Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2006 5:36:29 AM EDT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I originally wrote this as a reply in another's thread but thought that others on the fence might be interested as well. I'm sure everyone here would like the new top of the line Gen3 but sometimes it's just not in the cards. I have been interested in NV but knew I had to balance this with all the other accessories we seem to accumulate with the BRD. I came across a trade that worked very well to my advantage and couldn't pass it by. (less than half of retail value!) I wish I could've afforded an extra $2k to see another 50yds more clearly, but it will have to wait.

Well, I went out back tonight w/ the ATN Gen2 PS-14. It was a little grainy compared to Vic's Gen3 photos, but I was impressed. I had detail to images 100yds out and recognition capable of 200yds. It came w. a 3x magnifier lens also, it screws into the objective lens in front, it really helps. It also came w/ an IR illuminator (one built in) and one mountable. I was surprised by the reach of this thing!

There are a two small dots on the screen near the perimeter, no big deal. (one at 7 oclock and 2 oclock).
I will try to take a few pics through it this weekend and post them here. It's always nice to see what the options in NV are for others that may be thinking about buying one.

It came w/ a picatinny mount but it does not have enough clearance over my BUIS and length to give proper eye relief.........and line up w/ my 552-which I had to move atop the handguard rail.
I think I might see if a Larue PVS-14 ring mount will fit this. hmmm.

Overall, I'm happy with this. I live in an urban area and won't be night shooting every night...so I don't need the best of the best.
But it's always good to be prepared, right? Have something, not nothing?

Here's a link: ATN PS14-2

Pics to come.

Anybody else have an ATN NV?

Link Posted: 4/28/2006 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]
tag for pics :)
Link Posted: 4/28/2006 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for pics, too.

(hint hint)
Link Posted: 5/2/2006 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I've been trying to take some pics....but it seems like I need three hands! I have difficulty holding the camera just right (to prevent the flash from detonating) and the IR illuminator. I think I almost have it figured out.
BTW, I bought a new 12" Pelican Case the other day from a pawn shop, cheap and cut the foam to accept the NVD and accessories. Here's how it turned out:
Link Posted: 5/2/2006 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
nice!

How 'bout some pics in action??
Link Posted: 5/3/2006 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Well my camera-Fu is weak. I went out a few times and tried to brainwash my digital camera. It enjoys using its flash even when I tell it not to.  

I guess I still need to learn the tricks of this three-handed juggling act. The pics that I took really don't do this ATN NVD justice.
The images are more clear in "person". It's challenging to get the macro-focus to photograph the image plate, hold the camera's front lens close enough AND hold the IR illuminator on target.  

So with that in mind....I went to the Middle school in my neighborhood and set up my tripod. The tripod has a mount that miraculously fits/screws in the bottom of the NVD. I was in the middle of a very large field.
Here goes nothing:

This faces the back of the school, about 150yds away.

this is with the 3X lens screwed on-looking at my truck:

This is looking at a house about 600-650yds away...I'm guessing.:

Same house w/ the 3X lens:

Overall I'm happy with this unit. It might not be AS clear as a Gen3, but it was about $2500 less. Right now this will meet my needs.....If I win a small lottery, well you can bet I'll call Victor and ask for the best bag of goodies. I'll try to work on my camera-Fu and post some better pictures soon. Till then, thanks for reading.
Link Posted: 5/3/2006 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I need to clean the lens.....where did that hair thingy at the top come from?  

ETA: the light blooms aren't really that bad as depicted. I think between trying to hold a finger over the flash-area and keep everything together just made for some bad pictures. I'll post some more of closer objects soon.
Thanks for reading.
Link Posted: 5/3/2006 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Not too shabby.  Thanks for sharing.

Debo
Link Posted: 5/3/2006 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Excellent pics for a first try with a homemade NV camera setup.  Someday...................................
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#9]
can you take a pic in a dark room with no lighting but the IR on?  thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I thought I would try some interior shots as well as closer backyard shots....I'll try again this weekend. It's amazing how busy one can be w/ soccer practice, homework, housestuff, etc...hopefully tehy will trun out better..
Link Posted: 5/5/2006 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#11]
OK, here's another attempt. Here are some inside the house pics. BTW, I forgot to clean the lens...
These are big pics, sorry. I took three pics of same scene: 1-no IR help, 2- built-in IR help, 3- Handheld IR illuminator. Again, sorry for the quality....in real life they are more clear. Here goes:

No IR help-

Built-in IR help-

Handheld IR illuminator-

Another attempt, same format:

No IR-

Handheld IR illum.-

I hope these help someone. Either these will tell you to save your money and get what you really want or tell you it is good enough for your needs. Either way, It's nice to know what's "out there".
I'll try to post a few outdoors stuff over the weekend.
Link Posted: 5/18/2006 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow.  Nice stuff.   Better than I thought they would be, and yet you say that they are not as good as the real image.  Thanks for posting, I look forward to your newest batch as I save my pennies for one myself someday.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top