be able to put a red dot and suppressor on it, already bought a HS507c for the Ruger.
View Quote
Quoted: I would say something more along the lines of something they will want to shoot in the future. Meaning teach them on a platform that they will use as in glock 44 or fn 502. Slide reciprocates etc.
View Quote
I think it depends on the age of the "kids".

A G44 is the ultimate G19 trainer.

For an MRDS, you'll need an aftermarket G44 slide.  My wife and (older) kids absolutely love my G44's with a Trijicon RMR.  I have a Rugged Obsidian9 in jail.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I learned on a S&W 617 to teach both SA/DA fundamentals.  I'm now in my 30's, and still greatly enjoy shooting revolvers and DA/SA autos because of this.

My dad also had Ruger MKII pistols.  Either one will be a great training aid, but revolvers are better for learning a more "broad spectrum" understanding of trigger control.

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 8:14:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
the push button design for easy take down is a huge positive endorsement for the MKIV series... it facilitates easy chamber and bolt face cleaning and  lubrication, a consideration that should not be overlook when shooting a .22 rimfire...the biggest obstacle I faced in setting up a couple of Steel Challenge guns is the reliability issue, taking into consideration what ammunition is currently available for someone shooting 7 150+ round matches a month...

I have a High Standard Citation and SW M41, but use a Volquartsen/TandemKross equipped MKIV 22/45 lite with a Holosun 510c for RFPO
View Quote
My 22/45 Lite is the MKIII flavor and I've never actually taken it apart to clean it but it has never malfunctioned in brick after brick of suppressed .22lr. I just keep liberally squirting Slip2000 into it. I'm sure at some point I'm going to have to scrub it, but for now it won't stop.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I went with a S&W 63. It was either a 317 or 63, and I found the 63 first. I already have a couple single sixes, a Mark IV, Buckmark and G44. Will get a FN 502 too, once I can get my hands on one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Revolver, Ruger single six  (maybe even the convertible so you can shoot 22 WMR too)

View Quote

Took my sister in law to the range a couple years ago, she brought her SR22. I liked it, and my daughter shot it well enough that I bought one myself.

Only thing I don't like is the safety is exactly reverse of everything else. Up is off. Not a big deal for what I wanted it for, but it's tough to use as a training gun with backwards controls.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I know you said handgun but the M&P 15-22 is a good rifle choice and the Ruger lightweight 22 pistols are great 22s
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#23]
My 9 year old loves shooting my Browning 1911-22 compact. Smaller size and lighter weight than a ruger mk3.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#24]
The 22/45 Lite is probably the best overall choice but the TX22 is another option. My son's GF shot it and she's got tiny, child like hands and she's didn't have any probably with it. Its super light, inexpensive, 16rd mags and will eat just about any ammo.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I ended up finding a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite OD Green, slapped a Holosun 507c on there:

Link Posted: 10/15/2021 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#26]
You are on the right track.

What I would add is a suppressor.   Taking all the noise out of it removes the startle factor.  Thus, the kid(s) can focus on gun safety and principles of marksmanship without fear of recoil or involuntary movement due to anticipating the noise.

ETA:  I know RDS are the rage...and for good reason.  But make them learn to use iron sights.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You’re on the right track with the 22/45, stay in your lane bro.
View Quote

Can't go wrong with the 22/45.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Why do .22 pistols cost so much...many cost more than similar centerfire pistols?
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why do .22 pistols cost so much...many cost more than similar centerfire pistols?
View Quote

That's a good question, the 22/45 feels good quality but that's subjective.

I do wish it had more of an undercut to it, that's been my only complaint.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I like the Beretta. Gives them the safety and also a little weight / size to familiarize with.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#31]
I bought my son a TX22 back in December, but he was only a month old then so I don't know if it fits his hand.... The grip is comfy for me, but may be a bit large for a kid. May have to pick up another 22
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm still a kid @ 42 and the 22/45 Lite is my favorite handgun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Shot mine for the first time last night, one ragged hole, easy.

Trigger reset kinda sucks though, gonna have to get that VQ kit I think
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Important to remember this pistol is for your kids not you. If it will be the first pistol they shoot they won’t have a trigger quality basis for comparison
A bit heavier trigger is better for beginners for a very slight measure of safety, but learning on a stock trigger makes adapting to other stock level triggers easy. Start with a target trigger and they may have a hard time transitioning to a less refined service type trigger later on.

Happy to see you went with an auto. I don’t care for single action revolvers as trainers, due to the need to carefully confirm all chambers empty through the small loading gate. I have even seen experienced cowboy shooters miss a chamber with a shell in it ( usually an empty but you get the idea)
Most DA revolvers as much as I love them are hard for small hands to manage with either heavy DA pulls or it is a stretch to cock the hammer

A refined gun like you are starting with imo is better than the so called combat trainer types like Glock 44 which even in expert hands do nearly have the accuracy potential.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Important to remember this pistol is for your kids not you. If it will be the first pistol they shoot they won’t have a trigger quality basis for comparison
A bit heavier trigger is better for beginners for a very slight measure of safety, but learning on a stock trigger makes adapting to other stock level triggers easy. Start with a target trigger and they may have a hard time transitioning to a less refined service type trigger later on.

Happy to see you went with an auto. I don’t care for single action revolvers as trainers, due to the need to carefully confirm all chambers empty through the small loading gate. I have even seen experienced cowboy shooters miss a chamber with a shell in it ( usually an empty but you get the idea)
Most DA revolvers as much as I love them are hard for small hands to manage with either heavy DA pulls or it is a stretch to cock the hammer

A refined gun like you are starting with imo is better than the so called combat trainer types like Glock 44 which even in expert hands do nearly have the accuracy potential.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good points!

I'm really interested to see if a Glock 44 Gen 2 comes out.  Might be a good transition to an actual Glock 19 when the time comes to shoot centerfire.  I'd like to see it with a little better reliability and RDS compatibility.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Good points!

I'm really interested to see if a Glock 44 Gen 2 comes out.  Might be a good transition to an actual Glock 19 when the time comes to shoot centerfire.  I'd like to see it with a little better reliability and RDS compatibility.
View Quote
Why? What would they change?
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good points!

Better reliability and RDS compatibility
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I have many 22lr handguns in my safe but my kids like 2 above all else...
Ruger Mk3 standard is everybody's favorite
Second is Bersa Thunderer 22
Third is tie between S&W model 63 4" and Ruger Single Six

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#39]
22/45 Lite gets my vote, I’m on the hunt for one now to start my kids on
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I was curious about the "Lite" part of the .22/45 because according to the specs it's the same weight as the other 22/45 models so I asked the folks at Ruger.

I was told that the "Lite" part of the 22/45 doesn't refer to the weight but instead, the style lol.  Hmm...seems odd but ok.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Took my sister in law to the range a couple years ago, she brought her SR22. I liked it, and my daughter shot it well enough that I bought one myself.

Only thing I don't like is the safety is exactly reverse of everything else. Up is off. Not a big deal for what I wanted it for, but it's tough to use as a training gun with backwards controls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Safety is a safety/decocker, hence the backwardsness.

Just like on a Beretta 92. Decock lever goes down to lower hammer, and then stays in the safe position.

If it was an SAO, then yes, it would be a backwards ass safety, but it's a decocker/safety.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I ended up finding a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite OD Green, slapped a Holosun 507c on there:

https://i.imgur.com/HCMr90T.jpg
View Quote

Now you just need to get a Lobos mount when it's in stock. So much lower and more natural than that fucktardedly high picatinny mount.

I did the same thing at first. Love the Lobos mount.

https://lobos-industries.com/products/low-profile-red-dot-mount-ruger-mark-series-rmr-footprint

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My first gun ever was a Ruger Single Six.
View Quote

This was mine too, 1974, paid $57 for it new, worked my butt off that summer cutting grass....I still have it

I purchased a 22/45 for my sons first pistol, he was 12 years old....that was 20 years ago.  

So either one of these is my suggestion

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top