Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2010 7:12:20 PM EDT
Hello 1911 custom owners..

Getting a custom 1911 and trying to decide whether to go with a bull barrel or standard NM with bushing barrel in .45acp.
Have been told that bull barrel is a good all around durable barrel and tight group shots. Was told with the standard NM barrels with bushings, the bushings will wear out after a period of time, they also have great group shots. Not sure what life span is on bushing barrels. Trying to getting input from others out there before I put my  order in for my custom 1911. I am going with Wilson Combat CQB Elite. Was told bull barrel has just slightly a little more weight and gives the 1911 a nice balance. Also was told with the bull barrel it is easier to shoot. Eventually once I get I will post. Also thinking about going with black slide and green frame but have also had thoughts about having in all black finish. Also going with standard government model guide rod. I am getting my 1911 for tactical/self-defense purposes.

Any suggestions or feeback is welcome from all you custom 1911 owners.

Thanks,
CLH
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I would get a barrel bushing gun in the standard length. i have a bull barrel Kimber and bushing Ed Brown. the bull barrel is a pain in the ass to take down, not hard to do, just not as easy as the bushing. that and I like the way the bushing looks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, not even a contest, bushing all the way.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can afford enough ammo to wear out a bushing, you can afford to have a spare bushing fitted when they build your gun.

Link Posted: 3/17/2010 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Also thinking about going with black slide and green frame but have also had thoughts about having in all black finish.

I had the same issue,so i bought my CQB in Black/Green  and a Protector in all black.
My Protector has a full length guide rod,my CQB has the standard GI guide rod.Both are as accurate,have no issues of anykind with either.If i had a preference,id go with the standard GI guide rod,as for Bull barrel or Bushing barrel....id have to say Bushing Barrel all day long ! I doubt you'll ever wear the bushing out on a 1911 of this level.Ive seen the rifling inside a barrel wear out before  a bushing has worn out in gun with 40,000 + rounds fired thru....

Enjoy your new toy !
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 2:43:00 AM EDT
[#5]
You can't get the GI recoil system with a bull barrel. Both have there uses, if your dead set on a USGI recoil system then your choice has been made.

If you want to get into IDPA or USPSA SS you can't use a bull barrel. You can use a bull barrel in USPSA Ltd10.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 6:03:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Like the eternally debated GI spring guide/FLGR thread, the bull/bushing ends the same way, nobody can sucessfully advocate one to the exclusion of the other. Bulls have potential to be more accurate than bushings, which is counteracted by the fact that a real professional bushing fit can run the weapon as accurately. Only the bushing wears along with the barrel such guns whereas the bull reacts against the slide, but aside from the amount of ammo neccessary to do this (if you can afford X rounds, you can afford to replace Y argument) One can easily fit an oversize bull and the problem is solved. It can all go back and forth for a while. There are 2 indisputable advantages of bulls, those being fewer parts to break at a critical moment and more weight at the nose than a bushing barrel, but the former is a very remote possibility, and the latter can probably be compensated with the addition of a heavier FLGR if necessary.

I have both. I like both. The Bull barrel really generates praise from me on my 4" compact, which makes perceived recoil more akin to a 4.25 full-frame Commander, rather than a 3.5" compact Officer. I wouldn't be averse to one on a 5" .45, but I probabably wouldn't go out and buy/build a 5" bull either. Now in 10mm, we'd probably have a different story. Pick whichever you prefer. Each has its own advantages.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 6:09:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Pros for bull barrel
slightly better accuracy
muzzle weight

Cons
harder to disassemble requires tool
heavier carry pistol

Personally I would recommend getting the standard barrel and bushing makes disassembly much easier, lighter pistol, better looking also, the accuracy difference is very small if any.  But if you do want the bull barrel and you are going for the most accurate setup possible then go for it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 6:21:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cons

I don't know what Bulls are out there which require tools for takedown, but bulls generally do NOT require any tool for takedown unless one choses to go with a two-pice FLGR. If I went with a GI spring guide in my CQB Compact (leaving a hole in the reverse plug) I would require no tools whatsoever for disassembly. I also believe the Bull barrel (those that don't have these tool requirements that I have no awareness of, at least) are as easy or even easier to disassemble. A new Baer is a colossal bitch to take down. Also the spring plug launch can be a pain to locate, and even hazardous with heavy springs. The bull simply requires "officer" stripping, and you're done.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll take this degree of accuracy from a bushing barrel all day long. Plus it can be easily replaced if it happens to wear out. I think once you wear out a bull barrel you need to go to an oversize one since you've increased tolerances in the slide.

Link Posted: 3/18/2010 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cons

I don't know what Bulls are out there which require tools for takedown, but bulls generally do NOT require any tool for takedown unless one choses to go with a two-pice FLGR. If I went with a GI spring guide in my CQB Compact (leaving a hole in the reverse plug) I would require no tools whatsoever for disassembly. I also believe the Bull barrel (those that don't have these tool requirements that I have no awareness of, at least) are as easy or even easier to disassemble. A new Baer is a colossal bitch to take down. Also the spring plug launch can be a pain to locate, and even hazardous with heavy springs. The bull simply requires "officer" stripping, and you're done.

Watch Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYiyri3VUz0
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#11]

I watched it against my better instinct to hit stop the moment I read "guide rod" in the title. It does appear that the particular reverse plug had a tool for disassembly but I can't be sure whether that has to do with the guide rod or not. Regardless, one can get a tool-free reverse spring plug and GI spring guide. As soon as a FLGR is thrown in the equation all objectivity is lost regarding the issue, though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Getting a custom 1911 and trying to decide whether to go with a bull barrel or standard NM with bushing barrel in .45acp

Since you asked...here's another vote for a fitted barrel/bushing.  Reasons to follow...

Have been told that bull barrel is a good all around durable barrel and tight group shots.

What's the purpose of this weapon?  Bullseye?  EDC?  Steel?  Your custom 1911 should match it's purpose.  If it's an EDC, a tightly fitted match gun would probably not be my first choice.  I'm not interested in a gun that can shoot .5" at 25 yards.  I'm interested in a gun that will go bang every time, all the time.

Was told with the standard NM barrels with bushings, the bushings will wear out after a period of time, they also have great group shots. Not sure what life span is on bushing barrels.

Anything mechanical will have wear.  You can't get around it, that's why you inspect your weapon periodically, replace worn parts, and service it.  Kinda like your car.  As for lifespan...there is not fixed number (ie. 5.6 years or 25,000 rounds).  A lot depends on how it's fitted initially and who did the fitting.  

Was told bull barrel has just slightly a little more weight and gives the 1911 a nice balance. Also was told with the bull barrel it is easier to shoot.

The 1911 is one of the best pointing and well balanced handgun ever created.  There's a reason why this platform is approaching 100 years.  It is a very easy handgun to shoot, regardless of the "bull barrel", if your mechanics are sound.

Also thinking about going with black slide and green frame but have also had thoughts about having in all black finish. Also going with standard government model guide rod. I am getting my 1911 for tactical/self-defense purposes.

Color should be the last thing on your list

The "standard government model" has no guide rod.  If you're talking about a full length guide rod, I would strongly recommend against it, especially if you're choosing a 1911 for defense.  If you have to manipulate the slide with one hand, unless you have a sight that you can index, the FLGR will make that very difficult.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top