Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2015 8:51:06 PM EDT

In spite of owning one for many years, I had never seen the details of what's inside a full-auto 10/22 trigger pack until today.  Figured it was finally time to take it apart for a good cleaning and see if I could install another mag release. Gotta admit, the fear of not putting it all back together correctly was a bit nerve-wracking so I snapped a few potato-pics to help, just in case.  
The way these work, and them being modified around an existing design, is just fascinating to me.  Thought some of you may find it a bit interesting too.
Here's a standard assembly for reference:

Older pic:

Looks like the ejector (B8) has been slid/bent over a bit to accommodate the new spring.

This spring is different, as it hooks on to the modified bolt stop (Part B41 in the diagram above).
Modified B42 spring? I don't know.

Hmm, what's this?... Not sure, but it took some serious skillz to craft it. Oh, there's a serial number scribed on it too. (Auto-sear.)

The trigger and selector switch are still in the housing here:
The "leg" on the bolt stop (B41) has been removed; it's flat now and it has a slot cut in the top for the modified spring.

Everything out of the housing, except for the safety.

The curved piece, lower right, is the selector.  Slide it forward for semi, or pull it back alongside the trigger for full-auto.

The spring slides down inside this piece:

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that's a lot of parts.

I had no idea there were full-auto 10/22's. Pretty cool!
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Just an observation it has been just about 30 years since May 1986 when the law went into effect banning further manufacture of full auto "items" for civilian consumption.  In the rush to beat the ban, many things were became "machine guns".

Items other than registered receivers like that of whole gun like say Ruger 556.
Trigger packs like HK 9X Series and Uzi 10/22
Bolts like Uzi
Sear like drop in AR and and HK Sears
Side Plates for M2 or 1919

Many foreign guns due import regulations could not be imported for civilian sale, although some do exist?  So, there were many sloppy conversions done, only later to be fixed by more skilled gunsmiths...

There was fellow out east that did HK conversions (in CT IRC) that were better looking than a German Factory sales sample!
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just an observation it has been just about 30 years since May 1986 when the law went into effect banning further manufacture of full auto "items" for civilian consumption.  In the rush to beat the ban, many things became "machine guns".

Items other than registered receivers like that of whole gun like say Ruger 556.

Trigger packs like HK 9X Series and Uzi 10/22

Bolts like Uzi

Sear like drop in AR and and HK Sears

Side Plates for M2 or 1919

Many foreign guns due import regulations could not be imported for civilian sale, although some do exist?  So, there were many sloppy conversions done, only later to be fixed by more skilled gunsmiths...

There was fellow out east that did HK conversions (in CT IRC) that were better looking than a German Factory sales sample!
View Quote

I believe that.  Supposedly Norrell was visited in his shop daily by ATF agents due to the large number of conversions he registered in the weeks leading up to the cutoff date.  I've heard similar stories for numerous other components.  

Mine ran this morning but not 100%.  I'm still having extraction issues and the bolt feels like it's binding up a bit - more tweaking to follow, plus it needs a better diet than bulk-pac junk, and some of the mags have worn feed areas. The trigger pack is marked "Norrell Conversion" by S&H Arms.  They had a relationship back in the day, with S&H supplying auto-sears to John.  Based on this lawsuit, it didn't end well. Which is unfortunate - I'd love to buy that man a beer one day.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, cmon OP, give us a video or pic shooting that thing?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wow, that's a lot of parts.

I had no idea there were full-auto 10/22's. Pretty cool!
View Quote

Norell still sells a few every year, last time I checked they were 9600 bucks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

This is an old clip of someone at the range, when it had a 10" Charger barrel on it.  Osprey was there that day, at the Hernando Machine Gun Shoot.  You can burn up 50 rounds pretty quick when it's running right.  

Picture any 10/22 you've ever seen.  One of the advantages of a trigger pack is that they could be installed in it in just a few minutes (since that's the transferable, serialized part - different than what's on the guns receiver).  The current configuration of mine features an 8" WhistlePig barrel and an SRT Comanche can. It's a fun little bunny-blaster.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/parshooter/Norrell-WhistlePig-SBR-Folder_zps5e0b23a2.jpg

that is one badass looking rifle... and thanks for the informative post OP.  Your a great asset to this sub forum.

How did you mount the front light onto the stock or barrel?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
that is one badass looking rifle... and thanks for the informative post OP.  Your a great asset to this sub forum.
How did you mount the front light onto the stock or barrel?
View Quote

Well thank you, I appreciate that and am glad you found it interesting.  There really doesn't seem to be too many, if any, pics out there of the internals, at least that I could find.
The stock is a modified Choate that was chopped shorter, among other things.  I screwed up a coupla' times working on it, starting with ordering a stainless version instead of black.
The idea on the light was to get it as close to the barrel as possible with that stock and to make it rigid for the laser (which I've never used - red dot & light works better).  The rail began as a picatinny blank that was milled down by fellow member here CS223.  He Moly-Coated the metal on the stock (another Norrell product) and replaced the upper sling swivel with a Quick-Detach cup.  
He also milled the block you see, matching the dimensions of the rail.  The "underside" of the rail was milled to the same contour as a bull barrel.  I screwed up here when I was laying it out by forgetting that suppressors are typically 1". D'OH!  So it ended up a little longer than originally intended but that's fine because it's already somewhat cumbersome to hold when using those drum mags.  Any shorter and it would be a real pain to get your arm hooked around them.  WhistlePig was kind enough to do a custom-length 8.25" barrel for me, so it worked out OK.
Once CS was done with the block and rail, I used Brownell's Acraglas to fill in the tip of the stock and the hole from the sling-swivel on the grip that was removed. Acraglas was also used to install a QD sling cup on the underside of the grip.  And I took out the triangular-shaped block of material at the rear of the stock, sanded off the "Choate" logo from the grip, then painted everything but the metal.
Original rail blank:

The block he milled for the rail to rest on.  They're bolted together.

The protruding bolt-heads were filed down.

Before the tip was filled in:

Another Choate I did for a Pocket Rifle without a rail. Acraglas Gel is great for this; it's really easy to use and easy to make it look good.

QD cup installed for a sling (a LaRue in the prior pic above).

And the final product.  
The sight is an Aimpoint in a LaRue mount on a UTG rail.  Rimfire Technologies bolt handle and Volquartsen mag release.

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Thx for the info par.  I originally wanted to go the 'tactical' route w my first .22 build but slowly realized a longer range precision shooter was more practical for my needs.   I think down the road it might be fun to get into a SBR build like yours but the cost seems significantly higher w the tax forms...   Anyways, good to have the info from your build :)
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#11]
That is John Norrells design.

But not his quality.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top