Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 5:35:29 PM EDT
Hello I am new here and to the 1903 Springfield rifles.  I had a Uncle pass away and his bother (my other Uncle) gave me one of his many rifles.  This was used by their father (given to him by his father) that used it for hunting.  I have been trying to figure out exactly what has been do to this rifle.  My uncle didn't clean his rifles regularly and piled them in the safe.  The bluing is worn and a couple of scratches on the barrel.  

NO RUST OR PITTING!!! Thanks the Lord!

I removed the front sight and it had the Flaming Bomb and dated '6-39'.  I looked up the serial # on the receiver and found that it was made in 1919?  Maybe I am wrong as I am new to this!  Did Springfield 'Sporterize' any of these 1903's or was this done by a gunsmith back in the day?

The scope is a Weaver 330 in a T-3 mount. Are these normal on the 1903's? The configuration is odd with the scope to the side but it works for me as I am right handed and blind in my right eye!

I plan on redoing the Bluing.   Anybody know a good place and prices for this?

Also need to find a hood for the front sight!

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
That actually looks like a really nice period sporter. I would not restore it to original, because I think there will be a market for those like there is for Newtons and Buffalos, now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:32:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Scope is worth more than the rifle...
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:44:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That actually looks like a really nice period sporter. I would not restore it to original, because I think there will be a market for those like there is for Newtons and Buffalos, now.
View Quote

Listen to this man OP .
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:32:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Leave it as is. That's a cool sporter, and once you reblue it, it'll never grow that warm, well loved patina back.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:40:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Was it common for the barrels to be swapped out?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:58:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Meh. I'm in the "Return to as Issued" crowd.

My Grandfathers '03 was in similar condition to yours, without the scope.

All I needed to do was find a period issue stock and front sight blade and redo the bluing.

I gave it to my father for fathers day and he was ecstatic.

Both he and I enjoy the Military Look of rifles.

I was able to do it for less than $250.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:15:01 AM EDT
[#7]
It is common to see barrels swapped out in the 1903 model .
You have an interesting piece with some history .
Get a copy of the book The 1903 Springfield and its variations by Joe Poyer . There are some photos of what might be your model in there .
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:06:43 AM EDT
[#8]
That's a great looking sporter. It's clearly been that way for many, many years.

I'd leave it just as it is.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

All I needed to do was find a period issue stock and front sight blade and redo the bluing.

View Quote

I was wanting to return to Mil-Spec but i like the hunting rifle look!  I was looking for one so this works for me.

Eddie
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Listen to this man OP .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Listen to this man OP .

this.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Considering the extra holes in receiver required to mount scope and Lyman 48 this is pretty much up restorable to original configuration leave as is and enjoy
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get a copy of the book The 1903 Springfield and its variations by Joe Poyer . There are some photos of what might be your model in there .
View Quote

I just ordered a copy on Ebay for $23 shipped.  Cant wait to get it!  

What is the target range of the 1903 rifles?

What ammo should I use in it?

Thanks

Eddie
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#13]
That's actually one of the better sporter jobs I've seen in a while. I wouldn't change a thing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks

Eddie
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Eddie

03 were run out to 600 yards in high power matches.  Any 30.06 ammo will work, assuming it hasn't been rechambered.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like the original 03 bbl that has been recontoured to a cleaner sporter profile, still has the anti-rotation/alignment pin slot for the 03 rear sight base & P mark, the number is maybe a heat lot.

+3 it is a fairly nicely done period sporter just leave it alone.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Looks like the original 03 bbl that has been recontoured to a cleaner sporter profile, still has the anti-rotation/alignment pin slot for the 03 rear sight base & P mark, the number is maybe a heat lot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good eye on the barrel contour
OP when you get your book check page 46 and see if your rifle is an NRA Sporter .
They had star gauged barrels with Lyman 48B rear sights . Bright bolt and contoured barrel like the one you have .
If so that is the correct configuration for that model .

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I think it looks right.  It has the exact amount of wear that it should have--well kept and well used.  Reblue it and it'll look not-right.  It's got holes in the receiver--no point in even trying to go back to GI.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks

Eddie
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Eddie

Actually, 1903 were used out to 1,000 yards.

Any .30-06 ammo is ok in your rifle.

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Scope is worth more than the rifle...
View Quote

and the rear sight is worth a pretty penny as well,

leave as is, it is a nice piece as it sits
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#20]
It's beautiful!

A great reminder of family and like it was made for you.  Although I'm not sure how that will work with keeping your left eye open or not.  Anyways.  Congratulations.  I wouldn't try to refurbish it back to military specs either.  It's too far gone (as someone said with the holes in the receiver among other things) and what you have is excellent anyways.  And as someone said, it's possible it was a sporter.  I don't know much about that though.  

And yeah, that scope is saweeeet.  I think they might have used those on some 03A4's.  I forget.  But my guess is it's worth some bucks.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#21]
A classic post-war sporter.  It's well done.  I wouldn't touch a thing and that family history makes it even more valuable in it's present condition.  It's the type of rifle I'd like to add to my collection.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I will be going to the range Saturday!
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 5:16:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

But his would need a replacement barrel with the rear sight collar.  IMHO, that's not worth doing.  As it sits it's a cool looking rifle and reminds me of what I envision as a very cool 1930-50's vintage well done conversion.   Enjoy it for what it is is my suggestion.  It's a lot nicer than a lot of sporters.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

OP when you get your book check page 46 and see if your rifle is an NRA Sporter .
They had star gauged barrels with Lyman 48B rear sights . Bright bolt and contoured barrel like the one you have .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will definitely check when I get the book in.  As far as the NRA Sporter goes that I have seen pics of, they have a Barrel band and from what I read they were only offered from 1924-1938.  My barrel is dated 1939.  I could be wrong!  This has been a fun rifle to research.  I have learned more about the 1903 in the past few days then I ever thought I would!  

I feel like I have gotten closer more personal with this rifle than any AR15 I have ever built!

Eddie
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#25]
It isn't a NRA sporter.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It isn't a NRA sporter.
View Quote

Thats what I thought!  Besides the NRA sporters were marked i think around the Trigger guard area.  Anyhow I am happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Is the barrel Star gauged
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#28]
There are no markings on the muzzle!
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a strong suspicion it is. The A/#### shown in one of the photos bears a striking resemblence to a Star Gauge number. Loose Star Gauged barrels were sold through the DCM.

OP,
Have you had it out of the stock yet? Are there any other numbers on the barrel?
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have a strong suspicion it is. The A/#### shown in one of the photos bears a striking resemblence to a Star Gauge number. Loose Star Gauged barrels were sold through the DCM.

OP,
Have you had it out of the stock yet? Are there any other numbers on the barrel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP,

I had it off and do not remeber any.  I will check tomorrow after work.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

OP,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP,

Checked there were no other markings on the barrel.

There were other marking under the reciever

Link Posted: 11/1/2013 7:11:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

OP,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP,

Checked there were no other markings on the barrel.

There were other marking under the reciever

Link Posted: 11/1/2013 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Possible to get a better pic of the other numbers on the bbl?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

As good as I can get with phone

Link Posted: 11/1/2013 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s826.photobucket.com/user/fasteddiespumping/media/IMG_20131101_112926_875.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz185/fasteddiespumping/IMG_20131101_112926_875.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s826.photobucket.com/user/fasteddiespumping/media/IMG_20131101_112926_875.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz185/fasteddiespumping/IMG_20131101_112926_875.jpg</a>

That is indeed a Star Gauge number. When the barrel was originally sold there would have been a card included with all the pertinant info. That barrel would have been parkerized originally. When the rifle was built the smith buffed off all the ugly green park, and probably the steel lot code, and then blued it. I'd wager the crown is nice and smooth as well. The smith probably redressed the crown as well and that's where the star on the muzzle went. As these were "military" barrels the metal finish was functional and I believe they needed to be a bit coarse for the park to take. A good light and maganifying glass might reveal ghosts of the markings removed.

The markings on the receiver are the various subinspector marks.

Cool find.

Just to reitterate...I would leave it as it is and not refinish or attempt to restore..
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#36]
You lucky son-of-a-gun .
Let us know how she shoots
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#37]
There is a very faint mark here!I

I have not cleaned it yet!

This is clean

Link Posted: 11/1/2013 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#38]
So what is the plus side of having a Star Guaged barrel?

Eddie
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Are Star Gauge Barrels worth more?

Eddie
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Eddie
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:06:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eddie

Yes

Thats what I tought.  Its a great setup.

Eddie
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Eddie
View Quote

All the Star Gauge means is it was tested. When it was sold it had a card with it that had the star gauge measurements. Were it in it's original condition, yes, it would be worth more.

Here are a couple pictures I pulled from the net to show the normal finish and crown. You can see from the different crown on your rifle why there is no star on the muzzle

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

All the Star Gauge means is it was tested. When it was sold it had a card with it that had the star gauge measurements. Were it in it's original condition, yes, it would be worth more.

Here are a couple pictures I pulled from the net to show the normal finish and crown. You can see from the different crown on your rifle why there is no star on the muzzle

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/dracster/StarGaugenumber_zps30186312.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/dracster/Starmuzzle_zps7ac4d858.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eddie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/dracster/StarGaugenumber_zps30186312.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/dracster/Starmuzzle_zps7ac4d858.jpg

Ok now I see.  I am waiting on my Joe Poyer 1903 book to get here.

Thanks

Eddie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top