Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2013 1:26:09 PM EDT
I'm looking at an XT-22, which I'll want to scope. The receiver is drilled and tapped, but if I use a two-piece base, the scope will have to go on just so ... not giving me much wiggle room for positioning it. Is there a one-piece rail-type mount available for it? The store where I found the rifle (Academy) didn't have anything like that ...

Thanks for any info on mounting a scope on it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been looking for something besides the dovetail mount. Weaver #12 from what I've been able to determine will work fine.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]
There are two-piece 3/8" dovetail to Picatinny mounts (maybe from UTG?), and Diversified Innovative Products (DIP) make a one piece unit that bridges the chamber cavity specifically for the Marlin rifles.  I've no experience or affiliation with either.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the XT-22 and love it. Just curious as too why a two piece setup will not work. I can't remember what rings are on mine but I have a Nikon Monarch and have plenty of forward and back movement.

ETA: I think the mounts are Warne's.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, ilovebullets, I didn't mean to imply a 2-piece wouldn't work - I just am not sure it will work with the scope I have in mind. Specifically, the Bug Buster, which is a compact scope. I'm concerned the positioning of the bases will force the scope to go on only one way, and that will leave me with the eye relief screwed up.

You've mounted a longer scope, and it appears to put the ocular bell in the right place. The shorter Bug Buster, though, will likely leave me with the bell too far away for good eye relief. In addition, the BB has only two smallish areas for the rings to attach, further limiting mounting options. That's why I think a one-piece rail (Picatinny, preferably) will allow me to move the scope forward and back for the right positioning.

This picture of a BB on my 10/22 TD shows what I mean:

ETA: Looking again at your picture, it looks like you have a one-piece continuous rail or dovetail mount (?) Or is that two separate base sections?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I see what you are saying now. Wow that scope is compact! I don't have any solution to your problem and hope you find a way to make it work. Seems like it would be hard due to the long distance where the scope mounts compared to the 10/22.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see what you are saying now. Wow that scope is compact! I don't have any solution to your problem and hope you find a way to make it work. Seems like it would be hard due to the long distance where the scope mounts compared to the 10/22.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm also admittedly a little confused. When I looked at the rifle today, I didn't notice a dovetail machined into the receiver top - just the taps for mounting bases. Looking closer at your picture, I'm wondering now if the receiver is dovetailed and you used tip-off rings. If it IS dovetailed, I guess I could also use tip-offs - the dovetail would give me more fore-and-aft mounting room to move the scope.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay, LOL. I've looked at the XT-22 owners manual online and it says all the receivers are dovetailed for tip-off rings. That  may be the answer I was looking for. Now, if the distance between where the rings have to be mounted on the Bug Buster is enough to clear the ejection port I'm okay. May have to measure and go look at the gun at the store again. Sheesh.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Alright - sorry to make this so long, but here's my dilemma: The distance between the inside edges of the rings on my Bug Buster scope is 1-1/2". With narrower rings, that could probably stretch to maybe 2".

So, my question: is a 1-1/2 to 2" gap between the rings enough to clear the ejection port of an XT-22?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not at home not to measure it but I would say 2" should. Not too sure about 1 1/2" though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:29:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I measure the bolt ejection gap at 1.56" on my XT-22.

You might investigate a 3/8 dovetail to Weaver/Picatinny rail adapter(s) on the rifle, and then a rear pointed cantilever mount with integral rings mounted on the rail.  I believe the combination may sit pretty high though.  And be more expensve than it's worth when compared to buying a new scope.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:28:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the measurements and the suggestions.

The dovetail-to-picatinny appears to be a solid rail, and I think it would interfere with ejection where it bridges the port. As noted, it would also raise the scope more.

The reason I want to use the scope I mentioned is because I already have it, and also because it's an AO scope, which is perfect for rimfire use IMO.

I guess I need to fall back and reconsider my plan.

In the meantime, you've been really helpful and I appreciate it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top