Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2009 6:53:16 PM EDT
Just bought one of these rare birds today at a local shop.

Serial # in the low 100s, bright bore.

Pix this weekend.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/madsen/index.asp

Link Posted: 12/30/2009 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.

This, and other designs, got lost in the flood of cheap WWII firearms.
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#2]
These are great rifles.
They're fun to shoot, mild recoiling, and are capable of really good accuracy.  Couple that with their rarity, and you've got a nice find.
Until you get pix up, here's a few of mine....

With stock disc....and the lovely "custom" sling the seller had on the rifle.

Here's one without stock disc....these are generally the lower serial #'d ones....

Here's an advertisement from when the Madsens were originally imported....

When I took the Madsen with the disc out for a spin a couple of years ago at a public range, I had an interesting encounter.  An older gent sighting in a Remington with a scope the size of the Hubble asked how I liked my "Springfield".  I told him it was a Madsen, and that I liked it very much.  He asked where my scope was.  I told him this rifle didn't have a scope and that I was shooting targets with iron sights, as the range was only 100 yds.  He seemed incredulous that anyone would shoot at 100 yds without a scope.  He "bet" me I wouldn't even hit the target.  

I set up my rifle, loaded it with 5 rds of Korean PS75 surplus ammo, and let 5 rds fly.  I looked through my spotting scope and chuckled.  At the next break, I retrieved my target and showed the gent this group-

He promptly asked at what store he could buy one of those Colombian rifles....

I put it in the case quickly in case I was asked to repeat the grouping...

They will shoot.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 4:32:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Right on! A great story and a really great rifle! I am envious!
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone know where you can get parts for these?  My friend has one that is missing a few pieces from the bolt.
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 1/2/2010 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#7]
They are nice looking guns and I have always been intrigued by them but the look somewhat awkward to shoot. How do that shoulder and cycle compared to a Mauser?
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice!
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

They are nice looking guns and I have always been intrigued by them but the look somewhat awkward to shoot. How do that shoulder and cycle compared to a Mauser?

Recoil is mild, owing to the integral brake and rubber butt pad.

Cycling the bolt is similar to a Mauser's, however, the locking mechinism is a bit different.

They're pleasant rifles to use.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top