Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2012 1:26:05 PM EDT
Looking at buying a new Mauser.  I've got a few options.  Figured I'd see what you guys thought.  

First is an M48 from Wideners.  Love the look of the M48.  I've dealt with Wideners in the past, and have had good luck.  The only thing that sketches me out about them is the no returns policy.  That being said, the K31 I got from them was very nice.

Second is a vz. 24 from AIM.  Yeah, it'a scrubbed receiver and all, but I don't see them getting any cheaper, and I hear the Czech actions are second to none.

Third is an M24/47 from Samco.  They have them available by grade, which is nice.  Only downside I see is Samco is slower than a Peel P50 with a 300lb guy driving.

Last......and I don't really want to spend this much.....but......is a German K98 from Wideners.  Upside....it's the real deal.  Downside....not so cheap.

Ok, so there are my current thoughts.  I picked those places because I already have my C&R on file with them, so I don't have to screw around, and they all have something that fits the bill.  What do you guys think?

Link Posted: 11/10/2012 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Having owned all three... i would pick the vz 24

Quoted:
Looking at buying a new Mauser.  I've got a few options.  Figured I'd see what you guys thought.  

First is an M48 from Wideners.  Love the look of the M48.  I've dealt with Wideners in the past, and have had good luck.  The only thing that sketches me out about them is the no returns policy.  That being said, the K31 I got from them was very nice.

Second is a vz. 24 from AIM.  Yeah, it'a scrubbed receiver and all, but I don't see them getting any cheaper, and I hear the Czech actions are second to none.

Third is an M24/47 from Samco.  They have them available by grade, which is nice.  Only downside I see is Samco is slower than a Peel P50 with a 300lb guy driving.

Last......and I don't really want to spend this much.....but......is a German K98 from Wideners.  Upside....it's the real deal.  Downside....not so cheap.

Ok, so there are my current thoughts.  I picked those places because I already have my C&R on file with them, so I don't have to screw around, and they all have something that fits the bill.  What do you guys think?

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:32:17 AM EDT
[#2]
A nice 24/47 is hard to beat as they are one of the smoothest operating mil-surp Mausers you will find. They are a joy to shoot and don't cost that much. M48s are alright too.

The AIM CZs leave me a bit cold.

A K98 (even a RC) is always a good choice.

I know it's not on your list but a Argentine 1909 Calvery Carbone is the Caddy of the Mauser world. The action is buttery smooth. In fact the action is highly sought after for builds.

Privi makes the 7.65 Argy and it's no more expensive than their 8mm Mauser. It's the closest thing to a sporter you can get without Bubbaing.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 4:43:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Tagged for replies.

I'm looking at Mausers too. Not so much caught up in getting a historically significant one, just one that shoots well and that I'm not afraid to shoot. My C&R is on file  at most places (like Op)......so I'm really saving money.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I own all three and they are all equally nice and good shooters

If I were you I would just go with the cheapest rifle
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I probably should have mentioned in the first post that being a shooter is an absolute priority.  A beautiful rifle that can't hit the broad side of a barn doesn't interest me.  I already have a Turk Mauser that fits the "couldn't hit the water if it fell out of a boat" thing already.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Having owned them all, and the fact that you're looking for a shooter, I would buy the one with the best bore. That's going to be the hard part about buying blind. Otherwise, they're all equally smooth (between vz 24, 24/47 and M48). Do you have a preference for bent vs. straight bolt? That could be another determining factor.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Having owned them all, and the fact that you're looking for a shooter, I would buy the one with the best bore. That's going to be the hard part about buying blind. Otherwise, they're all equally smooth (between vz 24, 24/47 and M48). Do you have a preference for bent vs. straight bolt? That could be another determining factor.

That's one of the things that makes me want to order from Samco. They have them graded. I'd figure an exelent grade should have a nice bore. They also allow returns.

Decisions, decisions.......
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#8]
You could also patrol the EE and other trader boards for good, individual descriptions. I usually trust forum members a lot more than any vendor (not saying that vendors shouldn't be trusted, but I think you get where I'm going). Just another option.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Brazilian or Israeli
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I recommend one of these...

It's one of the smoothest and best shooting Mausers I've ever handled.  It's accuracy is on par with my Swedish Mausers, and it fires the formerly easy to find and cheap 8mm.

If I could have only one to shoot, it would be a 98/29 or an M96 Swede.

For collectibilty, It would be an all matching K98k (sniper...why not since we're making it up as we go along :-D ), but the Swedes & Persians are tough to beat for shooting purposes.  Argentines are nice too....

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I recommend one of these...

http://images46.fotki.com/v308/photos/2/28682/692291/1191955_IMG-vi.jpg
http://images31.fotki.com/v1057/photos/2/28682/692291/1191962_IMG-vi.jpg

It's one of the smoothest and best shooting Mausers I've ever handled.  It's accuracy is on par with my Swedish Mausers, and it fires the formerly easy to find and cheap 8mm.

If I could have only one to shoot, it would be a 98/29 or an M96 Swede.

For collectibilty, It would be an all matching K98k (sniper...why not since we're making it up as we go along :-D ), but the Swedes & Persians are tough to beat for shooting purposes.  Argentines are nice too....

Had a chance to get one of them at the local Dunham's a while back.

They wanted "too much" for it, but the price looks pretty good now. I really should have bought it before asking around.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Please elaborate.  I was considering getting one too.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully nothing to bad, I just bought one lol
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with them. make great shooters. I bought 4 when they first came in.. gave 3 to family
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 3:30:57 AM EDT
[#15]
If your just looking for a shooter the VZ24 is the way to go, I put a scope on the one I have. I also own all three.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:51:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with them. make great shooters. I bought 4 when they first came in.. gave 3 to family

Oh there is not a thing wrong with them as a shooter but I've seen better bores. I just don't care fror scrubbed/refurbed Mausers that much. It's more of a collector's thing.

If one wants a shooter just go for the best bore and do not buy "blind" from a distributor. You might get lucky or you might not.

Pony up the bit extra in a FTF transaction (shop, show, or private) and get a flavor of Mauser that suits you with a very good bore.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:20:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm sort of stepping all over the OP 's thread, but sounds like we're in the same boat.

I went ahead and ordered one from Aim. I've had good luck from them and this time around, I'm just going for a basic shooter. If I ever go for a real k98, I want to handle it in person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top