Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2008 8:24:51 AM EDT
Has anyone done this with either of these rifles?
Pics or relevant  info please.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Mini-14 SBR ??  

Do a GOOGLE for the AC-556 Ruger, as 1 of the models came from factory with a 12" ?? barrel I think it was...

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mini-14 SBR ??  

Do a GOOGLE for the AC-556 Ruger, as 1 of the models came from factory with a 12" ?? barrel I think it was...

world.guns.ru/assault/mini14ac556f2.jpg
world.guns.ru/assault/mini14ac556f1.jpg

it's a MG, not a SBR.

i'm not up on my AC556/mini14 parts compatibility, but it seems reasonable that the barrel, stock and other required parts from one would fit the other.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is one I saw at a local "fun" show:

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no need to SBR a mini-14

Take a GB model with the bayonet lug and flash hider. Cut and thread the barrel so that the flash hider touches the front sight when snug and pin/weld it. The OAL with be 16" with a 14.5 " barrel. The twist rate on most GB's are 1/7. so muzzle velcoity will not suffer much and you dont have to pay for a tax stamp. A bayonet will modified to fit.

THe gun will probally be more accurate when hot. Less spagetti noodle barrel effect.

Those folding stocks are nice, but having to constanlty tighten the grip and metal was annoying.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen Yugo SKS rifles that have had their barrels shortened.  Usually, the gas port has to be re-drilled in order to get them to cycle reliably.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one.  factory sidefolder I had cut down to 13".
also had a suppressor custom made for it.

at present, has an amega rail on it with integral ar15 style sight post (difficult to see, but visible barely in second pic).  I had an armsroom front sight gas block on it and wasnt a huge fan (mostly due to the sight itself which could be changed out).  looking for a ac556 front sight, but those are truly hens teeth.

I love the little rifle, mostly because everyone has an SBR'ed ar15 (as do I), but few have something different....

more pics via email if you're thinking about doing it.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have one.  factory sidefolder I had cut down to 13".
also had a suppressor custom made for it.

at present, has an amega rail on it with integral ar15 style sight post (difficult to see, but visible barely in second pic).  I had an armsroom front sight gas block on it and wasnt a huge fan (mostly due to the sight itself which could be changed out).  looking for a ac556 front sight, but those are truly hens teeth.

I love the little rifle, mostly because everyone has an SBR'ed ar15 (as do I), but few have something different....

more pics via email if you're thinking about doing it.

i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/Buffdragon/DSC054501.jpg
i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/Buffdragon/DSC054451.jpg

Now that is nice!

thank you sir!

the other folder you're talking about was in the EE some months ago.  the guy selling was only about an hour south of me and I strongly considered buying it, knowing how much money I have in mine versus what he was selling his for.  think I even made an offer.

that damn front site alone is worth $200.  one came for sale a while back and I scoffed (it was also blued).  now I'm kicking myself for not buying it.

problem with Ruger is that you cant call them and ask for a part.  you have to have the gun it matches (via serial number).  even then, who knows.  I've offered a factory mag ($100 value) to anyone that could get me one for their trouble, plus paying for the site itself.  never a taker.
and Ruger's attitude has also turned a lot of people off their product.
example, I cant buy a firing pin.  have to send mine in to be "fitted" etc.  then they're probably have a heart attack and "make" me buy a new barrel from them.....

ETA: I do wish it had the 3 position giggle switch on the back though...
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
then they're probably have a heart attack and "make" me buy a new barrel from them.....

If they treat them like their pistols that is exactly what they would do.

We sent in a customers Super Blackhawk(I think) that had been shortened and magnaported. They told him they would have to put a new barrel on it if they were going to work on it.

Part of me understands but I think the liability scare gets out of hand sometimes
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
then they're probably have a heart attack and "make" me buy a new barrel from them.....

If they treat them like their pistols that is exactly what they would do.

We sent in a customers Super Blackhawk(I think) that had been shortened and magnaported. They told him they would have to put a new barrel on it if they were going to work on it.

Part of me understands but I think the liability scare gets out of hand sometimes

there's a gentleman on the perfectunion board that broke his firing pin (on a cut down mini, 16") that sent in to Ruger.  they told him he needed at $350 barrel before they'd touch it.  this was in July of this year.

I can understand maybe being leary of working on a NFA piece now (like mine) but a "legal" 16" barrel?  that's just dumb.

FWIW, I took the rail off mine last night and put back on the armsroom front sight (its kinda ac556 lookin) and factory black plastic handguard.
when I have an ac556 front sight on it, it'll be "done"

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:18:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can understand maybe being leary of working on a NFA piece now (like mine) but a "legal" 16" barrel?  that's just dumb.

I have been told by a higher-up at Ruger that the policy was set by the company lawyers: Due to product liability reasons, they will only work on a firearm that is to factory spec and configured the way it first shipped. That way, they cannot later be held legally responsible for failures due to modifications or aftermarket parts, and returning a repaired firearm to the owner confers a legal liability for its overall safety as re-shipped.

Ruger has been paranoid about lawsuits ever since they had to recall the early Blackhawks in the early 1960's for the lockwork safety fix.

Ruger's just got some paranoid people I think.  correct me if I'm wrong, but Bill Ruger himself is against high capacity magazines, hence why 30s dont exist any more.
thanks for nuthin

I have an old school bearcat (think that's the name of the little sixgun?)
they should be much more worried about that thing....  (which they are)   .....than a mini14 that's had 2 inches lopped of the barrel by a qualified smith.  (or 5" in the case of my SBR)
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That way, they cannot later be held legally responsible for failures due to modifications or aftermarket parts, and returning a repaired firearm to the owner confers a legal liability for its overall safety as re-shipped.

That was my understanding as well.
Part of the problem would be solved if they would sell some of the parts by themselves rather than insisting on doing the work in house
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Ruger's just got some paranoid people I think. correct me if I'm wrong, but Bill Ruger himself is against high capacity magazines, hence why 30s dont exist any more.
thanks for nuthin

They actually are doing a NRA Mini-14 variant right now that comes from the factory with 2 OEM hi-caps Presumably, Ruger testified in favor of the awb to capitalize on his competition being put out of production. When the Colt AR-15 and Sporter were banned by name (remember, there was very few AR makers then); Ruger's Mini 14 and 30 were protected by name from being banned.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Ruger's just got some paranoid people I think. correct me if I'm wrong, but Bill Ruger himself is against high capacity magazines, hence why 30s dont exist any more.
thanks for nuthin

They actually are doing a NRA Mini-14 variant right now that comes from the factory with 2 OEM hi-caps Presumably, Ruger testified in favor of the awb to capitalize on his competition being put out of production. When the Colt AR-15 and Sporter were banned by name (remember, there was very few AR makers then); Ruger's Mini 14 and 30 were protected by name from being banned.

yeah, I know about the 20s and the new deal.  which is why I specifically referenced 30s.
possibly a good short term solution on Ruger's part, but not long term.  one of the things that turns a lot of people off on the mini is the mag issue.  quality mags (that work reliably) are not cheap.  factory mags command a premium.  unlike the AR platform.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 5:17:43 AM EDT
[#17]
yeah I do agree.  It does turn some people off.  I have been a Ruger fan (Mini 14 and AC556) since the 80s and its too bad the Ruger is so picky with mags.  The factory mags do command a heavy price and they are tough to find if your looking for 30s.  PMIs work ok and some of the thermolds but I think its a fair statement to say that the factory Ruger mags run flawless.

Some people have the wrong idea about the Minis though.  Some people think they just dont run good due to feeding issues in general.  I think some have a false sense that its the gun.  They dont understand that its the mags not the gun.  Its just an incredibly picky gun when it comes to mags.  A friend of mine has an AC556 just like mine and he has been telling me he has never been happy with it since he had it.  I asked him what he uses for mags and he said some cheapo brand.  I told him to let me bring over some of my Rugers and run some of them and see how it runs.  His gun dumped 4 to 5 30rd factory mags flawlessly.  He was very impressed and now realizes that the gun is fine its just picky with its mags.

Nice guns btw...  :)
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Some people have the wrong idea about the Minis though.  Some people think they just dont run good due to feeding issues in general.  I think some have a false sense that its the gun.  They dont understand that its the mags not the gun.  Its just an incredibly picky gun when it comes to mags.  

exactly.  friend of mine brought his newly purchased mini to my ranch the other day.  rifle hung up on 4 or 5 shots out of a 20rd mag.  cheap no name mag.
handed him a factory mag and he ripped thru the whole thing.
"see.....that's what I was telling you before you even bought the thing....factory mags"

PMI's are a close second though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#19]
That is some good looking rifles, But after researching the mag issue I think it might be better for me to just buy a 7.5 upper. (I already have mags, ammo, and a lower)

What about the SKS?
Anyone seen one of these cut down? I have one that I wouldnt mind cutting, But if it
is something that has been done and doesnt work, I dont want to waste the time and money.

I am thinking about going as short as is possible without having to modify the stock and upper handguard length.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#20]

PMI's are a close second though.

yes your right.  I have also had GREAT luck through the years with my Minis and my AC with some of the PMIs too.  The 30s work great.  I have some PMI 40s and a few of them dont work well when you fill them up so I just put 30 in them and they work great.

That is some good looking rifles, But after researching the mag issue I think it might be better for me to just buy a 7.5 upper. (I already have mags, ammo, and a lower)

Dont be totally turned off by the minis because of the mag issues though.  Its a fact the factory mags work the best.   No doubt.  But as said above, the PMIs and the Thermolds work well too and they are found fairly easy.  

my 2 cents,

Rob
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

dont be scared....do something different!
most suppressor manufacturors wont warranty a can on a 7.5 and unless you build a dedicated 22lr pistol, you're not going to get all that much shorter than mine.  and still have 13" of barrel to make it useful.

YMMV

FWIW, I have a 10.5" upper on a SBR lower.  in the works to have a dedicated suppressor on it.  its a nice rifle too.  but my 'mini13' is just completely different.
yes  you spend more on mags, but quality parts for a classic hotrod are more expensive than chrome shop parts for an import too...
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 4:43:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Once I find beat to hell blue GB model or LEO turn-in for 450 or so I will provide pics of my idea.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Once I find beat to hell blue GB model or LEO turn-in for 450 or so I will provide pics of my idea.

care to give a teaser?

fwiw, you dont have to get a beater for $450
I bought a pretty damn nice ranch with some goodies for $400 the other day
(which is why I bought it, like I need 4 minis....)
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#24]
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/Buffdragon/DSC050711.jpg

That is just ridiculously HOT!  Nice work my friend.

I love my Mini-14.  All of the Mini haters out there just don't get it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top