Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2015 10:56:48 PM EDT
The panels; They're all over the place, surplus, in UCP now, for like $10 each.

I just bought some via ebay.

The interior of my SUV is beige, was going to mount them in the cargo area on some Pelican rigid Molle panels.  (tried finding something like the Springtail ones that are for FJ's with no luck).

ETA: Am also planning on using them on the back row of seats.

Anyway,  I am going to try some Rustoleum sand colored Fabric Spray paint. Anybody have any experience with it?

The panels will go on the side walls of the cargo area.

I have a gunsafe on a cargo slide that takes up about half of the slide's deck. Plenty of room for clearance.

(not my pics)

Surplus UCP panel from Specialty Products.

Rustoleum Sand colored Fabric Spray Paint

Pelican Rigid Plastic Molle Panels

Inspired by: Springtail Molle Panel for FJ (not available for my SUV)

ETA

Not my vehicle, but the back looks like this.  My spare is removed and is on a rear bumper tire carrier.  Panels will go on the cargo space walls.

Vehicle in question

ETA

Cargo slide works like this one

Not my pic this is the gun safe

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I would highly recommend Krylon over rustoleum.  I haven't tried that exact paint, but I've had tons of issues with that brand.  Blotchy spray, peeling, wearing off on other items ect.

I'm interested to see how your project turns out.  Take lots of pics of the process.  I might try something similar myself.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 11:44:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice truck!

Interested in the results. I have a Springtail panel in my FJ, it's pretty handy. But it's too easy to put too much crap on that rear door.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would highly recommend Krylon over rustoleum.  I haven't tried that exact paint, but I've had tons of issues with that brand.  Blotchy spray, peeling, wearing off on other items ect.

I'm interested to see how your project turns out.  Take lots of pics of the process.  I might try something similar myself.

View Quote

Is there a Krylon fabric paint?  I didn't find one while googling.  

I Krylon'd a desert pattern Assault pack once, looked terrible.  Beyond terrible.

Was going to give the Rustoleum a try because it's specifically for fabrics.

I found some "Simply Spray" upolstery spray paint online also in "Camel".

ETA (couldn't find a kind word about this stuff in reviews anywhere)

Considered it, but the reviews were universally terrible in all applications, so I ordered the Rustoleum "Sand" instead.

We'll see.  It'll be about $14 to buy a can of paint and a panel, minus a few bucks shipping.  If it doesn't look good, won't matter much because it's going in the cargo area and I wouldn't have spent too much.

It would irriate me if they looked like shit and were in the forward passenger area, so I bought these for the back of the driver and front passenger seat:

(Relatively cheap, $40 ish per).

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Nice truck!

Interested in the results. I have a Springtail panel in my FJ, it's pretty handy. But it's too easy to put too much crap on that rear door.

View Quote

Thanks.  There are some fantastic after market accessories for the FJ.

Not so much for the Excursion.  I think the vast majority of Ex's were glorified grocery-getters/boat pullers.

Anyway, I won't be putting the panels on the door, they'll be going on the side of the cargo area and back of the second row seats.

I'm going to convert the rear barn doors to storage compartments, either one of the following two ways (haven't decided yet)

Not my pics

Either this:

Or something like one of these:

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't believe they make actual fabric spray, but I have painted some nylon with the regular.  Never have been heavy handed with it like you'd need though.  For $14 I'd say your good to use whatever.  If that Rustolems works well I'll have to try it.

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#6]
in for results
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#8]

You prob already know this but the UCP MOLLE panels attach with the p cord so the Pelican panels might be somewhat redundant.  If you attach the molle panel on the Pelican frame (or load them heavy) they tend to want to bow out from the center unless you rig them well.  Modding another attachment point in the middle can help with this though.

I took the same ebay UCP panels out of my car since I needed them to match my black seats.  I wasn't too worried about the looks.   I just don't have very aggressive window tint and the UCP's glowing hue screamed "steal me".  

I'm hoping you try the dye route since that seems to me to be the best way to achieve a deep, non flakey color change.  

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you google rit dye ucp you should find thread son dyeing army camo
View Quote

I've done the dye route.  You can go darker, but not lighter.  That's why paint is needed for this intended application.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#11]
When spray painting fabric is helps a lot to immediately scub the cloth with a bristle brush. That's how auto dealers paint headliners and cloth seats so the buyer doesn't notice. They use normal spray paint. I told a coworker he was fos when he told me that, then I noticed that the headliner of my f450 work truck looked funny and that it looked like there was peeling paint on the rear view mirror and seat belt anchor points. Sun of a bitch, the dealer spray painted it. Shouldnt have surprised me, it was "too" clean in the engine bay (massive turbo oil leak) and had fresh undercoat (rusty.)
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had good luck spray painting nylon gear.  The key is very light coats.  Very easy with just regular Krylon.  Go light and mist with numerous light coats.  Although I've never used those Pelican MOLLE panels, it would seem redundant.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The panels; They're all over the place, surplus, in UCP now, for like $10 each.

I just bought some via ebay.

The interior of my SUV is beige, was going to mount them in the cargo area on some Pelican rigid Molle panels.  (tried finding something like the Springtail ones that are for FJ's with no luck).

ETA: Am also planning on using them on the back row of seats.

Anyway,  I am going to try some Rustoleum sand colored Fabric Spray paint. Anybody have any experience with it?

The panels will go on the side walls of the cargo area.

I have a gunsafe on a cargo slide that takes up about half of the slide's deck. Plenty of room for clearance.

(not my pics)

Surplus UCP panel from Specialty Products.

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv256/sms30068/ACUMVPopen1.jpg

Rustoleum Sand colored Fabric Spray Paint

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71hXpepZgFL._SY355_.jpg

Pelican Rigid Plastic Molle Panels

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1045/1122/products/IMG_6830_grande.JPG?v=1448056510

Inspired by: Springtail Molle Panel for FJ (not available for my SUV)

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/meQ__6nP9zug7Ux4Z1FzMRg.jpg

ETA

Not my vehicle, but the back looks like this.  My spare is removed and is on a rear bumper tire carrier.  Panels will go on the cargo space walls.

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/ford/excursion/2001/oem/2001_ford_excursion_4dr-suv_limited_cargo_oem_1_500.jpg

Vehicle in question

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/toecutter_01/12294667_10205264586717740_6675065870141165238_n.jpg

ETA

Cargo slide works like this one

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/images/big_suburban01.jpg

Not my pic this is the gun safe

http://www.holderrestaurantfurniture.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/IMG_1157.JPG

View Quote

Let me know what you think of those Pelican MOLLE panels. I'm one of the owners of that company and would love to hear your thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Cajun: will do. Gonna have to wait for some decent weather before attempting, so the project is a little behind schedule

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I painted the UCP pattern panels today.  They came out better than I expected.

The tip above about using a brush and spraying in light coats, made the difference.  Thanks!

Final product

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Mounted a fire extinguisher in the cargo area

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Bolted two, double can 50 cal ammo can brackets to the top of the gun safe.  Here's one double ammo can bracket, other not shown, tie down straps came with the cans, are not shown.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Molle visor cover.  Made from a repurposed USGI Coyote colored IBA cummerbund.  $20 from a guy on ebay. Random stuff for the sake of pic

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Cargo net before I hung the panels

Cargo net after I hung the panels.  You can see the contrast where the interior of the pockets are UCP because I failed to pay attention to detail.

Still a work in progress.  Haven't even started on the rigid molle panels yet.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's the gun safe on the sliding cargo bed.  The panel extended past the slide at the extreme rear is actually part of the safe.  There is a sliding panel on the bottom of the safe.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Also primed and painted black a caged light bar for Land Rover style roof lights I'm gonna put on.  Once it's cured, I'm gonna finish it with bed liner.

Don't have any pics, but its one of these.

The cage is the same one, I'll be putting in different lights.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bolted two, double can 50 cal ammo can brackets to the top of the gun safe.  Here's one double ammo can bracket, other not shown, tie down straps came with the cans, are not shown.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/toecutter_01/IMG_1880_zps6ekvexug.jpg

View Quote

Cool project!   Where did you get the ammo can brackets?

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/toecutter_01/IMG_1880_zps6ekvexug.jpg

New surplus at www.armysurpluswarehouse.com

$24.95 ea

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#25]
hope you let the panels gas out before putting them in your car, otherwise your car is gonna smell like spraypaint for a while.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
hope you let the panels gas out before putting them in your car, otherwise your car is gonna smell like spraypaint for a while.
View Quote

Sweet. Lucy in the Sky with diamonds!

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The snozberries taste like snozberries
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top