Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2014 8:41:48 AM EDT
Okay, so I am thinking about building a clone of Nash Bridge's 1911 in .38 super.  I need a Commander size 1911 that will accept a 2 port compensator on the end.  I was thinking about Colt's Commander in .38 super (two tone) and going from there.  I don't like .45 acp, I have a ton of 9mm pistols, you don't see many 1911s in .40 sw, so I figured .38 super is it.  If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them.  Custom makers are probably out of the question due to cost.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Ken may have a better answer, and it's been a long time since fooling with the shorter Commander slides, but a one piece cone-comp combination that is threaded on the existing barrel would  work if the cones is short and designed for the Commander... you will need a reverse spring plug

if you replace the barrel with a longer one, a two port comp on a longer barrel could use the existing front bushing and spring system... recessed to fit over the external barrel bushing

Brownells has a pretty good selection

a couple of hours on a lathe and milling machine if you are cheap

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, that was very informative.  I have access to an expert gunsmith, so I will run these options by him.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a THR thread about a build like that.  The 3rd post in has the specs taken from the Nash Bridges site back when it was on the air.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's a THR thread about a build like that.  The 3rd post in has the specs taken from the Nash Bridges site back when it was on the air.  
View Quote

Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ken may have a better answer, and it's been a long time since fooling with the shorter Commander slides, but a one piece cone-comp combination that is threaded on the existing barrel would  work if the cones is short and designed for the Commander... you will need a reverse spring plug

if you replace the barrel with a longer one, a two port comp on a longer barrel could use the existing front bushing and spring system... recessed to fit over the external barrel bushing

Brownells has a pretty good selection

a couple of hours on a lathe and milling machine if you are cheap

<a href="http://s825.photobucket.com/user/LesSnyder/media/DSC00414_zpseaadd3e4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz180/LesSnyder/DSC00414_zpseaadd3e4.jpg</a>
View Quote

That's pretty much how I'd do it.  Threaded cone barrel and the comp of your choice.  You're looking at probably boring out the recoil spring tunnel for the reverse plug, and maybe having to cut a Clark/Para or Wilson/Nowlin ramp in the frame (since unramped .38 bull barrels aren't going to be easy to come by).  I'd look at KKM Precision for the barrel, andEGW for the comp.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Is this the pistol you're talking about?

Inspector Nash Bridges (Don Johnson) uses a highly customized Model 1911 in .38 Super with a two port compensator. The gun was designed by Jim Zubiena,
and built at Mac's .45 Shop. It featured a Colt MK IV Series 70 slide
which was custom cut to Commander length and equipped with Bomar sights,
with a BarSto barrel. The frame was a Springfield, which had been hard
chromed. It also has a Smith and Alexander flat mainspring with magazine
well, a combat hammer, beavertail grip safety, extended slide catch,
and an extended ambi-safety. It was used through all six seasons of the
show.

I never watched Nash Bridges.  That would be a cool project to clone.

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Except for the ambi-safety.  

Just my tastes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/0/04/NashBridges1911.jpg

Inspector Nash Bridges (Don Johnson) uses a highly customized Model 1911 in .38 Super with a two port compensator. The gun was designed by Jim Zubiena, and built at Mac's .45 Shop. It featured a Colt MK IV Series 70 slide which was custom cut to Commander length and equipped with Bomar sights, with a BarSto barrel. The frame was a Springfield, which had been hard chromed. It also has a Smith and Alexander flat mainspring with magazine well, a combat hammer, beavertail grip safety, extended slide catch, and an extended ambi-safety. It was used through all six seasons of the show.

View Quote

That is it.  I want it badly.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Except for the ambi-safety.  

Just my tastes.
View Quote

Same here, not a fan of ambi-safeties.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I found that the slanted Ed Brown ambi offered me a lot of additional control when shooting weak handed (left for me)... of course ymmv.....
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the hard thing to find if you want an exact clone would be the compensator.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 1:43:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think the hard thing to find if you want an exact clone would be the compensator.  
View Quote

The compensator can be made on a mill, just like the original.
On the other hand, the S&A ambi safety was discoed years ago and is like looking for a unicorn.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 4:24:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Bullet_  the Ed Brown tactical ambi looks pretty close... never used a S&A... shot thumb over thumb and wanted as much purchase as possible... switched to the thumb forward grip late in the game
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

On the other hand, the S&A ambi safety was discoed years ago and is like looking for a unicorn.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh, didn't realize it was milled.  Also was drunk when posting, I'm surprised I wrote a coherent sentence.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I've wanted to do this for ages. Up until now I had totally forgotten about the idea.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Inspector Nash Bridges (Don Johnson) uses a highly customized Model 1911 in .38 Super with a two port compensator. The gun was designed by Jim Zubiena, and built at Mac's .45 Shop. It featured a Colt MK IV Series 70 slide which was custom cut to Commander length and equipped with Bomar sights, with a BarSto barrel. The frame was a Springfield, which had been hard chromed. It also has a Smith and Alexander flat mainspring with magazine well, a combat hammer, beavertail grip safety, extended slide catch, and an extended ambi-safety. It was used through all six seasons of the show.

View Quote

Love the "Nash Bridges"-"Miami Vice" connection via Johnson and Zubiena.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed, their shootout(Miami Vice) in Crockett's house was epic.  I especially liked how he made the house go dark with his Bren Ten.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bullet_  the Ed Brown tactical ambi looks pretty close... never used a S&A... shot thumb over thumb and wanted as much purchase as possible... switched to the thumb forward grip late in the game
View All Quotes
Quoted:

EB is a close copy, but the OP is trying to make a clone.
S&A ambi was better too, I was sorry to see it go.

I'm left handed, so the Wilson Bullet Proof ambi is the only choice for me now.
I've broken or been simply unimpressed with all the cheaper ones still in production.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh, didn't realize it was milled.  Also was drunk when posting, I'm surprised I wrote a coherent sentence.

Drunk posting is best posting.

You find threads in your Subscribed folder you don't remember responding to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top