Link Posted: 9/26/2013 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]
nice
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
what he said
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
If John Holbrook has it, it's legit. Very VERY sweet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Ain't it the truth!

Been following his "collecting" for years.  The man can take some very nice clear, detailed pictures!  
And he seems to be a magnet for some of the absolute best 1911's out there!
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ain't it the truth!

Been following his "collecting" for years.  The man can take some very nice clear, detailed pictures!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't it the truth!

I have some 1911/A1 stuff I consider nice. I doubt John would even glance at them twice. [not saying that is a bad on his part, just that there are collectors and then there are COLLECTORS. I just don't run in the rarified circles this stuff pops up in and to get into that circle takes massive effort, and when it pops up, copious amounts of cold hard cash. For me, a couple grand is the absolute max I can justify spending on a 1911/A1.

I truly do enjoy seeing what he digs up and the history behind them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have some 1911/A1 stuff I consider nice. I doubt John would even glance at them twice. [not saying that is a bad on his part, just that there are collectors and then there are COLLECTORS. I just don't run in the rarified circles this stuff pops up in and to get into that circle takes massive effort, and when it pops up, copious amounts of cold hard cash. For me, a couple grand is the absolute max I can justify spending on a 1911/A1.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't it the truth!

Exactly.
I have read several threads where these rare pistols come to them. They don't even have to go looking.
And that is why I stopped looking on milsurps
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Exactly.
I have read several threads where these rare pistols come to them. They don't even have to go looking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't it the truth!

Exactly.

Stuff pops up from time to time, especially when you least expect it. I have snagged 4 or 5 in the past year. Not stuff like that but nice one's none the less and at prices even I can afford. Even got my hands on a US&S in decent shape and undicked with and I've been looking for one of those for over a decade since I walked away from one, went back and it was already gone.

If the money is right, I even like the mutts because that is what I carried while in.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I want one like that I can shoot, not sit in a safe for all eternity
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Find one of these.

[/img]
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Find one of these.

http://i44.tinypic.com/vpxqau.jpg[/url]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find one of these.

Yeah, where? I live on the other side of BFE
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find one of these.

I found that one at a "GASP" gunshow last year for well under 8 bills. New condition with the box. Was missing one of the pieces of factory paperwork. Everyone wanted AR's and such, I looked for the stuff no one was buying.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I could never own that. The desire to shoot it would exceed my better judgement as a collector.

Beautiful piece.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Find one of these.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find one of these.

That one of the Colt WWII repros?
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 4:06:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find one of these.

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 4:11:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find one of these.

Yes.

Man you got a good deal on that thing. I was broke when Colt was producing them, haven't seen one under $1,200 in years but it's exactly what I want in a shooter.

Hopefully I'll stumble across one someday or Colt will do another run; 'til then I'll have to keep making do with my Nork.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 4:56:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Man you got a good deal on that thing. I was broke when Colt was producing them, haven't seen one under $1,200 in years but it's exactly what I want in a shooter.

Hopefully I'll stumble across one someday or Colt will do another run; 'til then I'll have to keep making do with my Nork.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find one of these.

Yes.

People were selling lots of nice stuff cheap during the EBR scare of 2012-2013 because the vast majority of people were only looking for certain guns, mags and ammo. I grabbed more nice stuff last year then in the past several put together. In one way, I was kind of sad it ended. Old S&Ws, GI 45s, Colts...........people walked right by them in their frenzy to overpay for an AR.

It was cheaper then the most basic 1911 model Colts sells and it showed up at several shows before I ever made an offer on it. [because I kept buying something else instead ]
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 5:02:07 AM EDT
[#17]
You also need to understand (which I am sure you do) prices are regional.
It's awesome for you that you found a WWII repro for $800, but in my area prices for guns are ALWAYS higher, almost to the point of being laughable.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 6:56:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You also need to understand (which I am sure you do) prices are regional.
It's awesome for you that you found a WWII repro for $800, but in my area prices for guns are ALWAYS higher, almost to the point of being laughable.
View Quote

Agreed, I have a friend who lives in Kissimmie [sp?] and when he tells me gun prices, I laugh my arse off because they are ridiculous to the point of stupidity.

I will say I know that was a really good price but the guy had it for several shows for far less then it was worth and no one even looked at it due to the buying frenzy over EBR's.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I wonder how much that NIB 1911 cost him? I bought a new USGI Colt in the UK back in the mid 80's for 325GBP, regret not having it any more.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Meh! No use, no wear, no patina - NO SOUL.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
In this case, there isn't any history. At least not any interesting history. It is a run of the mill 1911A1 that was put in a box immediately after it was manufactured and has remained in that box for 68 years. Great pistol no doubt, but that is all.

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In this case, there isn't any history. At least not any interesting history. It is a run of the mill 1911A1 that was put in a box immediately after it was manufactured and has remained in that box for 68 years. Great pistol no doubt, but that is all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As opposed to a pistol that got shot to death on some range in CONUS, holster worn by generations of MPs, or cleaned over and over again in some National Guard armory?

That pistol gives us a glimpse at how they were rolling off the line and somehow managed to escape such a fate, its condition alone making it a rarity.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#23]
We are tempted to use the term 'museum quality'. But, if you'll notice, museums have mostly used items. What makes them suitable for a museum is who used them, rarity or to illustrate a historical period. Consequently, museum items are shown with all wear, scars and patina intact because in that way you have a direct connection to the users of the past. It is actually more difficult to maintain such an item than one in new condition, especially things that rust. Nothing against the beautiful Colt! I'd love to have one, but I just don't love it enough to drop $5000 or whatever it takes. I would touch it and show it. I would take it apart and oil it. Over time, it would begin to show wear and discoloration from oxidized oil. I much prefer an obviously used one that was actually used in the great wars of the 20th century. I know I am going to touch it and oil it, so this way I won't mess up a new one and be kicking my own butt for the rest of my life. At least, I have progressed from the time when I had to make old stuff look new again. :)

Nothing like a nice old gun with patina from many hands down through the years - especially if it came down through your family..
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#24]
This is what I look for, still reasonably affordable, but with a little wear. 100% perfect usually puts the price over what I am willing to pay.

[/img]

This is a 1944 RR. Little bit of wear to include the "idiot mark" but other then that, all parts are correct, the finish is 95%+ and the barrel is immaculate. Many GI pistols can look very nice but the bores are frosty and pitted due to the corrosive ammo used. Even a few rounds without proper cleaning could roach a barrel.

By the time I got out in the mid 80s, it was the rare 1911/A1 that had more then 20% finish left and mine usually were closer to 10%. [what the grips covered up] They still worked but they were were usually A mishmash of parts. [we carried every day so they got used much more often then the typical "arms room" queen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top