Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2013 4:23:28 AM EDT
So after scouring threads about plate carriers and load outs, i couldnt help but see how people have mostly "armed to the teeth" type of set ups.  
My main use for my PC will be to protect me while I figure out how to avoid the situation.  In a SHTF type of scenario, I see no good outcome for me if I get in a situation where I need 6+ Mags.

That being said I'm setting mine up with 2 mags on the PC and 2 more on my belt.  

Will have pics to add soon but does anyone else carry a lighter fighting load on their PC?
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 4:43:18 AM EDT
[#1]
as much as I hate to admit it, when the time comes to put on armor its time to fight or die
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 5:21:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
as much as I hate to admit it, when the time comes to put on armor its time to fight or die

Not being overly dramatic, but that response just gave me chills.  I never would have even considered buying armor 3 months ago.

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 6:12:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not being overly dramatic, but that response just gave me chills.  I never would have even considered buying armor 3 months ago.

Owning armor is similar to owning a gun, buying it and having it sit in the closet doesnt make you safer, you have to be willing to use it if the situation arises, otherwise its just a waste of money.

I personally never got into low profile/minimalist plate carriers. Sure they work great if youre LE and you already have soft armor on and just want something in your trunk you can toss on for additional rifle protection, but for me either i have a reason to be wearing it or i dont, there is no inbetween, its not like i want a light version of my battle armor to go water the garden in or take the dog for a walk. if someones breaking into my house or riots are consuming my neighborhood i want all the armor i can get.

I agree with you on the 6 mags part, i dont see a situation where i would ever need 6 mags while defending my home which is why i only carry 3. But i do have a 6 mag pouch for when i go to the range, got to look like a manly man. I also add a drop pouch, over sized knife and a supply pouch...aka candy bar holder
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I recently went from 8 mags down to 4, to lighten the carrier.

I used to look at my rig as mostly a fun hobby. These days, I look at it very differently, and take it very serious. I have started using it during physical exercise and doing general drills, to figure out what works and doesn't. Since starting that process, I have literally changed everything about the setup.

It's funny how quickly you discover stuff like "My belt will pop completely off if I pull on it a certain way" or "I can't get the magazines out of the left pouch because the radio pouch is too close to it" and so on.

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I recently went from 8 mags down to 4, to lighten the carrier.

I used to look at my rig as mostly a fun hobby. These days, I look at it very differently, and take it very serious. I have started using it during physical exercise and doing general drills, to figure out what works and doesn't. Since starting that process, I have literally changed everything about the setup.

It's funny how quickly you discover stuff like "My belt will pop completely off if I pull on it a certain way" or "I can't get the magazines out of the left pouch because the radio pouch is too close to it" and so on.

This, absolutely. Train as you fight

I have 4 mags on my PC, 2 on my warbelt and can carry extra in the assault pack.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy the banshee and get your mag pouches from HSGI.  Minimalist to me is 3 double tacos and a IFAK.  Only put shit on it you're gonna use.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 7:18:34 AM EDT
[#7]
My idea of a basic fighting plate carrier.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:45:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Look at the BRIG PC from SKD.

This
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I personally never got into low profile/minimalist plate carriers. Sure they work great if youre LE and you already have soft armor on and just want something in your trunk you can toss on for additional rifle protection, but for me either i have a reason to be wearing it or i dont, there is no inbetween...

So much is based on circumstance that I don't think there is a single right answer for anything.  I can see some situations where, in a SHTF scenario, wearing full kit might actually make you a target if your appearance leads others to see you as a threat (how many times while going about our daily business do we notice and focus on people wearing 5.11 pants, safari vests, carrying bags with MOLLE etc?).  Of course, on the flip side, one might also look dangerous enough that the baddies would seek out a softer target.  It's all relative.  My personal preference is to be a wolf in sheep's clothing, rather than a wolf in wolf's clothing (or a sheep in wolf's clothing ).
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#12]
US Palm Defender with IIIa soft panels, one small Lvl III plate up front, add two mags and its close to ten pounds.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#13]
My somewhat minimal plate carrier:

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Crye Precision JPC (Jumpable Plate Carrier) concept is pretty cool. It seems like the best minimalist carrier out in the marketplace right now.

You have the option of side plates, with a mag panel already built in, and plenty of molle for other gear. Can interface with a combat belt too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top