Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2017 7:13:05 PM EDT
So I'm wanting to run an LBE type setup while hunting, kinda like the old H harness/butt pack/canteen setup.  Mostly to hold a warming layer, chow water and misc hunting stuff.  I don't like backpacks for hunting nor do I like camelbacks.  

Looking at what options are out there that wont break the bank.  I see that Velocity Systems came out with something recently but want to see what other options there are.

Looking for:

Butt pack-the the two Ive seen is the Eagle Molle butt pack and BDS/SOE butt pack

Belt-lots of choices here.  Looking at the first spear AGB belt sleeve

H-Harness-?

All the other pouches, like canteen and utility I probably have around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a hill people gear recon belt with buttpack and GP pouches when I don't want to wear a pack.

pic from HPG website.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you looked at any of the stuff made by SPOSN? The Russians have the LBE angle figured out I think.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you looked at any of the stuff made by SPOSN? The Russians have the LBE angle figured out I think.
View Quote
I haven't....is there a website or something?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I use a hill people gear recon belt with buttpack and GP pouches when I don't want to wear a pack.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/CVStoreImages/IMG_3783_1000.JPG
pic from HPG website.
View Quote
Didn't think of them....I'll check their stuff out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I use surplus LBE.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use surplus LBE.
View Quote
For just putzing around this will work.

I use a surplus us MOLLE belt. SAW pouch for binoculars and Cliff bars, misc, a side plate pouch at 6 o'clock for toilet paper, a canteen pouch for a canteen, cup, tea, lighter, a couple mag pouches for mags or clips, and a USMC Camelback for more water, gloves hat, or to strap my coat to.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I haven't....is there a website or something?
View Quote
I have ordered from these guys with great results-
Good stuff

You can get just about any kind of pouch but here is a complete rig to give you an idea-

Smersh
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Still hard to beat an LBV-88 with belt and butt pack. The SOE patrol harness/vest setup was a great updated take on the LBV setup but pricey, I think BDS still makes a version.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Given how much "modern" pouches cost, your best bet for not breaking the bank are older surplus items, which will still do the job just fine.

While more extensive than what I'd take for your scenario, this is what I use.  It's M-1967 MLCE suspenders with an ALICE pistol belt and a modified repro M1961 field pack; I also have a Camelbak integrated into it, but that can be omitted.  Canteens can be attached to the field pack or to the belt directly. There are pouches out there for loose ammo or ammo on chargers that can work on a pistol belt, or for various other items you may want separate from the field pack.  I barely have more than $100 invested in the setup pictured, minus weapons.

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#10]
So I've started to assemble things that I've had laying around.

I'll post some pics shortly....
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#12]
You might check out the Defensor Fortis rig that the Air Force issued.  Modular and comfortable to wear.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I did something like this a bit ago, just for some shiggles & because I dig the old school belt systems, but always wanted something a bit more up to date than surplus stuff that is 30 plus years old. What I came up with is this:

Gear list is this:

ATS padded war belt: You could go with the HSGI, but it costs more & the rubber seems like it would be a heat sink.

HSGI modular padded shoulder harness: I had no idea hsgi made these but they are perfect for this kind of setup.

SKD PIG sternum strap: this is another piece of semi hidden gear I don't think a lot know about or think about, it really helps keep the whole setup situated & centered.

Thats the bones of the system, from there you can add whatever pouches you like since its molle. I have some SOE gear Rallyman pouches for mags, though TT universals work well too. ATS roll up dump pouch, SOE gear buttpack, some surplus multicam canteen pouches because they are the easiest to place canteens back in, one handed. I had some Eagle canteen pouches & the elastic made it a total PITA to put a canteen back with one hand. ATS med pouch & thats about it. Easy to reconfigure, no metal clips digging into you & best of all, no slavshit, friends don't let friends buy slavshit
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/CVStoreImages/IMG_3783_1000.JPG
pic from HPG website.
View Quote
i really like that buttpack. Is there a version that doesn't cost $135?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#15]
What about using a surplus FLC and associated MOLLE or ALICE pouches?  You could even attach a MOLLE butt bag on the back.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#16]
So, I use a modified version of this of hunting.  I obviously don't run the armor hunting and I swap one of the mag pouches for a PKM 100 round that I put my snacks into.  The other get used for a box of .308 and my mini bino's.  Depending on the terrain I will swap the backpack for a smaller 12L pack that attaches to the harness.  

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#17]
The gen 1 BFG belt minus are on sale right now for 67 with the low profile suspenders
https://www.blueforcegear.com/beltminus.html
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:48:15 PM EDT
[#19]
This is a setup I was using at the range today...

Its more or less a modern version of LBE...

+ Belt
+ Suspenders
+ Magazine Pouch (Shingle)
+ Canteen Pouch (Utility / Dump / Water)
+ Knife
+ IFAK
+ Holster

IM me if you need any details on what's what.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Just my humble opinion. Been in the Army for over 25 years. The best balanced Load Bearing system I have every used is the ESSTAC LBB (Load Bearing Boar) .
Mags are internal and you can add utility pouches as you see fit around the outside. I like to keep the front low profile for Prone. I like LOW profile!

Even mounted pistol directly to it for All Army Small Arms Championship. Ran this rig for 3 years there.

Again, just my humble opinion.
cp
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just my humble opinion. Been in the Army for over 25 years. The best balanced Load Bearing system I have every used is the ESSTAC LBB (Load Bearing Boar) .
Mags are internal and you can add utility pouches as you see fit around the outside. I like to keep the front low profile for Prone. I like LOW profile!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/ESSTAC/LBB_zps54da360b.jpg

Even mounted pistol directly to it for All Army Small Arms Championship. Ran this rig for 3 years there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/Iraq%20%20Army/IMG_5935_zps4kdokoef.jpg

cp
View Quote
I would listen to this guy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why? His rig works for his needs/budget/etc... Others likely have different requirements. Take his experience into consideration by all means, but no one's opinion is gospel except that of the specific user.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not looking for a rifle set up.....no need to carry M4 mags.  Appreciate the suggestion but its not the kind of set up I need.

I'm just waiting/deciding on canteen/bottle pouches at this point.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/ESSTAC/LBB_zps54da360b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/Iraq%20%20Army/IMG_5935_zps4kdokoef.jpg

cp
View Quote
I totally agree with you regarding low pro.  I detest having stuff hanging off of me and my gear.  I keep trying to "streamline" everything and I'm just a civilian that likes to shoot at the range.  I can't imagine wearing bulky gear for a living.  Every time I see someone with a "sub-load" I chuckle because I know that guy likely hasn't been outside with it on.  Having gear banging around on you, getting in the way of shouldering your rifle, and impeding movement just plain sucks.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm not looking for a rifle set up.....no need to carry M4 mags.  Appreciate the suggestion but its not the kind of set up I need.

I'm just waiting/deciding on canteen/bottle pouches at this point.
View Quote
If you're set on a canteen (not a hydration bladder) then I'd look at a medium sized utility pouch with zipper closure.  I keep one on the back of my belt to serve multiple functions:  dump pouch or extra med supplies or extra mags or range gear (ear pro) or a 32oz nalgene.  You can see it in my picture above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top