Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2016 11:58:14 AM EDT
My dad gave me an old taker's holster for a 1911. I like it, but is there a "correct" way to wear it. I've been wearing it with the 1911 itself on my left side with the shoulder strap going over my right shoulder. I've seen pictures of them with the should strap going over the left shoulder (same side as the weapon). Sure makes the middle (horizontal across the lower chest) strap seem more necessary if the over the shoulder strap goes over the left rather than the right shoulder.

I'm going to guess the answer is "what ever you are comfortable with" but was curious as to thoughts and experience.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#1]
There are 2 types of holsters, the early one  only has 1 strap that gos accross your chest, bandoleer style. The later style gos over your left shoulder and the second strap gos around your torso.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are 2 types of holsters, the early one  only has 1 strap that gos accross your chest, bandoleer style. The later style gos over your left shoulder and the second strap gos around your torso.
View Quote

M3

M7

I had an M3 and didn't like it, but the M7 is a lot better.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
So this below is totally wrong or a matter of preference?

I will add that my dad was in the military (got sent to Germany to do boarder patrol during Vietnam by the grace of God) and he had it setup like this picture. Wearing it like this doesn't seem exactly right. My dad drank a lot in those days and may not remember some things very well (it took me a while to convince him it was really called a "hasty sling" and that there wasn't some dude out there named Billy Bob Hasting's who invented the "Hasting's sling").
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
You had to be able to sit comfortably with a weapon. The Krink in my avatar was originally designed for armored and transport troops in the old CCCP
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]
If you watch the movie Operation Dumbo Drop you will see Dennis Leary wear his M7 / M9 yet a 3rd way. I looked for a pic online but cant find a image that shows his holster.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked one up from mantheline.com.

Well made. Natural untanned leather in the M3 configuration.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, this answers a question for me.  I have an old M7 holster that I've never worn, because I didn't know the proper method.  Now I know!
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So this below is totally wrong or a matter of preference?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41g1c-IWZmL._AC_UL320_SR318,320_.jpg

I will add that my dad was in the military (got sent to Germany to do boarder patrol during Vietnam by the grace of God) and he had it setup like this picture. Wearing it like this doesn't seem exactly right. My dad drank a lot in those days and may not remember some things very well (it took me a while to convince him it was really called a "hasty sling" and that there wasn't some dude out there named Billy Bob Hasting's who invented the "Hasting's sling").
View Quote

That way is my preference.

I may be wrong, however.  If I am, some one can correct me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#9]
WWII officer (Colonel) with M7 shoulder holster worn on left shoulder.
(FYI:   Lauterbach, Germany  9 March 1945  (Left) Maj. Gen. Frank W. Milburn, C.G. XXI Corps; (Center) Col. Charles B. McClelland, O.O. of the 101st Cav. Recon. GP.; and (Right)  Major E. Griest, the General's Aide-de-Camp leave the 101st Cav. Recon. Group C.P. )
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#10]
There is no "right" or "wrong" way to wear the M3 or M7.  Whatever works for you is right.
No one was going to come up and order you to change the way you were using it.

This reminds me of an old cartoon from WWII.
Two dirty Willie and Joe type soldiers are standing around talking and one says:
"I don't care what you think, in this man's army the canteen is worn on the LEFT hip".
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you watch the movie Operation Dumbo Drop you will see Dennis Leary wear his M7 / M9 yet a 3rd way. I looked for a pic online but cant find a image that shows his holster.
View Quote

http://cdn.moviestillsdb.com/sm/e955103cf406abd8979babe4be96ca8f/operation-dumbo-drop.jpg
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cdn.moviestillsdb.com/sm/e955103cf406abd8979babe4be96ca8f/operation-dumbo-drop.jpg

Nice watch Liotta
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Tried it out for a bit today on same shoulder side and it kept slipping off. I might not have it adjusted exactly right yet though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WWII officer (Colonel) with shoulder holster worn on left shoulder.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh91/samplejjs/WWII%20Officers_1.jpg
View Quote

I'm betting he never had to actually use the gun. Looks like it would have been a bitch to draw
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:57:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm betting he never had to actually use the gun. Looks like it would have been a bitch to draw
View Quote

My initial thought as well, then I thought, might want it high if riding around in a vehicle a lot.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:11:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/pSwa9v" target="_blank">https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8663/15667914593_0f2bb214be_b.jpg</a>20150115_110233 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
View Quote

This is exactly what mine looks like.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I love tanker holsters.  They are not as fast as a belt holster to be sure, but the ease and comfort of carry with a larger gun when doing other physical tasks makes it a great tradeoff IMO.

Currently I have an El Paso Saddlery 1942 Tanker Holster for my 4" GP100.  It makes that big of piece of steel carry easily. This is probably more of an M3 style. El Paso Saddlery is some fine leather.

If you want a cheap rugged utilitarian holster I've used the Blackhawk chest holster with great success.  It has D-rings all around the holster so you can adjust the mounting point of the straps if need be.  It looks to be a little more along the vein of the M7 holster.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top