Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2015 7:47:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Considering replacing the plastic SG shell carrier on my Rem 870 with  these. http://www.esstac.com/index.php/products/shotgun/7-round-shotgun-card

Questions:

1) Will the 7-rd card fit OK?  If marginal, is a smaller card offered by another vendor/mfr?  I don't know about the size difference between the Remmy and Mossy receivers,  but I use the 6rnd OSOE velcro-backed 12a card with absolutely NO issues on my Mossberg 590A1.

2) I have some Industrial grade sticky back Velcro of the proper width, both hook and loop.  Will this serve? Yes. Put it on and let it sit overnight.

3) Pouches.  Looks like one card will fit well into a single 30-rd AR mag pouch, and two into a double AR mag pouch.  Is this correct?  For those that have used these cards in both types of pouches, is the single preferred, or does the double pouch work without problems when loaded with two cards?  I have plenty of both types of pouches, FWIW. I use the actual 8rnd pull-out cards designed for this purpose, not the velcro-backed ones, but it will work with the way you describe, as long as the cards are positioned with the velcro sides touching.

4) I presume the empty cards are stuffed into a pocket, inside a jacket, or a dump pouch.  Am I correct on this? Yep.

Lastly, are there any tips or tricks associated with using these things?  Any potential drawbacks?  How long does the elastic last if the cards are kept "loaded"?  How long does the elastic last under constant usage?  Are there any better systems available?  How many SG rounds are usually carried, and what is the number of each type (pellet, slug, specialty)?  SG ammo gets heavy pretty fast. Mine are going strong at 3+ years. I don't know if any other brand is better or worse, but SOE gear is overbuilt in the first place....I am assuming Esstac is too. I carry a reload of 12 in a belt mounted pouch, and 6 on the receiver, plus the fully loaded weapon. I have the cards for use in mag pouches, as well, though I seldom use them because I intend to get the SOE shotgun rig and use it as a dedicated scatter-gun rig.

TIA, raf

View Quote

Answers in red, boss man.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I had some on my M-500A forever, and I never had any issues with them. The 7-round version was about a half inch too long, but Esstac recently started making a 5-round version:

http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Shotgun-Card-5-Round-p/ess.125.htm

They do fit perfectly in a single AR mag pouch, I use them with HSGI tacos. While a double mag pouch will fit 2, they will have a tendency to stick to eachother if there isn't any kind of divider in the pouch.

The industrial velcro is plenty to hold the cards on the receiver, and I don't see the elastic wearing out with reasonable use.

Two in the middle double mag pouch:

Home defense set-up:

Mossberg 500A with cards in Tacos:

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]
We need Tron Tac hypalon shotgun cards.

Bring forth the tactical goodness.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the Esstac and the ones from 3-gun gear. The 3-gun gear ones are better quality. I'd look at those.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:26:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Some tips on putting the velcro on your shotgun.

Shotgun Velcro Shotshell Tray How To
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:33:35 AM EDT
[#6]
If the 7rd doesn't fit, you can cut the last loop off. Thats what I did on my cheap Pardner 870 knockoff

Esstac also makes a 5rd

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:37:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Can't go wrong raf.  I have some of the first ones he made and as well Stu talked me into modding my 590A1 to take velcro on the receiver to accommodate his cards.  I'm glad I did, they are are great setup.  The cards also fit nicely into most AR pouches and are good for dropping into a cargo or back poocket.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I run the Esstac 7 rounders on my 500 with no fit issues.  The only issue that I have had is if you carry rounds brass side down they have a tendency to fall out after repeated firing.  As far a carrying in double mag pouches I found it works better by placing the velcro sides away from each other.  This also makes it easier to grab just one pull tab.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I run the Esstac 7 rounders on my 500 with no fit issues.  The only issue that I have had is if you carry rounds brass side down they have a tendency to fall out after repeated firing.  As far a carrying in double mag pouches I found it works better by placing the velcro sides away from each other.  This also makes it easier to grab just one pull tab.
View Quote

That is the problem with the Esstac. The 3gungear ones are much thicker and the rounds don't fall out. Just a higher quality product.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Now, this is interesting, and a quantifiable difference between the two cards.  Now leaning towards the 3 Gun Gear cards.

Anyone else able to compare the two first-hand?.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the problem with the Esstac. The 3gungear ones are much thicker and the rounds don't fall out. Just a higher quality product.

Now, this is interesting, and a quantifiable difference between the two cards.  Now leaning towards the 3 Gun Gear cards.

Anyone else able to compare the two first-hand?.

lol

I've been using the ESSTACs for years, they're fine.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are they on the gun for repeated firing? You're supposed to load from them, not use them as a fashion accessory.

I don't have an issue with the esstac cards, they have exceeded my expectations.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#14]
So I was going to make a post, and post a picture.  But then I got the bright idea to actually go shoot cause shooting is fun and all that jazz.

Whats even better is totally forgetting how to run your own shotguns, fanning the trigger like a mofo and being all jittery since your a dipshit who has not eaten today and fueled solely on caffeine and nicotine(vaper as I gave up that nasty crap 1.5y ago!)  And holy crap batman! suck in that gut!!!

This video is being all fuky and may need to reupload it later.....

They fell up

The shotgun cards went through a revision 4-5y ago and now have a rubber liner inside so if your shotgun card does not and you have issues let us know and we will replace them.  We also had one batch(500) of Multicam shotgun cards that had the woven webbing that had issues, its a soft elastic that has less holding power and we quickly discontinued that in favor of the tighter printed Multicam elastic, so if you have any from that first batch we will also replace them.  If over time your elastic wears out we will replace them.

Pic of the rubber no-slip, this is also the printed MC elastic.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#15]
^That is why Esstac is awesome.^
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top