Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

You can buy the jig or I think 4Drentals.com rents them.  I've also seen folks use a set of round butt grips as a template.  First thing you have to do is make sure it doesn't damage the serial number if it's on the butt.  Removing material on the back is easy, then you have to remove some on the front and modify the strain screw slightly.  

There used to be some videos on youtube showing it being done but I guess their retarded policies got them yanked.  You can see the differences in this video from our benevolent overlords though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee9K960aBC0

ETA: Pacific tool sells the jig too (I couldn't find it on Brownell's site anymore).
https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/smith-wesson-tools/9906-ptg-round-butt-fitting-guide-sw-k-l-frame.html
View Quote

I just used old round butt grips. You need to take some off the front as well
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

The JM grips are kinda long for aiwb carry. I am planning on getting a pair for my 4" m65 round butt as I'm still searching for the right grips for that gun and the JM grips are awesome to shoot with
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:
Originally Posted By MRW:
I'm considering a 2" K-frame as a carry piece.  Is a round butt all that much superior than square for appendix carry?  Square butt K-snubs appear to be more common and less expensive.  Perhaps I can knock down the sharp edge on the back corner of the grips.

One option is a square to round grip like the Mikulek might make the difference without the cost of a conversion.

The JM grips are kinda long for aiwb carry. I am planning on getting a pair for my 4" m65 round butt as I'm still searching for the right grips for that gun and the JM grips are awesome to shoot with

I didn’t even think of that good point
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 12:26:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#3]

View All Quotes
I'm considering a 2" K-frame as a carry piece.  Is a round butt all that much superior than square for appendix carry?  Square butt K-snubs appear to be more common and less expensive.  Perhaps I can knock down the sharp edge on the back corner of the grips.

One option is a square to round grip like the Mikulek might make the difference without the cost of a conversion.

This is an N frame but I think the length is the same
It's definitely doable but it prints a little
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#4]

You can buy the jig or I think 4Drentals.com rents them.  I've also seen folks use a set of round butt grips as a template.  First thing you have to do is make sure it doesn't damage the serial number if it's on the butt.  Removing material on the back is easy, then you have to remove some on the front and modify the strain screw slightly.  

There used to be some videos on youtube showing it being done but I guess their retarded policies got them yanked.  You can see the differences in this video from our benevolent overlords though:

ETA: Pacific tool sells the jig too (I couldn't find it on Brownell's site anymore).
https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/smith-wesson-tools/9906-ptg-round-butt-fitting-guide-sw-k-l-frame.html
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gunnut284:
Originally Posted By MRW:  I'm considering a 2" K-frame as a carry piece.  Is a round butt all that much superior than square for appendix carry?  Square butt K-snubs appear to be more common and less expensive.  Perhaps I can knock down the sharp edge on the back corner of the grips.

I recall seeing a jig years ago, from Brownells I think, for converting/cutting down a square frame grip to a round frame grip profile. No idea if it’s still available, what all was involved or if there is any issues with converting one. I’ve been tempted to but a 4” 64/65 to cut to 3” and RB, or at least bobtail a bit. If I could snag a cheap one I’d be inclined to bubba it.

I believe these is an ATF rule that permits a licensed gunsmith to relocate a serial number.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

I believe these is an ATF rule that permits a licensed gunsmith to relocate a serial number.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gunnut284:
Originally Posted By MRW:  I'm considering a 2" K-frame as a carry piece.  Is a round butt all that much superior than square for appendix carry?  Square butt K-snubs appear to be more common and less expensive.  Perhaps I can knock down the sharp edge on the back corner of the grips.

I recall seeing a jig years ago, from Brownells I think, for converting/cutting down a square frame grip to a round frame grip profile. No idea if it’s still available, what all was involved or if there is any issues with converting one. I’ve been tempted to but a 4” 64/65 to cut to 3” and RB, or at least bobtail a bit. If I could snag a cheap one I’d be inclined to bubba it.

I think they used to be able to, or at least the factory could, but I'd heard that was changed so that it couldn't be moved at all.  I really don't know at this point and with the atf's screwed up policies/rules/whatever they've made up today, I'd double check before doing it.  Any FFL/gunsmiths in this thread that might know?  
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]

I'll quote myself.  I was theorizing about simply sanding down the square back corner of the magna grip panels, not reprofiling the frame to a round butt. Or is that not enough to keep it from printing and digging into my hopefully shrinking belly?
View All Quotes
I'm considering a 2" K-frame as a carry piece.  Is a round butt all that much superior than square for appendix carry?  Square butt K-snubs appear to be more common and less expensive. Perhaps I can knock down the sharp edge on the back corner of the grips.

I'll quote myself.  I was theorizing about simply sanding down the square back corner of the magna grip panels, not reprofiling the frame to a round butt. Or is that not enough to keep it from printing and digging into my hopefully shrinking belly?

Its really not a huge deal. It's more that if anything is going to print it's that bottom heal. The shape of vz square butt grips is helpful too.

If I were you I'd just grab a 2" m10 with a square butt. Get vz square butt grips and see if that works. If not, grab an angle grinder until it does.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Centerfire Systems always has a metric shit-ton of used J and K-frame S&W's. I suspect they're mostly imports because so many of them look like hammered crap. But they run them on sale fairly often and a fella could buy a rusty one, bead blast it, Parkerize it, and have a good utility carry revolver.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#10]

all those guns have leprosy
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ggibbs:  Centerfire Systems always has a metric shit-ton of used J and K-frame S&W's. I suspect they're mostly imports because so many of them look like hammered crap. But they run them on sale fairly often and a fella could buy a rusty one, bead blast it, Parkerize it, and have a good utility carry revolver.

all those guns have leprosy

I'm always hearing about those used $300 S&W .38 revolvers, now I finally know what they look like!
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 12:54:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Uh huh.  Your 1st link, $300 was the starting bid, no one bid on it & it never met the reserve price.
View All Quotes

Uh huh.  Your 1st link, $300 was the starting bid, no one bid on it & it never met the reserve price.

It said no reserve.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 1:05:12 AM EDT
[#14]

It said no reserve.
View All Quotes

It said no reserve.

I stand corrected.  $300 was the starting bid & no one ever bid on it.  $320 shipped before transfer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 6:50:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#16]
So I bought a Taurus.  Not photographed on concrete

https://i.imgur.com/J4LnoF6.jpg?1
View Quote

Yay!
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#18]
He's happy I bought a Taurus, isn't that wonderful!
View All Quotes

Yay!
He's happy I bought a Taurus, isn't that wonderful!

Smartass.  I clarified.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 7:54:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#19]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#20]
These  38 spl are very positive and happy rounds - 147gr RMR "smiley" bullets, over 4 gr of Titegroup

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Thats  Great!    Where  did You get  those  bullets?

Would they   ship to NY?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HBARCharlie:
Thats  Great!    Where  did You get  those  bullets?

Would they   ship to NY?
View Quote

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets/pistol/357-38/357-147-gr-rmr-fmj-smiley/
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Samal:  https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets/pistol/357-38/357-147-gr-rmr-fmj-smiley/
View Quote

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets/pistol/357-38/357-147-gr-rmr-fmj-smiley/
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#24]
thats  great,  Thanks  guys  for the  link

Link Posted: 11/11/2023 10:37:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#25]
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 10:26:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#26]
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#27]
This is where I am now. I think I'll "bobtail" it like a 1911

https://i.imgur.com/mZQQFnY.jpg?1
View Quote

So like a round butt conversion? I’ve always thought the square butt with some short grips like these looked great rather than a round butt.  https://www.eaglegrips.com/secret-service-series/286-sw-kl-frame-square-butt-genuine-rosewood-checkered-secret-service-grips.html
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Just have to be careful of the serial number if it's on the butt, some of them are long enough/placed far enough back that you can't do a full rounding.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:47:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:  Just have to be careful of the serial number if it's on the butt, some of them are long enough/placed far enough back that you can't do a full rounding.
View Quote

Thought a gunsmith can move the SN for you?
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:  Just have to be careful of the serial number if it's on the butt, some of them are long enough/placed far enough back that you can't do a full rounding.

I'm not an FFL holder of any sort and I only worked in a gun store for a short spell in the late 80s so I may be way off- I think they could, then it was change to only the manufacturer could then it was changed to the manufacturer could reuse a serial number as long as they documented the destruction of the original frame.  I'd wanted to round one of mine and add an original lanyard loop but it would obviously have destroyed the serial number and I was told it couldn't be done anymore.  Again, you'd have to ask someone who actually holds a license- maybe someone in the gunsmithing forum could provide an actual legal answer.  

My own personal opinion is that it's a retarded rule/law; other than my vehicle which must be registered (that's another story), nothing else I own is required to be serial numbered.  I should be able to remove the number if I want just as I can pull the sticker off my refrigerator, move it, modify it, etc.  Few of the things I own have any real value anyways.  Sure, it's nice if your item get returned if stolen, but I have a very hard time believing my Italian Beretta has never shown up in over twenty years unless some thief tossed it in a river or something.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 1:11:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I want wood on my 340 but I like my laser too much. Plus the palm padding is nice. I’m thinking about sending my cylinder out to have it honed and chamfered. Empty cases get stuck a lot and I find myself having to really push down on the ejector rod. I’m concerned about bending the ejector rod.

Link Posted: 12/28/2023 1:43:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MK318:
I want wood on my 340 but I like my laser too much. Plus the palm padding is nice. I’m thinking about sending my cylinder out to have it honed and chamfered. Empty cases get stuck a lot and I find myself having to really push down on the ejector rod. I’m concerned about bending the ejector rod.

View Quote

I have that concern every time I run steel case in my 101.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 4:28:22 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

This wasn’t steel. This was nickel plated brass cased Barnes TAC-XPD 125gr .357 but it has always had issues with Norma 158gr JHP which is brass cased. I think the cylinders are a little rough. Honing and chamfering should help. What I’m considering doing is sending the cylinder off to TK customs and have it cut for moonclips which includes the chamfering and having the honing done while it’s there. Turn around time is about 2 weeks. $285 doesn’t seem to bad of a price either.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#35]

This wasn’t steel. This was nickel plated brass cased Barnes TAC-XPD 125gr .357 but it has always had issues with Norma 158gr JHP which is brass cased. I think the cylinders are a little rough. Honing and chamfering should help. What I’m considering doing is sending the cylinder off to TK customs and have it cut for moonclips which includes the chamfering and having the honing done while it’s there. Turn around time is about 2 weeks. $285 doesn’t seem to bad of a price either.
View All Quotes

The honing and chamfering probably won't change that. The honing will be for the throats and the chamfering will just be for the charge holes. Neither one will effect the chamber where the brass expands.

Do you shoot .38 special? You might just need to really clean the carbon rings out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

A 340 has a titanium cylinder, they tend to expand/flex more than steel.  Honing/chamfering may not help.  Getting a stainless cylinder may, but it adds weight.  There are super hot 38 +p rounds that are sold by underwood and buffalo bore, which are basically 357 magnum.  The fired brass stick very tight in titanium cylinders, but not as much in stainless.  If you shoot all 5 rounds, it may require a hammer tapping on ejector rod to get the brass out in the titanium cylinder, vs a push/smack with a hand in stainless.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:58:57 AM EDT
[#37]
158 grain slugs
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:24:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#39]
aaaand a lightweight 3" added

https://i.imgur.com/uBuL137.jpg

View Quote

I like that Taurus is using a pinned front sight now. Having a tritium front sight seems like a minor upgrade but I’ve found it much easier to pick up the front sight rather than just using the standard blade. S&W really needs to adopt this across their line. While useable, it’s 2024 there is no excuse for gutter sights on a revolver when better sight options exist. I’d really like to see three dot sights like those that come on the 640 Pro be the standard sights. I use an XS standard dot tritium sight with a neon green outline on my 340PD and it is easy to pick up.

Attachment Attached File

Anyways, nice shooter.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:33:05 AM EDT
[#40]

The honing and chamfering probably won't change that. The honing will be for the throats and the chamfering will just be for the charge holes. Neither one will effect the chamber where the brass expands.

Do you shoot .38 special? You might just need to really clean the carbon rings out.
View Quote

Originally Posted By tgmr05:

A 340 has a titanium cylinder, they tend to expand/flex more than steel.  Honing/chamfering may not help.  Getting a stainless cylinder may, but it adds weight.  There are super hot 38 +p rounds that are sold by underwood and buffalo bore, which are basically 357 magnum.  The fired brass stick very tight in titanium cylinders, but not as much in stainless.  If you shoot all 5 rounds, it may require a hammer tapping on ejector rod to get the brass out in the titanium cylinder, vs a push/smack with a hand in stainless.
View Quote

After researching it I’ve decided to skip both on my 340PD. From what I’ve read that once you remove that finish on the Ti cylinder it can start to erode pretty quickly from firing. There are some pictures out there that shows some significant erosion in just a hundred rounds. I may end up buying a steel cylinder and swapping it out. It will add some weight but if I go that route I can I do the honing and chamfering along with having it cut for moon clips without having to worry about erosion. It would basically be a standard M&P 340. Then again I hardly carry my 340PD anymore and when I do it is almost always as a back up. So the shells sticking issue isn’t really that big of a deal. Just annoying.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#41]
aaaand a lightweight 3" added

https://i.imgur.com/uBuL137.jpg

View Quote

How do you like it so far?  That revolver is on my short list for a new toy
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Opposite of yer 3":

T.U.S.H. - Taurus Ultra Snubby Handgun #guns #shorts #taurus #revolver
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:13:10 AM EDT
[#44]
the trigger was gritty and chonk-y.  I took the plate off and oiled all the wear points and then dryfired it 500 times, then oiled it again.  It's much better.

I'll try to shoot it for the first time this weekend.

No other lightweight 3" 38 besides the LCRx at double the cost and one less round.
View Quote

I don’t have any first hand experience with the Taurus revolvers but I’ve always heard the first thing you need to do is remove the side plate and oil the hell out of it and leave it on its side overnight to get all the metal shavings from production out of it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#45]
I had a 3" Defender, out of the box the trigger was off my digital gauge with a 12lb max, I tried a Galloway kit which brought the pull weight to a nice 10-10.5lb but started having light strikes after a couple hundred rd's then I tried Wolf springs and had the same outcome, I ended up with the Galloway rebound spring installed, 500-600 rds, through it, a lot of dry fires, a little polishing / lube resulted in a reliable smooth 11lb trigger.
Decent gun but, sent it down the road.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#48]
WD 40 turns very sticky as it dries.  It is not a lubricant, it's a water displacer hence it's name. It was originally designed for the Air Force to protect against corrosion in the outer skin of ballistic missiles in under ground silos.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#50]
maybe I should just use brake cleaner
View Quote

Take the grips off 1st.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top