Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2011 7:54:19 PM EDT
Since they were black powder, I'm hoping this is the place for a little help for a friend. He's an author and wants to avoid making Hollywood mistakes in his work, and since I'm the only gun guy he knows, he's asking me about this stuff. He's Air Force (so he didn't do much shooting when he was in) and his book is about a Vietnam era fighter pilot.

Does anyone know what rifle Chief Crazy Horse had? I know Sitting Bull had that 1866 Winchester, but my friend seems to believe Crazy Horse had a Henry. I think he'd also like to know a bit about the evolution from Henry in 1860 to the mdl 94. Besides the forestock (forend?), the loading mechanism, and being able to handle the longer .30-30 instead of the stubby .44 rimfire, what changed over the years?

Any info you know would be appreciated, it'd be nice if we can keep him from using a clip in an M16 and cocking the hammer after working the lever on a Henry/Winchester.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Since they were black powder, I'm hoping this is the place for a little help for a friend. He's an author and wants to avoid making Hollywood mistakes in his work, and since I'm the only gun guy he knows, he's asking me about this stuff. He's Air Force (so he didn't do much shooting when he was in) and his book is about a Vietnam era fighter pilot.

Does anyone know what rifle Chief Crazy Horse had? I can't find any pics where he is holding a rifle.  You have any evidence to work with?  I know Sitting Bull had that 1866 Winchester, but my friend seems to believe Crazy Horse had a Henry. I think he'd also like to know a bit about the evolution from Henry in 1860 to the mdl 94. Besides the forestock (forend?), the loading mechanism, and being able to handle the longer .30-30 instead of the stubby .44 rimfire, what changed over the years?  Everything changed from 1860 -1894 several times.  Totally different concepts in design doing the same thing but in a more efficient package with the '94  The best way to educate yourself would be to go handle some or if you can't do that study some cutaways or parts diagrams online.

Any info you know would be appreciated, it'd be nice if we can keep him from using a clip in an M16 and cocking the hammer after working the lever on a Henry/Winchester.

Thanks

1873 cutaway.  Very similar to the 1860 and 1876.  The difference being in the sizes of the cartridges they chamber.

1894 cutaway.

In the middle there was the 1886 and 1892 which are similar except for the size of the cartridges they chamber.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I recommend the book "Son of the Morning Star: Custer and the Little Big Horn" by Evan S. Connell for accounts of what firearms the Lakota had, but Crazy Horse was a General, might have just carried a decorated spear.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]
There are NO documented, authenticated pictures of Crazy Horse.

There is a reference in the historical record by a civilian noting that Crazy Horse was seen carrying a "needle rifle" which was a term used to describe the Springfield Trapdoor rifles during the old days, what model and caliber is not known.

It has also noted that Crazy Horse tended to be something of a traditionalist who tended to favor the bow and scalping knife to the white mans technology.

Crazy Horse was shot in the face by another Indian in a dispute over a woman.
The gun used was noted as an 1860 Army revolver and he survived with a scarred face and even meaner disposition.

I suggest you look for a book titled "Crazy Horse and Custer" which delves into the lives and deaths of both men.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top