Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2011 9:14:09 AM EDT
I just mailed out my form 1 for my Mini Draco AK Pistol to SBR. It has a 7.5" barrel. OL length with stock folded = 18 1/2" / with CTR stock fully extended = 28 3/8".

I modified a MI rail and when my stamp comes back I will drill and tap the back of the trunnion to install the ACE folding mechanism with integrated AR tube adapter, plus CTR stock, and Noveske QD endplate w/ sling swivel. I will also be adding a KAC handstop (w/ integrated QD swivel) and a stubby VFG. I cut down a KAC VFG, but I am considering a Tango Down instead. Let the wait beging. I will update as I have new info.

I am in Florida and am doing this in my own name. My last name begins with a F. Any idea who I will likely get assigned to???

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Florida = Albert lamberger

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Sick!
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sick!

Thanks! and thank you DG for the examiner info.
Here is a better pic of what it will look like- laying next to the stock and folding mechanism. The back of the reciever has not been drilled or tapped yet and will not be until the stamp is recieved.
Also, a pic of it next to my AR 7.5 Spike's SBR.

As pictured, I have exactly $750 into the Mini Draco SBR to be, plus $200 paid for the stamp. It is a great deal and small- 18" folded and 28 3/8" with the stock fully extended.

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
That's badass.  My next SBR is going to be something very similar.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish they would make a Draco in 5.45x39.  Then you could do the same thing and basically make a Krink for pretty cheap.  That thing is tough as hell looking.  I might do one like that.  Great job man.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 3:35:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a 7.5" AK Pistol, built from a Romy parts kit on a NDS virgin receiver. I guess it would be no different to Form 1 than the Draco....
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 6:41:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I wish they would make a Draco in 5.45x39.  Then you could do the same thing and basically make a Krink for pretty cheap.  That thing is tough as hell looking.  I might do one like that.  Great job man.

That would stop importation of surplus 5.45x39.  Terrible idea.

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 7:02:18 AM EDT
[#8]
That's going to be freaking great dude.  Do we have a definitive ruling on whether or not 922r applies to SBRs?  I've heard both.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's going to be freaking great dude.  Do we have a definitive ruling on whether or not 922r applies to SBRs?  I've heard both.

Thanks!

As for 922r and SBRs/NFA items, I too have seen compelling arguments on both sides of that issue. I am not going to pretend to be able to resolve that dispute.

My personal policy is to err on the side of caution when the law is involved- when in doubt, I comply. I happen to like Tapco G2s, so I am adding a single hook G2 (3), plus the MI rail (1), the CTR stock (1), and a Tapco slant brake (1). I even put on my form 1 under question 4b / type of firearm to be made- "SBR (922r compliant)." I do not think I needed to, but I wanted to avoid any unnecessary delay in getting my stamp just in case I get an examiner that requires 922r compliance.

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a 7.5" AK Pistol, built from a Romy parts kit on a NDS virgin receiver. I guess it would be no different to Form 1 than the Draco....

Correct- it would  be the same to form 1 SBR. Does your 7.5" use standard AK furniture? If so, you will not need to DYI trim a quad rail. You can use standard wood or a universal MI etc.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#11]
constructive possession? very nice though!
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 5:08:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
constructive possession? very nice though!

No it is not. The rear needs to be drilled and tapped and it will not be until my stamp comes in. But thanks for looking out for me

ETA: I needed to measure my parts to make sure I got the form 1 correct. I actually asked for some ACE CTR stock measurements in here, but did not get any responses. I also realized I could not depend on others' measurements due to variables like which ACE device and buffer tube they used. I have 2 milspec AR buffer tubes with a differing number of threads on the end. Unlike an AR, you can screw the buffer tube all the way into an ACE with an AR adapter mounted on an AK because there is no buffer retention post and spring. Simply put, I needed all the parts to accurately measure them.

FYI my ACE with a BCM mil spec buffer tube screwed in just enough to allow me to mount my Noveske QD endplate and CTR stock fully extended when installed will add exactly 12" to the back of my Draco.

So I bought an ACE with the integrated AR adapter (I was also worried about availability) and actually needed to grind down the small nub on the front face to get an accurate measurement of OAL for my form 1. However, I will not drill and tap my Mini Draco until my stamp comes back. My papers went out a couplle of weeks ago. I cannot readily attach the stock because it still needs to be drilled and tapped. I actually do not have the right tap yet and will not get it until after my stamp comes in, but that is not material.

I also have a 4" barrel extension (cnc warrior $11) plus a vortex muzzle device laying around that I could weld on if my form 1 was not approved for any reason, which is not going to be an issue. I have multiple stamps recently approved. Pursuant to US Supreme Court decisions on this issue, if you have a legal way to configure your parts, you have no constructive issues.

I am in Florida and can only address Florida and federal law. I do not know if there are other states' laws that are in play. The guy in Florida who got prosecuted on a constructive SBR charge was allegedly selling parts that had no other legal configuration. If you are not selling, you have a possible legal configuration in case you do not get approved and have sent your paperwork in, you have nothing to worry about.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#13]
ETA: More details for the constructive issue ^.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top