Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2017 7:46:21 AM EDT
Guys want to change out grips on an series 80 Government  model stainless . Just mostly range and plinking . I'm thinking no more than medium texture . Don't want to feel like I'm holding nails . I have small enough hands. Does the mag release groove make a real difference. The pistol has wrap around at the this time . Also with a Standard length trigger pad. The pistol doesn't fit me well  at this time . But I'm working on it ...TIA WarDawg
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:39:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Aliens

If you want really great purchase, Operator II
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#2]
There double diamonds would probably suit your needs pretty well and a classic design that will go good with the series 80 stainless. The super scoop makes a bigger difference in being able to reach the mag release over the standard scoop but not really very classic looking.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two sets of VZ grips. I have the 320S, in blasted black canvas I think. My buddy gave them to me with no packaging so I'm not sure. They are almost too slick and I rough them up with sand paper every year or so. The other set is the Frag in G10. They are good but a little rougher than I would like for concealed carry. Granted, I don't carry that pistol much. I'm sure they'd smooth out a little if I carried it more. Both sets have the thumb notch and are on 1911's with extended mag releases. This combo has caused some issues in a couple holsters. In my Crossbreed Supertuck, the mag release button was depressed by the holster, releasing the mag just enough that it wouldn't feed, but didn't fall out.

This didn't happen with a 1911 that has a standard mag release and factory grips. I trimmed the leather on the back of the Supertuck and it's fine now. I actually wish I wouldn't have gotten the thumb notch, as I feel it's too large and deep. I could just as easily have used my Dremel to put a smaller thumb notch in them and saved $4. I have been thinking about getting a set of 320s in G10, as I think they wouldn't get worn smooth as easily.

eta: I don't have small hands and don't "need" the thumb notch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup, the Operator II is the cream of the crop and the best value since the mag release cut comes standard.  You will not be sorry!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, the "super scoop" is great IMO.

And when VZ says "aggressive ", they mean AGGRESSIVE!

If you don't want "rough" I would go with "medium" or less.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I like double diamonds with the super scoop cut.  

I put a dab of loctite on the grips screws, but some people use o-rings.

Magpul grips will do the same for less money.  If you have a smaller grips you can use the vz thin grips (may need new bushings) but they do not support the plunger tube.  VZ grips are often for sale on Amazon, VZ specials +seasonal sales and here in the exchange.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This is truth.  My Gunners are a little tough on the hands after a long day of shooting and would be very, very tough on the love handles IWB.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I have some 320's, aliens and two sets of double diamonds.  The 320's were too slick so they are sitting in the parts bin.  The aliens are my favorite and I use them on my off duty firearm.  The double diamonds are nice but the older ones, about 3 years old,  were pretty slick.  The newer ones, maybe a year now, were more aggressive but not uncomfortable.  I use the O rings to keep them tight.  I had the scoop on the older set of double diamonds but I have pretty large hands so it didn't make that much of a difference for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#9]
VZ Double Diamonds are my choice. Classic look and good grip.

Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I would strongly advise against the VZ operator II's if you don't want abrasive grip texture, OP.

If you want something mild i'd look at another one of their lines. The "frags" seem to be well liked.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
use some sandpaper if it is too rough
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I just put some Simonich Gunners with the regular safety cut on my carry gun.  They're fantastic, I don't know why it took me so long to finally get some.  My holster is full coverage so I don't have any skin contact or I'm pretty sure it would tear me up but good.  My draw is significantly better now, no rotating in the hand as I come on target.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the VZ Operators.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I have recently bought a couple pair of the ETCs and I like them a lot. I also have a pair of 320s that are nice, these are just range toys, I don't plan to carry them and just bought the grips to upgrade IMO from the standard factory grips.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Guys want to change out grips on an series 80 Government  model stainless . Just mostly range and plinking . I'm thinking no more than medium texture . Don't want to feel like I'm holding nails . I have small enough hands. Does the mag release groove make a real difference. The pistol has wrap around at the this time . Also with a Standard length trigger pad. The pistol doesn't fit me well  at this time . But I'm working on it ...TIA WarDawg
View Quote
Before you buy VZ Grips, take a look at LOK Grips.  LOK's (depending on which gun) are very similar in design and quality, but typically about $20.00 less per pair, and LOK's customer service is straight up world class!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#16]
These are the frags with a thumb scoop.  I have pretty big paws, and still like the scoop.  This is enough texture for me.

And I never locktite mine in, well I did once.  Ruined a couple bushings pulling the grips off later.  The o ring thing works well.

Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not too aggressive for me, but Diamondbacks may be more than the OP was looking for.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:48:00 AM EDT
[#18]
VZ has both standard and thin grips. If you have smaller hands check out the thin grips. I found that for my hands the thin grips just feels better than standard size. I have VZ thin grips on the three 1911s I have.  If you find you like the thin grips you have to change the bushings with the thin grips. VZ would have everything you would need, but you could also get them elsewhere and safe a few dollars. Good luck in your search.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:11:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Out of the few VZ's I've tried I like double diamonds the best. The diamondbacks are nice as well but I didn't care for the Alien's.  I think they're one of the best looking designs but I hated the vertical ridges.  Something about them just bugged me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I picked up a set of Simonich gunners yesterday at the VZ shop. A few swipes of 600 grit and they don't feel so rough. Perfect texture now. Oh these had the super scoop too. I like it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#21]
For medium, I second the Aliens. Get the slim version and you will be happy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I have somewhat small/average sized hands and I went with the VZ black double diamonds with the super scoop.  I still have to move my hand a little to get to the mag release but its better than the stock grips.  

I used a little blue Loctite on the screws because o-rings cause the screws to stick up above the grips.  The finish will wear off them much faster that way.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top